It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug Resistant Bacteria found in nearly half of U.S. meat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Almost half of the meat and poultry sold at U.S. supermarkets and grocery stores contains a type of bacteria that is potentially harmful to humans, a new study estimates.
Researchers tested 136 packages of chicken, turkey, pork, and ground beef purchased at 26 grocery stores in five cities around the country, and found that 47 percent contained Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus), a common cause of infection in people.
What's more, roughly half of the contaminated samples contained strains of the bacteria that were resistant to at least three antibiotics, such as penicillin and tetracycline. Some strains were resistant to a half dozen or more.

Yesterday, I posted a thread pertaining to the recent cuts to the FDA and USDA by our government and the effects it will have. Today as I was waking up CNN reported half the meat in the country is infected with some drug resistant bacteria. What are we supposed to do now become vegetarians until they find something wrong with that also?

CNN Health

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
They poison your food, your water and your air, and actually the ground you stand on.
whens enough enough
shall we keep bending over asking to get shafted

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Ummm ... waiter, could I change that order to "well done".

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pkpuck
They poison your food, your water and your air, and actually the ground you stand on.
whens enough enough
shall we keep bending over asking to get shafted

NO we call STARZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Doesnt staph infection die at 140 degrees? Source

I think we are all going to be OK. I would take it one step further and say that I would cook my met to an internal temp of 160 degrees.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

yep your going to have to explain a little further what you mean by that post. are you trying to take the p?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Everybody needs to STOP feeding into the industrial food system. It will destroy us all unless we change. All those 'preventative' doses of antibiotics we pump into those animals are finally catching up with us. We won't have to wait much longer before S. aureus is more deadly than it is now... natural selection in action.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Almost half the meat is tainted, yet nobody is dying. This is not a new phenomenon, it only now being reported. I suppose that if one eats their meat raw, then they may have an issue; however, if you cook it like a normal person, then the bacteria is killed.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by pkpuck

Dont know what the p is but if the distress is activated by main populace. starz Starz STARZ!!! lol youll see what I mean. The p tho whats that?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yes internal temps have to be 160 degrees for safety and health reasons, most bacteria are going to be little protein specs after those temps, how ever it would not surprise me if high heat resistant mutations evolve.

What would be better to weaponize, than a drug resistant and heat resistant bacteria that could be used to bring down country within a month by contaminating its food production.

There has been reports of al qaeda trying to do so, and that approach would be another low cost yet effective means of attack.

Not cool, in any light it is painted in.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

messed up matey

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Never thought of that, with all the bio research being done I wonder how hard this would be to pull off.
Also from what I heard the easier it is to kill the normal bacteria, like the simple flu, the more deadly and contagious it could be if weaponized and administered properly.
With the budget cuts to the FDA and USDA, compromised with the fact that some of these bacteria may be overlooked as not harmful, this could be very bad.
On the other hand this could just be an attempt to generate political attention to these agencies who's budgets have been cut. Another media attempt to raise awareness, through the use of fear, for change!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Prions anyone?
These nasty little protiens are not alive, they are hard to kill, and they cause diseases!
PRIONS- The cause of MAD COW!-Jakob Creutzfelt syndrome in humans is equivalent, and Scrappie in sheep.
These are distored protiens which become folded mishapenly for whatever reason, and they cannot be killed by normal sterilizing methods.
I believe their temp for sterilizing is in the many hundreds of degrees...1100????
Top of my head.....They have been spread to other people through the operating table, and the dirty(inadequately sterilized) instruments used from one patient to the next.....
Though they go through the autoclaves. they still have these nasty little boogers on them to infect the next patient.
It is believed now, that many who have been in surgery will die within 20-30 yrs of that operation.
These are hardly encouraging figures.
There are other dangers out there too that we will eventually discover,(the better microscopes will)and it is an ongoing process.
I wouldnt get too freaked just yet, but cooking your food will not kill prions....

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pkpuck

Its ok pkpuck. Ignorance can only hide its stench for so long before its smelled accross the entire universe and beyond. And it stinks down here wouldnt you say? Air dirty water dirty land dirty more corrupt minds in controll. smells bad. Dont worry though

Be well
edit on 4/15/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Of course they're going to tell us this.

Cue Codex Alimentarius.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Toffeeapple

Nicely put!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Hmm...I eat a lot of meat and chicken. I've had a problem with staph for a few years now and have never been able to completely get rid of it. Wonder if this has anything to do with it...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
listen...we need to get rid of the vast amount of humans that now populate this planet. half of them are so poor that they are worthless mouth-breathing breeders. why do you think there are so many dieing off in the third world countries. large death producing wars use to work in the past, but people have been able to figure this out, and these massive kill-offs has receded. sexual disease was tried out some 25 years ago, but people have kept that from becoming a pandemic, although it still has a chance in africa and southeast asia to escalate to proper kill rates. chemical induced pollution is the latest rage, and is still going strong, but it also has come under recent resistance. i believe that incurable-disease inducing microbes that are able to adapt to mans shameless pursuit of abundant life, is going to be the wave of the future.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Wow, I am amazed by some of these responses.

Great job posting this, Antebellum. Just a couple of things to add.

A) I saw one post from a person who actually has had Staph. Have you had it personally, anyone? If you did, you would see how painful, debilitating, contagious, and deadly it is. It can kill a healthy person by the time you figure out that you need a doctor. That is the truth.

B) More importantly, the internal temperature of meat must reach 165 degrees for at least 15 seconds to kill organisms and microbes, although not prions.

C) Most restaurants consider it almost blasphemous to cook a steak more than "medium" and I have never heard one word about this in the major steakhouse I have worked for on and off for a five-year period. No one really knows about this.

D) Bump for this very important thread.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is nature's way of saying: "You will stop eating meat."

On a side note, human muscle is "meat", do humans have this resistant bacteria in their muscles as well?

(Asked not because I'm Hannibal Lecter, just scientifically curious!)
edit on 19-7-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join