It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Ancient Religions Had Saviors Dying On A Cross?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Let's see...

Savior-God on Cross (Aztec)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hesus (Druid) - three different depictions

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Crucifixion in Space"
(from Moore's Hindu Pantheon)

Krishna (Hindu)

Dionysus - Sion Christ

Ixion (Greek)

Quetzalcoatl (Aztec)

The zoomorphic form of the Codex Borgianus, from 15th-century Mexico. It represents the 'Crucified Saviour of the New World.' The Spanish monks who first went to Mexico were surprised to find the crucifix there and discovered it to be a representation of the death of Quetzalcoatl.

Dionysus (Greco-Roman)

Dionysus (Greco-Roman)

Dionysus Resurrected

Link...

edit on 15-4-2011 by rstregooski because: text

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Too many, thats why the option is off the table this time around.... thinks deities caught on to how it goes down here and will come a lil more..... Aggressive in tone this time round. Its sad though when you think about it supposed good come get slain so now good gotta come a lil more prepared to fight and not just welcome with open arms.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

Maybe I'm just missing something, but could you link to some other information or writings actually discussing these dying on crosses?

Reading on Quetzalcoatl (at least the one death account I came across), he set himself on fire.

Krishna was mortally wounded in battle...

Can we get something other than them on pictures of crosses? I think there's something out of context here, perhaps.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Cool great , this shows just another way that the content of the bible could be a retelling of older history.
there are many other parallel's in history regarding religion.
The only point i would like to make is that while yes some of these deitys do have similarity's to jesus, the art is later depictions of the gods in christ like crucifixion poses . ie the two of Dionysus.
Romantic artists of the later century's often depicted things to relate to jesus type art, hey it was cool then and in some ways still is..
but while Dionysus was a god of death and rebirth i haven't actually found ancient records of him on a cross (ie before christ was born) only later depictions.
but yes thanks for posting this

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by rstregooski

Maybe I'm just missing something, but could you link to some other information or writings actually discussing these dying on crosses?

Reading on Quetzalcoatl (at least the one death account I came across), he set himself on fire.

Krishna was mortally wounded in battle...

Can we get something other than them on pictures of crosses? I think there's something out of context here, perhaps.

Yes it looks to me like all of these different religions are referring to the one an only Jesus Christ, and not to their own deities, I have studied many religions and christianity is the only one that claims to have had a savior who died on a cross.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
Cool great , this shows just another way that the content of the bible could be a retelling of older history.
there are many other parallel's in history regarding religion.

Yes I always think of it this way, that these are very old tales, and some where along the line they got changed, the story got shorter and shorter after re writing and rewriting over and over again and that some how these stories
are older and some how different as they once were.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It's not always a cross, some of the traditions from northern cultures have had their deities die on the Oak.

It is a reoccuring theme among many religious foundations. Seems more common in the tribal and more primal of the cultures. In others it was used as a ritual for trance, or visions.

Perhaps the christian faith borrowed it because the theme was already an accepted belief. Much like how the catholics stole pagan gods, and turned them into saints...

Who knows what religion will look like in another 1000 years, but I personally hope they will evolve in to a more than ignorance based faith.

edit on 15-4-2011 by ADVISOR because: I need the practice...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR

Perhaps the christian faith borrowed it because the theme was already an accepted belief. Much like how the catholics stole pagan gods, and turned them into saints...

Yes, i agree with this, combine that with the fact Catholics worship a female deity in the form of Mary which parallelsthe pagan duality god myths, then look at the the "pagan symbols" in use in the church like the cross as the sword or phallic symbol and the chalice of Jesus's life giving blood as the cauldron of life and many can see why catholicism is often seen as a take on Wiccan magik.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
another one that slightly counts is odin, being hung from a tree and then resurrected.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Originally posted by ADVISOR

Originally posted by sprocket2cog

Yes, i agree with this, combine that with the fact Catholics worship a female deity in the form of Mary which parallelsthe pagan duality god myths, then look at the the "pagan symbols" in use in the church like the cross as the sword or phallic symbol and the chalice of Jesus's life giving blood as the cauldron of life and many can see why catholicism is often seen as a take on Wiccan magik.

Roman Crucifixion was a gruesome form of capital punishment used by several ancient nations, especially the Romans. Crucifixion was incredibly painful, hence the term excruciating.

...The length of time required to die from crucifixion could range from hours to a number of days.

Roman Crucifixion

Crucifixions were standard with Rome. The Crucifixion of Jesus, Peter and Andrew etc... wasn't Christians "borrowing" a cross.... It was a method for torture / execution used by Rome. Maybe the "meaning" or creation of various symbols and emblems, as well as "language" would be a brilliant thread... but that doesn't apply here eh?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This is interesting. Why did you chose to share these pictures?
Are these recent images?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
hrm that last post didn't even post! Guess I'm either truly cursed or who knows what..

Anyways. THe cross is the meridian and equator lines in the sky around orion. THis reality was MADE by something so buckle the fk up as soon some nice proof of how fabricated this solar system is is going to be exposed to you.

I'm going to show them unless you deposit a large sum of money into my account by midnight and get me out of this coutnry so I may go live and die in seclusion somewhere. if I have to go on my own with what little I have then I show them everything!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I also learned while taking religions of the world for philosophy about the similarities in the origin stories of different cultures. They all seem similar in their creation of earth and the heavens, eerily similar, and their stories of the creation of man.

It seems almost too close to be a coincidence.

new topics

top topics

join