It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Long Valley Supervolcano Activating? Swarm Just started

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
No wonder the folks over at the USGS are concerned. Look how close this swarm comes to both Calderas in the NV region, right on the borderline of the most recently eruptive episode which was geologically active even after Yellowstone.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
There are multiple caldera's in NV? I thought there was just the Yellowstone and then the Long Valley in CA

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

No one has addressed the nature and character of these quakes. Not PuterMan, not what's his face, not NO ONE. Most posts are totally off topic. I mean WTF.

First TA, calm down!

Second what nature and character of these quakes? It is a swarm. It has happened before as I showed with the cumulative graph. There is no unusual GPS activity that I can see. (OK I did not mention that but...) What is it that you wish me to address?

What you said about the nature and character?

• Swarms happening now in Nevada bigtime, and increasing in intensity.
  • That's part of it, but they are now coming in fast and furious.
  • Quakes occurring that fast in swarmlike fashion in this location may be highly indicative of magma on the move.

Points 1 and 2 do not necessarily make point 3.

There is no sign of HT on the charts NV08.IM..SHZ.2011.105

I hear nothing either: IM_NV08_SHZ_20110415-095950_400Hz.mp3 (6MB) That is at 10x speed and is about 4000 seconds from 10:00am yesterday. Today's data is not available in that array - it is a day behind. Which stations are you using?

edit on 16/4/2011 by PuterMan because: to fix quote tags

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by StarLightStarBright2

No the 7.9 in 2002 was the Denali Fault

www.dggs.dnr.state.ak.us...

In alaska, but it affected Long Valley.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Celestica

Many are overlapping, eroded away, and of course the majority are extinct. But as a species we've only ever lived through one Supervolcanic eruption as a whole (albeit undocumented) we don't really know what the trigger mechanism is that creates these calderas to collapse. wether its a sequence of quakes around the perimeter of the rim, or subsurface subsidence that laterally distorts the geometric shape causing it to collapse under its own gravitational weight.

This also of course may be just magmatic movement trying to break through the crust from channelling. Something we saw in Iceland at Eyjafjallajökull where the initial hawaiian-fissure like stage found a new flow creating the
Phreatomagmatic eruption. But in NV with the obvious abscence of water if such a similar event was to occur a plinian-type eruption is the feasible event.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaExray
reply to post by TrueAmerican

www.n2yo.com... same game different venue. I think they are unsing otv2 for site calibrating.

And the purpose of this was?

Are you suggesting that the well known location of the highly secret American spy orbiter with enhanced HAARP mega super scalar weapon capabilities and sonic earthquake disruption weapons had anything to do with this?

Nah, that would be like ****ing on your own doorstep.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Wait, isn't that the same kind of eruption as Mt. St. Helen's? That would be catastrophic

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Heyyo_yoyo

I predicted back when the Chilean 8.8 quake hit that the Long Valley Caldera will soon errupt, from a new caldera location, which would trigger both the san andreas and cascadian fault zones, and ultimately set off yellowstone...

My you are a jolly character!
You missed Japan in your prediction I notice. You should have Toba in there as well, it might feel left out!

One has to say that it is fervently hoped that you are a complete and utter failure as a prophet!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
It would depend on how much eruptive material is under there, and just whats actually going on seismicity wise. If its being 'trapped' in the rim of the Caldera and hitting subsurface faults causing it to spread laterally (to find a weak place to surface), or if these quakes are as a result of a chamber destabilising and about to collapse. I'm not familiar as to wether the USGS has actually mapped this area as well as Yellowstone, but don't be too surprised if there busting there asses off looking at soundings right now trying to correlate the data.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Hello Folks. I'm new, and I find this thread fascinating. My question is, what would be the worst-case scenario if Long Valley blew? Would it be as bad as Yellowstone? Would Southern Calif. continue to exist?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Rubberduck

I'm not really the expert on this kind of thing but from reading other peoples posts I gather that in an absolute worse-case scenario that SoCal would be inhabitable, but I highly doubt that is the case.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
www.seismo.unr.edu...
edit on 16-4-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

Go on NV Broadcast of Earthquake end you by inform of latest ..
Peace ..
edit on 16-4-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Also there's usgs

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Celestica

Also keep in mind that many things appear worse than they are.
we have some very educated people on here, and if there is a REAL concern,
it will be VERY obvious.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ok, I would quote or link a previous link posted in this thread, but alas it has been lost in these 11 pages! lol

I have a question pertaining to the current solar cycle in regards to all of this. A link posted early on in this thread explained that the earth receives more energy from the sun in a day than it can disperse, thus the energy within interior of the earth gradually builds and has to release this energy in larger quantities (i.e. earthquakes and volcanoes).

Could this be the cause of the recent increase in earthquake activity around the world?
We are in the middle of an extremely strong solar cycle and solar maximum is still over a year away. If these two are linked does anyone have any clues to what we could expect in the next year or so???

Not necessarily worried about individual flares etc linked to large quakes or anything, but if the sun is constantly bombarding us and we cannot release the energy in a timely manner just how much is being built up underneath us???

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Krzyzmo

It would do that site some good to keep up to date instead of prognosticating and scaremongering as it usually does.

They should down load the latest faults maps from the USGS. That swarm is right at the end of known faults and between others.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by avatar22

Could this be the cause of the recent increase in earthquake activity around the world?
We are in the middle of an extremely strong solar cycle and solar maximum is still over a year away. If these two are linked does anyone have any clues to what we could expect in the next year or so???

It is an interesting theory - the receipt of energy. Your information about this being an extremely strong solar cycle is way off the mark however. It is one of the weakest for decades. Weakest sunspot cycle for 200 years. It has been downgraded again and the max pushed back again.

We are heading for a Dalton, or even Maunder minimum. Forget all thoughts of a strong solar max.

For a more technical view take a look at the two Landscheidt links on this page

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
You see here what happen on Sun 3 days before earthquake hit Japan ..

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Sun is peaceful at this time end next 2 days, but i think by massive eruption in next days-years..

Needs 2-3 days to hit Earth, so by inform ..
spaceweathermonitor.wordpress.com...

Peace ..

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
You know, the cascades, and St. Helens, and the sun went crazy before the first big Dec.26th quake and tsunami. Then it built up again before the following big quakes in that area over 6 months time. Then there was the activitiy at Yellowstone and New Madrid, and the sun before the Japan quake. Just saying maybe this is nothing but a warning that pressure is building inside the earth due to outside forces like the sun and its going to escape through the weakest point. Is that the weakest point? Or is Japan the weakest point? Or maybe somewhere all together different. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Hope this link to the NSL Helicorder at Buffalo Canyon NV is helpful. It's location is pinned on the image link below:

Here's an explanation of the Helicorder and it looks like its range includes our area of concern:

Explaination: NSL Helicorder

And this is the NSL link to the Helicorder, which refreshes every minute:

NSL Helicorder

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join