It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live animals sold as key rings in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is just sad, all this unnecessary animal cruelty must stop.

edition.cnn.com...

Live animals sold as key rings in China

Small fish, turtles and other amphibians are being sold in Beijing as mobile phone trinkets and key rings, to the chagrin of animal rights groups.

Kept in bags filled with colored, oxygenated water the animals cost around $1.50 each.

One vendor selling the animals outside of a Beijing subway station told CNN that the bag contained crystallized oxygen and nutrients.

She said that that the animals could live for days but also warned that they should be freed from the bag as soon as the air ran out or they would suffocate.

Among the animals being sold are young Chinese soft-shell turtles - the adult turtles are a popular dish in Chinese cooking.
RELATED TOPICS

Animal Rights
Beijing
Asia

The live trinkets have been condemned by animal rights groups who have highlighted the lack of animal protection laws in China.

"Lack of food and diminishing oxygen concentrations within both the water and the small amount of air in these plastic pouches will cause the animals to die in a relatively short period of time after the pouches are sealed," said David Neale, animal welfare director of Animals Asia.

"If a national animal protection law was enacted in China, such acts of cruelty could be prevented, and those who persist in causing harm and suffering to animals within their care could be prosecuted."

Neale also warned that keeping a turtle in a bag and then as a pet could have health implications for people.

"Individuals should also be aware of the potential human health risks associated with being in close contact with animals such as turtles. Turtles frequently carry salmonella bacteria that can cause serious illness," he said.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Degenerates.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This is so wrong. How can they do that?

Is anything being done to stop it or people just look the other way? What on Earth made them think putting live animals in a bag and sealing it would make something good? Who buys that anyway? Unless it's to free the poor thing.

This sort of thing just breaks my heart.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Casandra because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
If they're eating them too it its just like carrying a snack around.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

This is so wrong.
I wonder just how low will they go?
I am not looking forward to their
next fad.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
China is where they skinned the furry alive, for their fur, remember. I first became apprised of that right here on ATS. Way back in '08 or '07, thereabouts. Lets just hope that the massive earthquakes they had, (remember that one, it was really massive and catastrophic?) killed alot of those 'people' who were doing that. It would make me smile, if I knew that for sure.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wtf? Why are they killing turtles?!! That's so cruel.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Absolutely disgusting.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Can we post a few more one-liners people?
Sheesh.

China's youth and culture is extremely similar to our own(US), so to me it seems this is just another money making scheme at the expense of innocent animals. For some chinese, its worse than that. Their animals have no 'rights'. Almost as if the people think animals are sub-standard.

Cruel, yes.
Disgusting, extremely.
But when you have a culture that is motivated by money, this is the result.
And they say the west influences their drive for profits.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This is the same country that gave us "Cat in a jar" where cats were from kittens raised in tiny glass jars on peoples work desks, fed through a tube.. the cat not being able to expand has it's body form the entire volume of the jar.

Nearly all news out of China is disgusting.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
This is the same country that gave us "Cat in a jar" where cats were from kittens raised in tiny glass jars on peoples work desks, fed through a tube.. the cat not being able to expand has it's body form the entire volume of the jar.

Nearly all news out of China is disgusting.

The "cat in a jar" was a hoax.
Bonsai Kitten

Cats pee and poop, and jar of cat would get unpleasant fast.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This has to make you wonder about the chinese, i mean comon what are they thinking?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I'd buy as many as I could and release every single one of them.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

But if you buy them, then they would think these key chains are very popular and keep making them.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Casandra
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

But if you buy them, then they would think these key chains are very popular and keep making them.

Damn, trying to do something positive will turn into a negative, yapper!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

I love all the racism on this board, just because a couple of Chinese people thinks this is okay to sell then automatically all 1,400,000,000 Chinese thinks the same way. Racist.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeBoss
reply to post by lokdog

I love all the racism on this board, just because a couple of Chinese people thinks this is okay to sell then automatically all 1,400,000,000 Chinese thinks the same way. Racist.

Just like how a certain unamed group thinks it's ok to lump 1,500,000,000 Arabs in the same category as the less then 2,500,000 that are radicalized terrorists.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

Didn't they sell platform shoes with goldfish in the heels, in the 70's?

China alert: the new trick is to put chemicals in the plastic comprising your Christmas light strings. All the outdoor animals love them, and after a few months the plastic will be so ravaged that you won't even have to remove the strands. I'm taking the 87 dollars off my debt to them.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
That's awful

I love how we will go out of our way to kill an animal that attacked someone that was in THEIR habitat, yet we humans think it's okay to torture them for fun or for no reason.

What, the hell.

new topics

top topics

join