It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Long Valley Supervolcano Activating? Swarm Just started

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Swarms happening now in Nevada bigtime, and increasing in intensity. Hang on, posting more...
Just captured this in GEE, that's THREE different stations:

And from a bit ago:

edit on Fri Apr 15th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

And here is a new source some of you may not be familiar with:
www.seismo.unr.edu...

It's the Nevada Seismological Laboratory. Pay attention folks, and keep a close eye on this, cause I have to go, bbl.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

MAP 2.8 2011/04/15 13:48:31 38.380 -118.918 0.0 NEVADA
MAP 3.9 2011/04/15 13:33:55 38.381 -118.739 0.0 NEVADA
MAP 2.8 2011/04/15 13:17:57 38.363 -118.694 0.0 NEVADA

earthquake.usgs.gov...

This them?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

That's part of it, but they are now coming in fast and furious. I can be here another ten or fifteen minutes, then I'm off until later this afternoon. GEE users, use network NN, and set to Extremely Short Period (EHZ).

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I hope not I am going to Vegas for a stag do on the 5th of May, hopefully it will hold off until the 14th when I am back in Sunny Scotland

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
So good to know that True American is on top of this swarm. His threads always pull in those most knowledgable about earthquakes.Thanks also to other posters for their links to earthquake monitoring sites. You don't know how much you are appreciated by those of us who follow your dedicated work. Your coverage of the earthquake swarms in Arkansas outed the dangers of fracking - and positively affected many lives. Star and flag!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Just keep in mind this is not Yellowstone. Quakes occurring that fast in swarmlike fashion in this location may be highly indicative of magma on the move. This has been increasing in frequency slowly over the past days. But i have reserved comment, checked some things, and started monitoring yesterday in GEE.

They have still not let up, and are coming in fast now, back to back microquakes. Get on GEE and see for yourselves.

You guys, dig up the helicorders on this, and watch very carefully. GEE users, stay alert. If ANY of you see a very long, thick, incessant tremor show up, and this can happen suddenly, it may be a harmonic tremor. Someone get PuterMan on this please. Last post till later. Bye.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hey there TA. Great information as always. To quote myself:

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Has there been any kind of determination as to the reason for so many 0 depth quakes in Nevada?

I've been watching those for a bit and there are quite a few at 0 depth, which indicates a surface event if I am correct.

I notice that they are all in close proximity with one a other in a mountainous region. Could it be mining activity of some sort?

Just seems odd to me is all.

I know this is cross posting but I wanted to get this in front of someone who has a lot of credibility as well as experience in this subject.

I had forgotten that there was a supervolcano in this vicinity and now that I have been reminded am a bit more concerned than before.

Thanks for your time in this and all else.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm tempted to drive down to Hawthorne and ride a couple out. I could be there in less than an hour.

Need to let the dogs run around for a bit anyway.

Geologic History of the Mono-Inyo Craters Volcanic Chain
edit on 15-4-2011 by lernmore because: Added Link

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
A depth of 0km usually means the event hasn't yet been reviewed by a seismologist. They have now reviewed the mag 4+ one and it has a depth (12.8km). They will do the others in time.

edit on 15-4-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2011 by MoorfNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Swarm of Quakes has Experts Concerned

Keep a close eye on this one folks - it may be a bumpy ride:

Nevada Swarm has Experts Concerned

Nevada Seismologists are keeping a close eye on an area southwest of Hawthorn where hundreds of earthquakes have been detected since Sunday. " It's a little bit concerning in a sense.. The largest earthquakes in these sequences are pretty large in size." Graham Kent is Director of Nevada Seismological Laboratory at the University of Nevada Reno. He says there have been hundreds of earthquakes southwest of Hawthorn over the past few days. The largest-- recorded at a 4.4 in size.......

Any experts on here have information specifically related to the Long Valley system???
Here's a little of what I found....

And some related info from this Source
edit on 15-4-2011 by tortfeasor1 because: Add source

In May of 1980, a strong earthquake swarm that included four Richter magnitude 6 earthquakes struck the southern margin of Long Valley Caldera associated with a 25-cm, dome-shaped uplift of the caldera floor. These events marked the onset of the latest period of caldera unrest that continues to this day. This ongoing unrest includes recurring earthquake swarms and continued dome-shaped uplift of the central section of the caldera (the resurgent dome) accompanied by changes in thermal springs and gas emissions. After the quake another road was created as an escape route. Its name at first was proposed as the "Mammoth Escape Route" but was changed to the Mammoth Scenic Route after Mammoth area businesses and land owners complained.

In 1982, the United States Geological Survey under the Volcano Hazards Program began an intensive effort to monitor and study geologic unrest in Long Valley Caldera. The goal of this effort is to provide residents and civil authorities in the area reliable information on the nature of the potential hazards posed by this unrest and timely warning of an impending volcanic eruption, should it develop. Most, perhaps all, volcanic eruptions are preceded and accompanied by geophysical and geochemical changes in the volcanic system. Common precursory indicators of volcanic activity include increased seismicity, ground deformation, and variations in the nature and rate of gas emissions.........

edit on 15-4-2011 by tortfeasor1 because: Edit Sources

edit on 15-4-2011 by tortfeasor1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
LA Times has a tiny bit of coverage:

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Posting a bit ignorant here, I know long valley is close ish to yellowstone, so my question is....

Is Long Valley gonna blow ?

or

is this evidential in regards to yellowstone possibly seeing more activity ?

Be gratefull if you could fill me in

edit on 15-4-2011 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Another just now - 2.7

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Long Valley Caldera

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It may be Geothermal Power Plants
edit on 15-4-2011 by Anmarie96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
2.2 a few moments ago.

This clearly warrants close attention.

As scientists in Japan are predicting another huge quake Link , I wonder if this will increase or subside the current nevada activity?

Interesting thread OP.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I noticed this as well, I usually track earthquakes on my phone throughout the day and saw an intense spike in the numbers...

Very interesting.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
According to Live EQ maps there have been 47 quakes in the region today alone!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Keep us undated!
I would like to see what happens.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thanks TA. ...I know something's going on - this might be it.

btw - the seismographs for the Caicos and then Cuba were black for a few days - but no quakes reported. ???

S&F&

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join