It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TAU scientists give computers "hindsight" to anticipate the future

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

TAU scientists give computers "hindsight" to anticipate the future

www.aftau.org

Google recently announced that it will fund Tel Aviv University computer scientists and economists to develop this foundational research, a nexus on the cutting edge of computer science and game theory.

"If the servers and routing systems of the Internet could see and evaluate all the relevant variables in advance, they could more efficiently prioritize server resource requests, load documents and route visitors to an Internet site, for instance," Prof. Mansour says...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.webpronews.com
www.wired.com

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Google already has a finger on the pulse of current trends. It wants to predict future trends as well.

Just as a reminder, Google already invested in a company called Recorded Future last year. (I linked to a Wired News article about that in the "additional news links" section.) Now they are funding this program at the University of Tel Aviv that seeks to build an AI than can regret past errors to better anticipate future events.

Honestly, private sector companies don't bother me at all. What I worry about is governments getting their paws on this sort of technology; and they will try.

www.aftau.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Sorry I couldn't resist.

-----

On topic:

I seem to remember other technologies doing this very thing. Doesn't the web bot system do something similar to this already?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

No. The web bot uses linguistics and human interpretation to achieve it's results.

This whole idea of letting something like this loose in the wild doesn't strike me as the smartest idea in the world. Yeah, computers making decisions about the future so Google can infiltrate even more of our lives. Life is like the movies.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Well, without AI I'm not seeing what the potential negatives could be. I'm not sure this is about giving computers the ability to see into the future. This is more about trying to match relevant variables to search queries in order to speed up the process of locating scattered information on the internet.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by billxam

Well, without AI I'm not seeing what the potential negatives could be. I'm not sure this is about giving computers the ability to see into the future. This is more about trying to match relevant variables to search queries in order to speed up the process of locating scattered information on the internet.

Exactly, a star for you. Probably some kind of statistical analysis tied to real time inquiries....

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by billxam

Life finds a way. Who knows how consciousness can manifest itself in a machine? Hindsight= a form of self reflection. Self reflection leads to higher levels of awareness. Given enough time, a machine capable of self reflection could inevitably become sentient or borderline sentient.

new topics

top topics

join