It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Long Valley Supervolcano Activating? Swarm Just started

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I read an article yesterday on NASA Science News that touted the beginning of the new solar cycle. They seem pretty excited about it.

Another eruption on March 7th hurled a billion-ton cloud of plasma away from the sun at five million mph (2200 km/s). The rapidly expanding cloud wasn't aimed directly at Earth, but it did deliver a glancing blow to our planet's magnetic field. The off-center impact on March 10th was enough to send Northern Lights spilling over the Canadian border into US states such as Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan.

"That was the fastest coronal mass ejection in almost six years," says Angelos Vourlidas of the Naval Research Lab in Washington DC. "It reminds me of a similar series of events back in Nov. 1997 that kicked off Solar Cycle 23, the solar cycle before this one."

"To me," says Vourlidas, "this marks the beginning of Solar Cycle 24."

Article

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

CME March 10th, 9.0 March 10th

I see...

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thinkingthing

Dr Tony Philips, author of www.spaceweather.com has recently become very much more sensationalist since there was so little activity on which to report. He is couching things in more and more sensational phraseology as time goes on trying to squeeze a little excitement out of a lowly 62 max sunspots to this very weak cycle. I would not be jumping up and down getting excited about this.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
There's a supervolcano in Nevada? What?

Will this lead to an eruption or a big earthquake or both?

And if there's a supervolcano in Nevada... how big it is... and if it goes off... would it effect Yellowstone and increase chances of making it go off too?

Thanks

No there is not. The OP was confusing the Long Valley Caldera, part of Mammoth in California, with a swarm of quakes in Nevada about 35 miles north-east of California. Or the OP just posted it to seem as if the Long Valley Caldera was connected to the quake swarm in Nevada.

The quake swarm location in Nevada - a bit south and west of the town of Hawthorn, has old lava flow fields and lava vents all around it on it's own. It is not named nor is it part of a national park system. So it is not labeled or well known. Seeing as they mined uranium and gold up in there I doubt anyone in charge would want to bring attention to it anyway.

It appears as if this Nevada geothermal area may be awakening on it's own. It doesn't need California for that. Nevada has more geothermal energy than any other state in the Nation.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
PuterMan, I just captured this in GEE few minutes ago, and even shut down a bunch of other stations to provide you with this view.

I am not going to speculate what that is, but it might warrant a listen.

It appears on multiple stations in an approximate 75 mile radius, south of the current activity. Stations are listed at the top of each channel on the left. NN network.

The amplitudes are different at each station, which implies that it might not be noise or faulty equipment. And as you can see, the signal starts and terminates at the same times. And I am talking specifically about the thickness of the inner signal in these, not the spikes.

I thought it was just normal fluctuations in noise until I widened up monitoring and managed to capture it in GEE at 4 stations in a wide area. Of all the things in this sequence I have seen so far, this is the most concerning, and I really wish you'd take a listen. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Thanks Puterman! I will def be looking into your link and researching more myself. I just thought it is an interesting "coincidence" that we have had an active sun AND geology as of late. I am what you would call a "hobbiest" at best. I have been following quake activity for a few years, and have only recently discovered the amazing beauty our sun spits out at us!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I don't know much about this stuff but a micron seems like a very small unit of measurement to me

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
It would depend on how much eruptive material is under there, and just whats actually going on seismicity wise. If its being 'trapped' in the rim of the Caldera and hitting subsurface faults causing it to spread laterally (to find a weak place to surface), or if these quakes are as a result of a chamber destabilising and about to collapse. I'm not familiar as to wether the USGS has actually mapped this area as well as Yellowstone, but don't be too surprised if there busting there asses off looking at soundings right now trying to correlate the data.

I am sure if there was a swarm around the Long Valley Caldera they would be busting ass to study data.

But there is not. Only a few quakes in a commonly shifting area to the south of Long Valley.

On the other hand, it looks as if the old volcanic (unnamed) area in Nevada over by Hawthorn may be becoming geologically active.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatar22

Thanks Puterman! I will def be looking into your link and researching more myself. I just thought it is an interesting "coincidence" that we have had an active sun AND geology as of late. I am what you would call a "hobbiest" at best. I have been following quake activity for a few years, and have only recently discovered the amazing beauty our sun spits out at us!

If you see this thread: Striking Magnetic Anomalies in Japan Seamount Plates

It describes the magnetic anomalies there - and also provides a Map on the next post of Magnetic Anomalies in the US in .pdf format. It's a very nice map and explanation.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Taking a look at it now.

MLN.NN..EHZ.2011.106

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by manticorex5
i don't get it, the earthquakes are in Nevada and Long Valley is in CA, so why are people worried about the volcano activating?? i don't know anything about this so that's why im asking, if the volcano woke up wouldn't the earthquakes be in Cali? not in Nevada?

You do realize that volcanoes, fault lines, rivers, canyons, lakes and many other things controlled by mother nature, do not stop at imaginary state lines, don't you???

Just because something is technically (on a map) located in one state, does not mean it doesn't cross those pretend, human created lines.

Yellowstone for example, actually crosses into 3 states. Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. Maps & Google are your friend and they miss you.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Taking a look at it now.

MLN.NN..EHZ.2011.106

Thanks much man. No need to post audio or anything, your assessment will suffice. I find em, and you kill em. Just what I like. No BS.
edit on Sat Apr 16th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by UtahRosebud

Originally posted by manticorex5
i don't get it, the earthquakes are in Nevada and Long Valley is in CA, so why are people worried about the volcano activating?? i don't know anything about this so that's why im asking, if the volcano woke up wouldn't the earthquakes be in Cali? not in Nevada?

You do realize that volcanoes, fault lines, rivers, canyons, lakes and many other things controlled by mother nature, do not stop at imaginary state lines, don't you???

Just because something is technically (on a map) located in one state, does not mean it doesn't cross those pretend, human created lines.

Yellowstone for example, actually crosses into 3 states. Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. Maps & Google are your friend and they miss you.

This is true. But you also need to be able to spot lava flow areas by sight on the map- as not all of them are 'famous' or named. The old lava flow area just to the south and abutting the Hawthorne swarm is as large as the Obsidian Flow in the Long Valley. It simply is not named. Most of Nevada's volcanic areas are not named, nor do they want people (tourists) visiting because much of it is leased mines.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ok we just had a 2.7 on the northern edge of the lava flow bed to the southwest of the general quake swarm. That will help you locate it on Google earth if you have the quake KML.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

TA I watched GEE all day yesterday (as you asked :-) ) while I was at "work" lol as I have high speed there. I noticed those "thickening" lines a few times during the day. They appeared just prior to a larger quake. I was going to post a screen shot for you but have yet to venture on how to do that from that sight. I know you have an ATS thread on that - would you mind giving me the linky please.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Here's the recent siezmic map for Northern California

Seems several L.V. stations are recording activity anomalous with Hawthorne, while some stations are currently down. Mammoth Deep Holes 1 through 3 show these anomalies as sharp spikes... VERRRRY INTERESTING....

and still, as has been the case since March 11.... CAHTO PEAK IS VIBRATING OFF THE CHARTS!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ada0b26d7db6.gif[/atsimg]

This is the SAME anomaly I asked puterman to review... twice now. Today seems no different, what's really going on at Cahto Peak!?

Edit to add:

Umm... ok, wow - my next question here is Why is the USGS including Cahto Peak within it's siezmogram listing for Long Valley?! It's located within the Cascadia Range,near the California Coast!!

The Cahto Peak unit is 100 miles south of Eureka, California and 10 miles west of Laytonville, California.

I'm really interested why the USGS considers this location relative to Long Valley
edit on 16-4-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: (no reason given)

ARRG... lol, this was from the map of Californian Monitoring zones, not just Long Valley *face slap*
edit on 16-4-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: Content Correction

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Stratus9

The only 2.7 I see is from 6 hours ago

edit: Actually the only one worth mentioning on the scale of size would be the 4.1
edit on 16-4-2011 by Celestica because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

It is not earthquake activity in my opinion, neither is it volcanic. It is a very weird interference that I would describe as tuning a long wave radio if you know what I mean. There are no harmonics evident at all, not one. It is difficult to get at the earthquake activity but it seems minimal but there is so much 'popping' going on that it is difficult to tell.

I listened to POC and MLN so far. The interesting thing is that the shape appears at different times on these 4 seismos. I don't know how these are placed.

All 4 traces start at 13:59:58 or within 1 second so you would expect those anomalies to be in the same place, as they often are at Yellowstone for example.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So what are you suggesting? Its man-made in origin?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Celestica

I have no doubts the spikes are either man made activity or faulty equipment. PuterMan already knew what my concern was, and addressed it. The underlying signal though appearing across four stations at once was worth asking about and checking on. And notice who I asked. And notice who delivered. No master's degree needed.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join