It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Long Valley Supervolcano Activating? Swarm Just started

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by coloradokat

left underneath of the site is an english flag.. press on that one ....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
anyone ever noticed that yelowstone/st helens/longvally-monolake makes an almost perfect triangle of approx 950 km???????hmm and jordan craters in the centre of the triangle.........

check it out on google earth..
edit on 19-4-2011 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican To some others though I am the devil incarnate, out to scare the crap out of people and make stars and flags.

Really?

Well, my answer to that is I don't mind the stars, flags, or scaring the crap out of someone if it potentially can save their life. I believe that we all have choices in life. And a key one is where to live, in the sense of the broader environment around us.

Ah well see that is the real problem... where to live... Everywhere in the world there is an issue of some sort, whether earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, hurricanes, land slides, tornado allies, nuke plants going into meltdown... etc etc...

Now we also have holes in the ozone layer (a red herring really) giant breaches in the magnetic field (3 earth size holes), heating up of the solar system (the true global warming) and pending overdue ice age...

Ice core samples Lake Vostok Antarctica 415,000 years

If the water levels in the ocean rise when all those glaciers melt, here are your choices of living space...

All in all Nevada is pretty decent terra firma
so I am staying put. One thing about a lot of small quakes, is that it does keep pressure off from building up to a really big one... but if Yellowstone and/or Long Vally do pop their cork, well living space in the US of A will be in short supply

It is certainly commendable to wish to save lives... but to do that one has to go beyond showing what might happen and make a thread on how to prepare for worst case scenario and still live life to its fullest in the meantime.

The situation in Japan has seen me spend over a month on this computer keeping people posted of current updates... yeah lots of stars and kudos... but in the end...

Nothing presented by everyone in the thread is making a difference in the way the morons are handling the situation. Hopefully a few readers will have gotten useful data enough to get out of the are before it really gets bad... but in the end... the thread is already trickling down in viewers... just a few hard core people left and its really only just started to get bad.

So what to do? Spendyears on my hobby trying to educate the world? or go back to my Medieval lifestyle and go out into the sun and actually teach people the skills needed to survive any emergency... and have fun doing it?

Yup easy answer
How many know the basics of survival in a world gone mad? In the early days of the Tsunami aftermath... people were freezing out there, yet wood was everywhere. It was weeks before I saw pictures of someone lighting a fire from all that scrap wood to keep warm... something the homeless in New York know how to do... Shock surely, but if I am freezing with no place to go, I will build a leanto out of scrap and light a fire...

Just my 2 cents worth... gonna go restart my Guild... been couped up in here to long

OH and BTW nothing personal against your methods... I was just watching the reactions of certain people in your threads and can see between the lines

The Hawthorn activity on a spot with no known faults really interests me and others that tend to think the US NAVY is expanding it's underground facilities
But if those 2 do blow... not many places to run to in time

Later Gator.. keep on shaking

edit on 19-4-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Thanks for starting this thread. After reading your post and doing some research I will be keeping a eye on this.
I went to view some earthquake maps in my area, not far from the area in question. There has been quite alot of activity in California as well.
Thanks again.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Well here's an update from the NSL that confirms at least two things:

1) That there was/is a swarm, and
2) That the largest quake in the sequence so far is a 4.6:

Largest earthquake M4.6 confirmed in Hawthorne sequence, 4/16/2011

Significant activity is occurring in an ongoing earthquake swarm southwest of Hawthorne Saturday afternoon.

An uptick in seismic activity is being recorded by the Nevada Seismological Laboratory on Saturday afternoon with the largest earthquakes of the sequence, M4.6 and 4.1, occurring at 5:45 and 5:55 PM PST. These two earthquakes are part of a larger swarm of at least 20 earthquakes over a couple hour time period.

www.seismo.unr.edu...

Perhaps they are leaving it up to the USGS to comment on what may be causing them?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Here is an article that I just found

UNR seismologists monitor swarm of 400 quakes near Hawthorne

With more than 20 earthquakes in several hours Saturday evening, and 400 in the past week, Nevada Seismological Laboratory members have mobilized from the University to the Hawthorne area to step-up monitoring efforts for the region. The highest in the sequence occurred at 5:45 p.m. on Sat., April 16. It was a magnitude 4.6, followed 10 minutes later by a 4.1.

“Although the earthquake rate has waxed and waned through time, the number of recorded events is very high,” Graham Kent, director of the seismological lab at the University of Nevada, Reno said. In total, this sequence has produced nine magnitude 4 or larger earthquakes near Hawthorne, and about 25 earthquakes larger than magnitude 3.0.

A handful of earthquakes were also detected in this area in mid-March, including a magnitude 3.2 on March 15. When compared to the Mogul-Somerset sequence in spring of 2008, rates of magnitude 3 and 4 earthquakes are much higher for the Hawthorne event. For example, throughout 2008 only four magnitude 4 events, including the largest earthquake magnitude 4.7, were registered. A total of 44 magnitude 3.0 or larger earthquakes were seen across all of 2008 in Mogul-Somerset, whereas the Hawthorne swarm has achieved over half this amount in less than one week, and nearly double the number of larger, magnitude 4-plus events.

Here is the link
www.rgj.com...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

It seems that the area near Hawthorn has calmed down a bit,.
Hopefully it stays that way

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by MoorfNZ

That's part of it, but they are now coming in fast and furious. I can be here another ten or fifteen minutes, then I'm off until later this afternoon. GEE users, use network NN, and set to Extremely Short Period (EHZ).

I know it's a little late in the game, but I don't see the NN network... it doesn't even show up in the station select window.

Edit:
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks for helping me out : ) still reading through your GEE thread. Lots of helpful information!
Edit on 2011/4/19 by michaelwpayton because: Didn't want to post a one liner...

edit on 2011/4/19 by michaelwpayton because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelwpayton
I know it's a little late in the game, but I don't see the NN network... it doesn't even show up in the station select window.

edit...station chooser....select Vertical Only and Extremely Short Period.... add network...choose NN....

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The west coast always seems to be busy. But it is interesting to see when hotspots that normally aren't active show up. (Particularly when it's away from all the other quakes, like the fracking in Arkansas.)

And back to the area in Nevada...

Seems to be less over the crater and more to the east. Right under where there's some mining operation going on. There's what looks like two strip mines to the west of the active areas, and I'm guessing there's underground mining too?

On the other side of the mountains (not in the pic), there's also some things that look like bunkers. (I'm not familiar with the area.) Seem too far off to be related though.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

seems to move to monolake... small cluster there now...

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

Those things on the other side of the mountain are indeed bunkers. Hawthorne is home to a major weapons storage and disposal depot. Probably not a wise choice if it ever gets a covering of 500 degree ash.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Gettin' a tad bit interesting in Cali....

2.9 GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA34.07°N -117.27°W 17Km Deep 2011-04-21 03:13:36 UTC2011-04-20 20:13:36 LOCAL

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
There is an update.

They say the earthquakes are non volcanic in nature.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
the new 3.3 in nevada also close to an agient crater.... must be volcanic related....

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

LONG VALLEY OBSERVATORY WEEKLY UPDATE
Friday, April 22, 2011 12:29 PM PDT (Friday, April 22, 2011 19:29 UTC)

LONG VALLEY VOLCANIC CENTER VOLCANO (CAVW #1203-14-)
37°42' N 118°52'12" W, Summit Elevation 7231 ft (2204 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

Nine small earthquakes between magnitude M=1.0 and M=2.9 occurred in the Mammoth Lakes-Long Valley caldera region since the last update on April 15, 2011. All of these events occurred in the Sierra Nevada south of the caldera. The automatic earthquake detection system also located a handful of events in the Mono Lake area, including a magnitude M=2.0 about 13 km (8 miles) north of Lee Vining and a cluster of about ten earthquakes on the east shore of Mono Lake, the largest of which had a magnitude of M=2.4. Elsewhere in the region, just over the border to the northeast between Mono Lake and the town of Hawthorne, Nevada, an energetic swarm of earthquakes that started on Sunday, April 10 continues. Over twenty-five earthquakes have been detected in the magnitude M=3.0 range and nine between magnitude M=4.0 and M=4.6. Mild shaking from the larger of these events may have been felt in Bridgeport, CA. The Nevada swarm is non-volcanic in origin. More information can be found at the University of Nevada Seismological Laboratory website at www.seismo.unr.edu...

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Well, guess that settles it. So the answer to this thread's question is no according to the USGS. Ok, so if not volcanic, then probably a fault rupture? I like the way they state what it isn't but don't state what it IS.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Well, guess that settles it. So the answer to this thread's question is no according to the USGS. Ok, so if not volcanic, then probably a fault rupture? I like the way they state what it isn't but don't state what it IS.

Because they don't know what it is and because they don't know what it is not. So lets make a statement that will not alarm the public and cause mass panic.

Oh but wait... Kro32 should be showing up soon to state what it is and what it is not. Without posting any links, studies, articles, or even his degree, to prove whatever it is or is not, to us all.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by UtahRosebud
..because they don't know what it is not. So lets make a statement that will not alarm the public and cause mass panic.

But wait my friend. They just told us what it is not. So if they know what it is not, then that does narrow down the choices of what it IS. So why don't they say something like "we suspect this is due to a fault rupture on a previously unmapped fault." Or something. ANYTHING.

And you know, it almost makes me suspicious. They will take a guess at what it is not, but then make no commitments about what it is. Not even a similar guess.

Oh but wait... Kro32 should be showing up soon to state what it is and what it is not. Without posting any links, studies, articles, or even his degree, to prove whatever it is or is not, to us all.

Umm yep. Right on. Nailed it. And him. So true.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Reminds me when I watched the movie St. Helens with Art Carney.
Up until the eruption, the USGS was putting out some disinformation of the situation.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Type: Earthquake
55 minutes ago
Magnitude: 2.4
DateTime: Saturday April 23 2011, 00:39:33 UTC
Region: Long Valley area, California
Depth: 1.4 km

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>