It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congresswoman Speier Describes One Woman's Nightmare Of Being Raped In The US Military - Sad Story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

This is a very sad story, a sad story about something that isn't spoken about enough

It's the entire system

According to a 2003 study by the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, at least one-third of all women veterans have experienced rape or sexual assault by fellow US military members frequently of higher rank during their service, and thirty percent of military women experience domestic violence. Moreover, rape occurs in the military nearly twice as often as in the civilian world.

www.msmagazine.com...

Today is 2011, imagine stats today, must be even worse

The entire system is part of the problem
Superiors telling vitcims to shut up

Something needs to be done, something needed to be done a long time ago

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This is sad, so so sad.

edit on 15-4-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Rape is one of the most dehumanizing crimes there is and should warrent a zero tolerance from the brass. It just makes my stomach roll thinking how these young women put there lives on the line to protect and serve our country and shat like this happens to them.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Mhm, I hope you don't expect ATS to care, ATS hates women

ATS does not hate women

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

edit on 15-4-2011 by DrumsRfun because: not needed anymore.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

You are halfway to the right answer.

They are kicked out of the military and shipped home, its just that home is a 5x8 cell in levenworth.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Who the men or women?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Sometimes they do.

It just depends, sorry for that comment.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

You are seriously confused as to who goes to levenworth?

Actually after your Kanye West moment with your "ATS hates women" comment I understand you being easily confused.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

First time commentator, but your post really struck home.

This isn’t just a Military thing. The stigma of rape is often buried. There are way too many variations that the victim often uses to help cover it up, when in reality, they are helping the perp get away with his/her crime.

As a guy, believe it or not, I can associate with it. Multiple scenarios which I wish I never experienced. I have retired from the service and have pretty much been in the Military my whole life. (Born in a Military hospital to a lifer Father, then joined myself) I will give you three examples from my life’s experiences. These took place back in the 80’s. (But I have many more during the following decades)

One: I was friends for about a year with a female Soldier who was not in my Chain of Command (I don’t poo on my kitchen table) I started caring about her as more than a friend and erroneously thought that maybe she felt the same way about me. I went kiss her one night, just a peck and she went frigid and said, “Nu, nu, nu NO! Get away from me! Gotta say, that freaked me out. She later came to me and said the five words all guys hate. “I just want to be friends”. But I’m cool with that. Honesty is the best policy after all. She later confessed that she has been a multiple rape victim, but refused to testify, afraid of ruining her career. She never came forward to the best of my knowledge as we lost contact with each other over the years.

Two: I was brought up on EO charges because I caught a couple of young female Soldiers practicing dance moves when they were supposed to be doing inventory. I chewed them out, made them do push-ups and supervised them until the inventory was complete. The Soldiers had the integrity to admit that they were put off with my actions during the inquiry and charges dropped. One of these Soldiers then filed another EO (This one racism) charge after I walked in on her having sex with her supervisor. She thought I was targeting her, even though we worked in the same AO daily. Once again honesty won the day and my career was spared.

Three: I had another female friend who was also a Soldier, hard charging, Alpha personality. I liked her…but her husband was also a friend, (see the kitchen reference). Prepping for a Platoon party she came on to me, I refused. Later she came up behind me, held a K-Bar to my throat and said, “**** me”. Talk about pressure. She also held it “Down there” and said it again. Couldn’t do it. I managed to talk my way out of it but the friendship needless to say was never the same. Scary stuff, and in my opinion, worse than combat, because it’s personal.

I have many more such stories, but the fact of it is, this is life. Live your life with honor and integrity. But remember, these two standards required hard decisions. In many cases we can choose to be the victim. I choose not to be.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Nvm, I looked it up. LOL "Kanye West moment" -- I said sorry about that.

top topics

join