It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Long Valley Supervolcano Activating? Swarm Just started

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
this is where we all know the japanese quake occured:

Friday, March 11, 2011 at 05:46:23 UTC
Friday, March 11, 2011 at 02:46:23 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

and THIS is where the current swarm of NV quakes is happening SW of Hawthorne:

Friday, April 15, 2011 at 21:46:27 UTC
Friday, April 15, 2011 at 02:46:27 PM at epicenter

notice the latitude?

just sayin - i recall hoagland mentioning something about geomagnetic lay lines

having significant, similar latitudes. is a current 'geomagnetic fault line' along this latitude?

remember, the usgs thought the NV quakes were unusual due to an unknown fault line. like haiti.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalloway
reply to post by kro32

Thank you, kro32. Your answer proves why it is such a boon to have a formally educated geologist around! With your answer in mind, am I correct in understanding that it would not be likely to see a large eruption from Long Valley, Yellowstone, Toba or any of the other biggies with just earthquakes as a warning signal? The vision that scares me is the Hollywood-esque vignette of a giant super-eruption with no real reliable warning signs. I fear the scenario of logging onto ATS, seeing a new thread forecasting the imminent eruption of one of the biggies, and then actually witnessing the eruption a few hours later. I long for the assurance that there would be unmistakable signs and portents that an eruption was on the way, well before a mega eruption would ever take place. I guess that's what all of us probably hope for.

You are correct in that it is generally accepted based on evidence that none of the supervolcanoes will go in our lifetime or your grandchildrens lifetime. However, and this is a big however, it is impossible to predict. In geology things can happen very quickly and i'll give you an example.

In Itzicuaro Valley of central Mexico there was a farmer named Dionisio Pulido. There had been several weeks of earthquakes and sounds like thunder coming from beneath the surface of his farm, (low rumbling noise anyone), one day while he was preparing his cornfield for planting, he noticed that a hole he had been trying to fill for years had opened in the ground at the base of a knoll.

As he watched, the surrounding ground swelled, rising over two meters, while sulfurous gases and ash began billowing from the hole. By that night, the hole was ejecting glowing-red rock fragments high into the air. By the next day, the cinder cone had grown to 10m high as rocks and ash continued to be blown into the sky by the eruption.

After only 5 days, the cinder cone had grown to more than 100m high. This happened on february 20, 1943, in June of that year a fissure opened in the base of the now 400m high cone and produced a basaltic lava flow that overran the nearby village of San Juan Parangaricutiro. Within a decade the volcano was dormant

So the point is that while we may be able to monitor these things now, they can happen extremely fast. What scientists and geologists say are only their best guesses. However with the case of Mt. Pinatubo in the Phillipeans the geologists for all intents and purposes accurately assumed how that volcano would react so our methods appear to be improving.

And yes there will be other signs present before a major eruption occurs. However, increase in seismic activity will be a good indicator to start looking at the other evidence.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Would someone give me one good reason why I should ever post a thread again at this website? :shk: What a cluster****.

I asked if it was activating. I never claimed it was erupting. I posted a rapidly increasing swarm only AFTER it showed very rapid increase. I provided evidence of this. Another poster showed early on that even the experts were concerned. I have tried to contact pros with no response yet. No one has addressed the nature and character of these quakes. Not PuterMan, not what's his face, not NO ONE. Most posts are totally off topic. I mean WTF.

THIS SUCKS

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Sorry TA - I know you're an excellent source and an asset to ATS...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I remember reading about that volcano as a child! The story was told from the point of view of the farmer's young son. It has stuck with me all these years. Think it might have been Hill of Fire by Thomas P. Lewis.

Again, thank you for your insight. So appreciated. ATS and the amazing people who participate here continue to have a hand in saving my sanity from one day to the next!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

www.n2yo.com... same game different venue. I think they are unsing otv2 for site calibrating.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I live in Las Vegas and absolutely not one mention on the news or in the Review Journal and have been looking since i read the post from a few days ago.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

And no mention or coverage whatsoever here in Vegas either

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Would someone give me one good reason why I should ever post a thread again at this website? :shk: What a cluster****.

I asked if it was activating. I never claimed it was erupting. I posted a rapidly increasing swarm only AFTER it showed very rapid increase. I provided evidence of this. Another poster showed early on that even the experts were concerned. I have tried to contact pros with no response yet. No one has addressed the nature and character of these quakes. Not PuterMan, not what's his face, not NO ONE. Most posts are totally off topic. I mean WTF.

THIS SUCKS

Noooooo, TA! Please don't be like that! You are amazing with this stuff! I cannot begin to communicate the gratitude I feel towards you. You are a sentinel. You are an earthquake barometer. If it were not for the likes of you, PuterMan, Robin, and the other dedicated watchers, I don't know what I would do. Look at the number of flags and stars for this thread! You are trusted implicitly by so many of us.

I think a lot of us are in a watch and see holding pattern right now about this new LV swarm. I think many of us are starting to suffer from earthquake and volcano overload. I am utterly exhausted from the past couple of months of this heightened awareness and I'm willing to bet a lot of the rest of us who hang around Fragile Earth are too. Between Japan, and Yellowstone, and Arkansas, and New Zealand, and Haiti, and now LV we are just at a loss.

I for one know you are taking care of it, staying on top of the new activity and will alert us with any new info. It's just so much to take in. So much.
edit on 15-4-2011 by dalloway because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
this is where we all know the japanese quake occured:

Friday, March 11, 2011 at 05:46:23 UTC
Friday, March 11, 2011 at 02:46:23 PM at epicenter

and THIS is where the current swarm of NV quakes is happening SW of Hawthorne:

Friday, April 15, 2011 at 21:46:27 UTC
Friday, April 15, 2011 at 02:46:27 PM at epicenter

notice the latitude?

just sayin - i recall hoagland mentioning something about geomagnetic lay lines

having significant, similar latitudes. is a current 'geomagnetic fault line' along this latitude?

remember, the usgs thought the NV quakes were unusual due to an unknown fault line. like haiti.

I predicted back when the Chilean 8.8 quake hit that the Long Valley Caldera will soon errupt, from a new caldera location, which would trigger both the san andreas and cascadian fault zones, and ultimately set off yellowstone...

roughly 6 months later the Markleeville flurries began to occur, which proved inconclusive. Now we have Hawthorne, Nevada... and authorities are now chiming in on this... My theory about Long Valley is proving true...

I pray my prediction won't proceed according to my intuition, however, it appears that it may, NOW with Yellowstone ultimately in the crosshairs....

Part of the Western Half of North America is about to shatter. from central California to Baja California, Mexico... With everything west of the Sierra Nevada Mountains slipping off into the ocean and the mountain range forming a new California coastline. The Peuget Sound will get a little wider. The Snake River Plain Plateau will lift...

Alaska, the Alluetian Islands, and the Kamchatka Peninsula will errupt.

The Rocky Mountain and Grand Teton Mountain Ranges will lift, and Yellowstone will respond... I have no doubt too that the New Madrid Fault Zone will then be set to initiate...

Japan will go critical, all vents blazing... as the island nation is ripped apart... and sinks below tsunami waves that never seem to end, from the sea...

And then Solar Cycle 24 will grow quiet... and the dust will settle.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by laslidealist

I'm in Vegas as well, that is why Long Valley is so close to my mind...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

The Nevada quake swarm is pictured on a California-Nevada map by the USGS with the Long Valley super-volcano caldera at Mammoth Lakes pictured near the lower center. As can be seen from the map, the Nevada quakes are not erupting along any previously known fault lines which means this could be some seismic activity related to movement of magma within the caldera of the Long Valley volcano. The Long Valley volcano map gives a comprehensive view of the radius of the caldera and puts it within the range of the current Nevada quake swarm.

Word Press

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

That's alot to digest - can I ask what you're basing this on?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krzyzmo

The Nevada quake swarm is pictured on a California-Nevada map by the USGS with the Long Valley super-volcano caldera at Mammoth Lakes pictured near the lower center. As can be seen from the map, the Nevada quakes are not erupting along any previously known fault lines which means this could be some seismic activity related to movement of magma within the caldera of the Long Valley volcano. The Long Valley volcano map gives a comprehensive view of the radius of the caldera and puts it within the range of the current Nevada quake swarm.

Word Press

lmao!... the Authorities are saying TODAY the very thing I said YESTERDAY!

ok, I know, new post on an old thread... but now there's a new flurry of what appears to be earthquake flurries (resembling a harmonic tremor?) comming from the Hawthorne, Nevada area... not exactly within the LV Caldera 'zone' but damn close enough to consider it a L.V. Caldera magma chamber extention possibility!

at this point, I wouldn't discount Markleeville either. There clearly was magmatic movement resembling Harmonic Tremors there not 6 months ago, resembling what we're seeing at Hawthorne today. Markleeville therefore may have a magma chamber extention ready to go too.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo

Won't be anything in Vegas news as the quakes are not big enough to cause damage. Shaking up a few Desert Tortoises won't make the evening news

edit on 16-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I see quakes all throughout history at many magnitudes. I commend your efforts and think most people here can't wait to post something thats more of a spectacular event before anyone else does. We are in a 3600 year cycle and it's only going to get worse. Once this cycle pass's and if and I mean IF any of us are still here. Then, I will awe your posts.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Mercury News has it..

No reports of injuries after 4 quakes hit Nevada
www.mercurynews.com...

Reno has it

Swarm of Quakes have Experts Concerned - My News 4 - KRNV, Reno, NV
www.mynews4.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

That's alot to digest - can I ask what you're basing this on?

1. The geologic layout of the Western half of the North American Continent... which btw (according to some experts) includes the Kamchatka Peninsula and Japan.

2. Current Solar Activity

3. Current 'Ring of Fire' disturbances - AKA Chile, New Zealand, Indonesia, and Japan

4. the geologic CHAOS VARIABLE known as the Juan De Fuca tectonic plate

5. the geologic CHAOS VARIABLE known as Mississippi Canyon 118

6. the geologic CHAOS VARIABLE known as the Keweenawan Rift zone

7. Edgar Cayce Quatrains

8. Personal Intuition.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Heyyo_yoyo

Won't be anything in Vegas news as the quakes are not big enough to cause damage. Shaking up a few Desert Tortoises won't make the evening news

edit on 16-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

lol... Zorgon, you know it's against the law to molest Desert Tortoises!!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
im predicting a large earth quake in puerto rico within the next 2 days. Just because it sounds cool to say. I am really gratefull when people make these threads... ive read them all.. and have been checking usgs every day after the great yellowstone thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join