It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Attacks.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I for one know how difficult it can to put a bite on the old tongue sometimes, though I don't think I've ever attacked a fellow member of ATS. I personally believe we should be able to say whatever we like about those who deliberately lie or perpetrate a hoax on this site, to promote their own website. (Those who claim to have been told by E.T's the date they will be showing up en masse over our cities, for example.) I do not believe we should be attacking our fellow members in the manner some of us do, and in some cases, non-members as well. Even though very few members know each other on a personal level, we are still similar in some ways to a big family, and although as such we will always have our disagreements, it isn't neccessary to do so in a way that is demeaning and possibly very hurtful to others who may happen to read it, including non-members. Telling someone they are "nothing but a friggin' retard" could possibly be read by a parent/s of a child who is "mentally challenged", and are themselves dealing with their own emotions as they struggle financially to get the proper care for their child. There are other examples I could use, but I'm sure you all know what I mean. Perhaps some will read this and say it's none of my business if people choose to hurt each other with their choice of words, and they would be right, it isn't any of my business. I just hate seeing good folk get hurt, whether emotionally or physically. I'm only suggesting we should be a little more careful with our words if discussions between members get a little heated at times. If anyone finds themselves about to "go over the edge" during a heated discussion, try thinking of something silly like the other person standing in front of you with their nose buried and stuck in a tomato. Maybe I'm becoming an old fool, but it seems the older I get, the smaller the world becomes.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The thing is, there are all sorts of people who have stumbled upon ATS. Some are literate; some are not. Some have the wisdom of years, some have the clarity of youth, or the naivete of it.

Some ATSr's are plain old ignoramuses, bullies or egotistical a-holes. It is hard to make them all comply to the same set of principles; thus the Terms and Conditions are ever so important.

As for your post, you could familiarize yourself with the "return" key so that paragraphs are created. Instead of one stream of thought to wade through we would have bite sized portions to much on. That would also help make the experience here nicer.

If I could, I would be up there in Northern Ontario to enjoy the splendor of nature outdoors and relax from all the b.s. of the web, but maybe I'll wait for summer to do that.
Lucky you, you don't have to wait.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hey I must state that in all fairness people are going to be just that people. I never personally attacked anyone or fellow members of ATS, but I have been attacked. I mean what are you going to do?

This video is SO related to the topic, I just had to add it.

edit on 15-4-2011 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Tao Te Ching (part 30):

Whoever relies on the Tao in governing men
doesn't try to force issues
or defeat enemies by force of arms.
For every force there is a counterforce.
Violence, even well intentioned,
always rebounds upon oneself.

The Master does his job
and then stops.
He understands that the universe is forever out of control, and that trying to dominate events goes against the current of the Tao.
Because he believes in himself,
he doesn't try to convince others.
Because he is content with himself,
he doesn't need others' approval.
Because he accepts himself,
the whole world accepts him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---

Sometimes we have to let it all out. It is what it is...

edit on 15-4-2011 by Topato because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I thought I was sending a letter to the mods, and instead I get you! I'm not a writer, nor do I pretend to be one! Just where the hell do you get off telling me what to do? I suggest you mind your own damn business! It is nice up here, although the blackflies and mosquitos can drive a person insane. I used to love getting out and enjoying nature, and was blessed by having had a career working in the outdoors.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

I can confirm the blackflies and mosquitoes, spent many years in the north between Bancroft and North Bay digging rocks...

But no, you posted in an open forum... not a letter to the mods

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
One mans personal attack is another mans debating style.

There's nothing wrong with being a bit sarcy or snippy, as long as it doesn't boil over.

Equally, sarcy and snippy are effective debating tools as long as it doesn't become personal.

I've been guilty of this in the past - I doubt if there are many people on the boards who have not done it at one time or another.

Either learn from it, and use it to your advantage, or get steamed up and become emotional - I know which one I prefer.

On the other hand, if someone is personal for the sake of it, you always have the option of hitting the alert button

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

Dude, with your reactionary attitude I can guarantee that you will be seeing a lot more negatives in your future on this site. That is just the sort of thing that will get another reactionary all tooled up.

I am not expecting anyone to be a "writer" or to have perfect grammar all the time. Far from it, but one of the most annoying things is to have to read thru one huge, non-stop spewing of words. Sometimes it goes on for half a page without a break. That is really hard to read.

All I was suggesting is that you from time to time hit the return key a couple of times and start a new paragraph. That makes it a hell of a lot easier for folks, like me, who really do want to know what you are on about. K?

peace out

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
"Board Business & Questions: This forums should be used to post questions regarding site policies, problems with site functionality/features, and respond to announcements from ownership. This is not a place to post complaints."

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn
reply to post by wayno

I thought I was sending a letter to the mods, and instead I get you! I'm not a writer, nor do I pretend to be one! Just where the hell do you get off telling me what to do? I suggest you mind your own damn business! It is nice up here, although the blackflies and mosquitos can drive a person insane. I used to love getting out and enjoying nature, and was blessed by having had a career working in the outdoors.

Bkrmn it is off the chart how you just went from one side of the spectrum to another. I'll figure your OP was not a master troll and you meant what you wrote. But you went and exemplified the very demeanor you found reprehensible in your response to the poster. Flipped the script at alarming speed.

Honestly I don't know if you are being humorous or hypocritical in your response.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn
reply to post by wayno

I think we see an --EXAMPLE-- of what the OP is talking about ??

correct.

a purposeful excercise.....

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Bkrmn,

I see that what you had wrote originally intended for Mods was sincere, and I as a 12 years member of ATS do understand your viewpoint. People are going to attempt to provoke a response from you regardless of your views, and they are just best to be ignored(if possible).

Now, for the unbearable trolls from hades, you do have the option of pushing the ALERT button(located in that person's profile under the drop down selection menu by their name), and a mod will review the incident at their most possible convenience, and the mods are pretty fast and fair in their decisions. Just be mindful of the Mods' time and know that they cannot scan every post for egregious offences. I do understand though your issue even though it was not intended for public viewing.

You seem to me to be a man of logic and discretion, I say stay on the path. I am with you on this one, and do not feel alone for there are countless members here on ATS who feel the exact same way. issues are meant to be addressed! I mean here it is you have a Forum like ATS, and you then have people who come here with their PERSONAL AGENDAS to push onto other people when more than 85% of ATS'ers are already set on what they know and only come to congregate for intelligent debate.

Regarding that other 15%, just be a bigger person than they are and ignore them, and if they persist on intruding...push the ALERT button and notify the Mods. That is all that you can do for them.
edit on 16-4-2011 by maestromason because: *correction/addition

top topics

join