It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faraday cages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
What would you recommend as an effective Faraday cage?

I was thinking about it this morning and wouldn't a Gun safe work as a Faraday cage (Grounded of course)?

Any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
ammunition box.

popcorn tin.

mesh wire wrapped around container.

ESD shipping materials. (for all you warehouseman and factory workers)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Microwave. Faraday cages are fairly easy to make.

Check Here

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Aluminum foil, copper screening, metal box, tins. Mylar is a very effective Faraday cage. The important thing to remember is that the waveform that you're protecting from is large - as such the container does not need to be a solid surface. However, the object being protected has to be isolated from the Faraday cage.

When I am not using my laptop, it goes in a Faraday cage. My shortwave radio resides in a Faraday cage.

I'm building a safe room in our basement, surrounded on three sides by concrete walls, 4x4 construction. It will be a Faraday cage with Mylar sheeting wrapping the room.

College lecture about Faraday cages

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
do you live within range of cell towers? got a smart meter? how about cell phones or chordless phones? wireless internet?

then your likely residing within a wiresless 3d imagining grid, a small plane simply flys over and radars the area, the interference between signals is then rendered into a 3D map of objects or persons. yes, even in your home.

If you want to defeat this kind of technology in a single localized area, create a Faraday Cage. It's quite simple, line the entire area with some cheap electrically conductive metal like aluminum foil and ground it to a single point, like your water pipe or another earth ground like a steel spike driven 10 to 20 feet into the ground or a metal well pipe.

If you want to do it in a car, make a wideband RF receiver, pass the received signal toa small RF preamp, invert the signal and then pass it to an RF transmitter. The sum of the two signals, the input and the output will equal zero if done properly.

If you want to do this personally, same as the car, except attach a piezo electric transducer to your skin and emit the output through it which will use the skin as the emitter.

Summing any two equal but inverse signals equals zero. I did this kind of work though the NRC in Canada back in the mid 90's and it works quite well, we were however using it primarily for medical purposes, eg. large carrier wave function collapse during an indication of organ failures to prevent further damage or reverse the situation.

Cheers - Dave

posted by ats user bobs_uruncle

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
ammunition box.

Yep this is the one all my dad's military types used to talk about when I was a kid (this was back when car engines were simple and the cold war was still ravin) - they would get an ammo tin in the boot (trunk) of the car with all the various electrical necessities for a vehicle to run (anything more delicate than a distriubter cap was the rule of thumb I was told) - then they had an earth lead fixed to the frame of the car in some way, but that's not totally necessary.

Of course now a days you need to work for NASA to understand the working of the key fob that makes the coffee, deactivates the immobiliser and allows you to drive off... Your gonna need a serious amount of spare electrical components shielded in faraday cages in the boot if your looking to do that today... And I bet you the last potassium iodide pill you will forget at least one
- even something like the sensor in the exhaust system will make your car into a pretty road block if it so chooses, things like that you can by pass of course... But will you be able to figure that out under pressure?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by billxam
Aluminum foil, copper screening, metal box, tins. Mylar is a very effective Faraday cage. The important thing to remember is that the waveform that you're protecting from is large - as such the container does not need to be a solid surface. However, the object being protected has to be isolated from the Faraday cage.

When I am not using my laptop, it goes in a Faraday cage. My shortwave radio resides in a Faraday cage.

I'm building a safe room in our basement, surrounded on three sides by concrete walls, 4x4 construction. It will be a Faraday cage with Mylar sheeting wrapping the room.

College lecture about Faraday cages

What do you mean it has to be separated? So if i took a, lets say, shoe box and wrapped it in mylar would that be sufficient to shield the electronics from some sort of EMP?

& i was looking at building a safe room in my backyard underground. Way to expensive for me though

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
any grounded metal container

and a microwave is anther choice built in faraday cage that keeps the microwave zapping your food instead of you

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sforscott
& i was looking at building a safe room in my backyard underground. Way to expensive for me though

You could make it as expensive or as cheep as you like - dig a hole big enough to put a metal trash can in and there you go!..... In fact why bother with the hole, just put your stuff in the metal container, seriously you could wrap tin foil around a shoe box or you could EMP proof an underground zombie shelter - it all does the same thing as regards EMP's.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sforscott

I know a component geek..his shed/garage is a faraday cage....

tin sheet metal outside walls and roof, chicken wire lined inside "stapled" to the walls and cieling, "looks like its ready for stucco work to be done..

He was going to use old box spring matresses..
But his wife said it looked like his workshop was for a crazy person.."rubber room"..not so sure she isn't right.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by Sforscott

You could make it as expensive or as cheep as you like - dig a hole big enough to put a metal trash can in and there you go!..... In fact why bother with the hole, just put your stuff in the metal container, seriously you could wrap tin foil around a shoe box or you could EMP proof an underground zombie shelter - it all does the same thing as regards EMP's.

See i heard the old tin foil around a shoe box thing, but it doesn't sound as if that would work. I don't know, i just don't see how that would be sufficient. I don't wanna get in a SHTF scenarioand have my faraday cage fail you know?

top topics

join