It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Long Valley Supervolcano Activating? Swarm Just started

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
reply to post by soficrow

...This area is always quaking, nothing really unusual here.

Ahh. Posted the map for clvf55, as I said but I read 76 today, when it's 76 EQ over the past 6 days. Shoulda noticed that "Geysers" bit. ...Kinda late in the day for me.

edit on 18/4/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kissitgoodbye

Actually a little clarification about the work of Bernard Chouet. He found a relationship between the seismic signatures of volcanoes and impending eruptions. Seismic signatures are what is on the seismograms. Some show breakage of crust from earthquakes, some from other sources and some are harmonic tremor from the flow of magma toward the surface. Earthquakes indirectly "help" a volcano to erupt. The actual eruption is from magma being forced out of the caldera with pressure. The "harmonic tremors" are the seismic signature that Chouet used to determine how close a volcano was to erupting. Very interesting stuff if you want to read more about him and his research.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Don't be such a spoilsport.

Have you done a list of quakes in that spot over the last 20 years? You know to get a 'feel' for the area?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Yeah sorry I wasn't trying to ``bash`` your thread, you're doing a great job! Continue the good work.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Very interesting thread....has anyone checked out this site?

www.lampholderpub.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Have you done a list of quakes in that spot over the last 20 years? You know to get a 'feel' for the area?

Hmm. Are you thinking of the map I posted for clvf55, whom I also credited with drawing my attention to it?

...The "spoilsport" comment was for Vitchilo:

reply to post by Vitchilo

Even if the worst case scenario were to happen, would it really be bad?

I mean... even if a 7.5 were to hit the region... boohoo... wouldn't do much damage.

Even if an eruption were to occur, it would be a ``small one``... boohoo yet again since people would be able to evacuate in time.

So unless there's really a supervolcano ready for an ELE eruption, it's not really that big of a deal.

Hmmm. I have lots of reasons to monitor this stuff, especially:

1. Like to know how things work, and why.

2. Helps me to get in touch with, rekindle ancient ways of knowing - as in, "There's been a disruption in the Force, Luke." ...I cross-check the records (EQ's, magnetic field, etc) and compare what's happening with my own mental and physical states, my animals' behaviors - and it's quite revealing. Makes me feel connected.

You guys are SUCH cute little beasties - marking your territory, driving off the interlopers, protecting your little hierarchies.

lol - I love you all anyway. But I don't even know HOW to do the pack thing, even if I wanted to.

edit on 18/4/11 by soficrow because: fix link

edit on 18/4/11 by soficrow because: add wd

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by penniestoadream

Very interesting prophecy on there:

"...the fracture will occur before the melting, a line in length

from the Ancient; the Western ocean to the Long Valley near the

Western Lake, the two will merge."

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by coloradokat

That's actually the first one that caught my eyes too. The rest of that site has some fantastic info on Earth's volcanoes too. I've only recently taken up monitoring the activities that Mother Nature is throwing at us, but have found the EQ's, especially around volcanoes the most interesting.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
No I don't know that no one can tell. I sorta thought that was the point of these EQ threads was to determine when it might be likely to pop..

Otherwise it is a lot of fear mongering for a speculative hobby. I see many posts from people that are deeply concerned that it will happen soon... so my question was fair game.

Is it fear mongering? Or a case of "Hey guys, there's a swarm happening close enough to LV that just started notably increasing in frequency. So take note. Stay aware. Help me iron out this thing. Watch the seismos. Look out for long period events. Watch the USGS, dig up the heli's, and all the good stuff us "speculative hobbiests" do.

Cause to me, that's pretty much all this was. And still is, until that activity dies down. To some others though I am the devil incarnate, out to scare the crap out of people and make stars and flags.

Well, my answer to that is I don't mind the stars, flags, or scaring the crap out of someone if it potentially can save their life.

I believe that we all have choices in life. And a key one is where to live, in the sense of the broader environment around us. Not enough people take that choice seriously enough, beyond all else for peace of mind and minimal environmental risk to self. People see the deadly effects of that choice nearly every day, and yet persist to live close to subduction zones, volcanoes, tornado-prone alleys, on the ocean, and near things that can kill them. And the inevitable disaster strikes, every time. Live near a major highway? Think. Big truck. Dangerous chemicals. Accident. It's over. That fast.

So at what point do you pull the plug on sympathy? You got a graphic for THAT, PuterMan?
edit on Mon Apr 18th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
2.7 10 mins ago.

Only 4.2km down.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Huh??Dont live near volcano s, subduction zones, tornado alley,oceans,major hwy,well where are we to live then???...Seems there is something everywhere,and places that never had sh*t happen are having it happen now....Yes there are places that are more dangerous than others but it seems there is NO escape from disasters no matter where we go..We risk our life daily driving in cars walking on a busy street...Telling people to move because something could happen does not help any at all.....Most can not just abandon there homes on a hunch or a maybe...I am of the belief any way that when its our time to leave this earth we will, i just dont want to suffer as i go out.lol.....So there ya go!...Had to say this but i will say i enjoy reading most of what you post and respect your research.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Question is, How normal are these small quakes and how frequently do groups of them happen over the years?

Gimme a graph showing them building up to the last Big One down till today so I can really see a pattern then i'd have something to be worried about.

I have heard people say small quakes happen all the time and most people never know.. could these things be the same?

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I believe that we all have choices in life. And a key one is where to live, in the sense of the broader environment around us. Not enough people take that choice seriously enough, beyond all else for peace of mind and minimal environmental risk to self. People see the deadly effects of that choice nearly every day, and yet persist to live close to subduction zones, volcanoes, tornado-prone alleys, on the ocean, and near things that can kill them. And the inevitable disaster strikes, every time. Live near a major highway? Think. Big truck. Dangerous chemicals. Accident. It's over. That fast.

Not everybody has a "choice" of where they live, for their own reasons, none of which needs to be justified.

Those of us who do live in these regions are well aware of the dangers.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by StarLightStarBright2

I have to say there is one exception. FLOOD PLAINS! Why do people still insist on building in mapped flood plains? Why do insurance companies and govn'ts still pay out billions to compensate those whose homes are destroyed there. STOP IT! Make them rebuild on higher ground that's all I ask, nothing more.....

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
While I don't blame people for living in a disaster prone area (what ISN'T disaster prone anyways?), I do blame the majority of people for not being even the slightest bit prepared, knowing FULL well something could very well happen.

I live right next to the San Andreas fault, I don't have any other options to move anytime soon, but I'm taking the precautionary steps to be ready when something does happen.

We can never be 100 percent safe, but we can always be READY.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
A little more new activity starting up...

Magnitude 3.0 - NEVADA 2011 April 19 10:52:50 UTC

------------------------------------------------------

An odd anomaly from the 16th....

-----------------------------------------------------

...and a few pics of the area from the 17th, just a couple miles east of the epicenter.

I sat there for several hours while the dogs ran around (after they went for a swim in Walker Lake), and nothing. You know the old saying... "A watched pot never boils".
In true ATS fashion, I could probably have created a new thread stating that me being there was the whole reason there was no earthquake, and that "they" were watching... front page material right there.

Looking west toward "ground zero".

mmm rock.

Looking east at the densely populated "kill zone". (under the cloud eating pterodactyl)

...and of course the sky, who could forget the sky.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Looks like you had a nice eventless visit

Great pics and look! you even found God

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Love your photos! I am a little disappointed though that God isn't the biggest thing up there in the sky and none of the UFOs are shaped like cigars. Great post.

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
After checking out the link that RESSIV posted a page back for Mount Vesuvius activity, I noted more reference to earthquake/volcano link:

The Naples Prefettura, and the Civil Protection Body are immediately informed of the location and the Magnitude (Md) of any potentially perceptible earthquake. In the Vesuvius area, this means information concerning earthquake with a Md of 2.5 and above, and in the Phlegrean area, with a Md of 2 or higher

So, the Mount Vesuvius Observatory is not only keeping tabs on earthquakes, but even ones as small as 2.5 mag.

link: www.ov.ingv.it...

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

mmmm - looks like volcanic rock to me
Thanks for the photos

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join