It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shortage of ADHD drugs sends parents scrambling

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by starviego

I seriously doubt ADHD, ADD, or Bi-Polar even exist. When I was a kid Dr. Mom solved these 'conditions' with three words: 'go play outside!'

We have progressed a lot in the past 50 or so years (don't know how old you are, so just using 50 years as an example) and as we have progressed in medical knowledge, our ability to diagnose disease has come a very long way.

Saying that you doubt these conditions exist is naive and extremely ignorant of you considering you have no expertise in this field

The parents share the blame, but the 'doctors' who do this to these kids have reserved themselves a special place in hell.

What, for trying to cure disease?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

I'm so full of parents that want to drug their kids. If they can't deal, well maybe they shouldn't have had them. Almost 99.99% of these kids don't need to be drugged, the physicians and parents just jump on the diagnosis without any real critical thinking!!!!

And before anybody says I hve no clue what I'm talking about, the school tried to force me to put my son on the drugs, the pediatrician we had, thankfully was the last good pediatrician left probably on this entire planet an he felt the same way I did, the school was being lazy and plain outright assinine, my child did not need meds he did not have ADHD or ADD, he was a NORMAL BOY! Hey maybe he just hated the teachers I mean they did strap him into a chair 4 of the 6 hours he attended school!! Yeah that'd make ME act out, too!!!!
Stupid ignorant uneducated teachers that's all they're putting out of the colleges these days!

So it's not entirely the parents fault all the time, not totally, I mean it is their fault when they have not gotten to know their children well enough to know if the school is being lazy, so in that the responsibility is 50/50, or if their child really needs the medication, a lot of times parents will just follow what the school tells them to. In my case I am pagan and dead set against anything unnatural created in a lab, including pharmaceutical drugs.
edit on 9-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: edited to clarify

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GriffoWe have progressed a lot in the past 50 or so years (don't know how old you are, so just using 50 years as an example) and as we have progressed in medical knowledge, our ability to diagnose disease has come a very long way.
Saying that you doubt these conditions exist is naive and extremely ignorant of you considering you have no expertise in this field.
I like to think I have some expertise in common sense. How do they treat ADD in the Congo? How do they treat ADHD in Nepal? How do they treat Bi-Polar in Equador? They don't, because those 'diseases' don't exist there. And if they don't exist there, they probably don't exist here. Medical science has been hijacked by the profit motive, and so now they invent the drugs first, and then make up a 'condition' to sell the junk. The sad thing is these drugs have real side effects, and are causing many more social and medical problems than they solve.

Originally posted by Griffo

For crippling the future of children for filthy lucre.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I like to think I have some expertise in common sense. How do they treat ADD in the Congo? How do they treat ADHD in Nepal? How do they treat Bi-Polar in Equador?

I would imagine not very efficiently.

They don't, because those 'diseases' don't exist there.

They don't, because they have inadequate health care. Looking at the The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems, we can see that The Congo is 166th; Nepal is 150th and Ecuador is 111th. Those countries have very poor healthcare systems and would only be able to treat basic conditions, if that

And if they don't exist there, they probably don't exist here.

Argument from ignorance

Medical science has been hijacked by the profit motive, and so now they invent the drugs first, and then make up a 'condition' to sell the junk.

A lot of time, effort and money goes into the research and development of a drug. It takes on average ~15 years for a drug to go from start to finish. Over that time period over 5000 molecules will be tested an retested in a process of elimination costing millions or even billions of pounds (or dollars). At the end of this process typically only one or two drugs will remain. They then go into the final testing stages and if they pass that, the marketing stages. Even if a drug has been found to work and is safe there is no guarantee that it will get through the marketing stages.

The sad thing is these drugs have real side effects, and are causing many more social and medical problems than they solve.

I'm not denying that drugs have side effects, some of them do and they can be very nasty; but adversely, some do not. As we do more and more research and develop new drugs that target specific (metabolic) pathways, the number of side effects will decrease

For crippling the future of children for filthy lucre.

Thanks to modern medicine crippling diseases, such as Polio, are a thing of the past
edit on 10/5/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

When my son was about 6, i went to my doctor for something and had to take him in with me.
My son was very hyper at that age and after a 15 minute appointment, in which he never even spoke to my son, he decided he was ADHD and wrote a ritalin script for him.
My (now) X wife filled it but i kept the bottle while we argued whether to give it to him or not. My argument was that at that age, this drug would influence his development in many ways and we would never know who our son would be because of the influence the pills would have on his mind.
I won and the pills were flushed (shouldve took them myself lol
)
He grew out of his hyperactivity in about 4 years and now, at 17 he is one of the most well behaved, laid back teens you will ever meet.

My dumbass X wife likes to victimize and label herself as well as our kids, it brings her attention.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Saying that you doubt these conditions exist is naive and extremely ignorant of you considering you have no expertise in this field

The parents share the blame, but the 'doctors' who do this to these kids have reserved themselves a special place in hell.

Actually, they are treating symptoms. They are not curing a disease.
edit on 11-5-2011 by mutantgenius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
the problem is the weed shortage
how can you steal drugs off your kids
when your kids don't even have drugs...?

I know a lot of systems leave the parents no choice but to drug the kids
or they swat team mum
(wasn't there a thread about that just the other day)

drug shortages are designed to drive up the price..
get em hooked free
then drive up the price
has been the school yard DEALERS credo
since the VIETNAM *heroin in the streets* bonanza

brings up an interesting thought

what happens when the SHTF?
diabetics, the ssri drugs, heart meds...
thats what one third of the population down in the first couple of weeks
drugs will be worth more then money
carrot and shtick
welcome to fema...

I don't think any culture has ever been so dependant before...
edit on 11-5-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

thats what one third of the population down in the first couple of weeks drugs will be worth more then money

After a while, the effects of the SSRI drugs will fade. People will actually be focused on survival and not getting depressed about not having the latest big screen tv or SUV.
They will sleep better, there will be a sense of caution but the paranoia will disappear, this will bring back the "good ole neighbor" mentality that is virtually non-existent in all of the major cities

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I used Wellbutrin ( an SSRI) briefly to quit smoking
coming down off of it made me very unstable for a time
in addition to the lack of nicotine
and I was on it only for weeks

weening off it is one thing as per the nstructions
cold turkey is not recommended for a reason I found out

I think the one in twenty wigouts forceast by the famous british study
will be a big problem
just be carefull ...especially around full moons

i would recomend LAZER therapy BTW to quite smoking

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by turbokid
looks like the parents are going to have to be actual parents now... darn it.

So what you are saying is that parents who take their kids to the Dr. and put them on medications are not actual parents? I disagree I've spent the better part of the last 14 years being an actual parent to my child who is AD/HD, ODD,OCD, Bi-polar just because we used medications as PART of her therapy does not make me any less of a parent, at least I can accept that my child has mental problems and I can deal with them rather than let her run around like a loose cannon chasing kids down the street with a 2x4 or pulling them off bikes and strangling then on the street, and then cry about how no one likes my kid. I kid you not I know a mother who refuses to believe her child is out of hand and he has harmed innocent little kids and been brought home by the cops many times. She insists he's just a "normal" boy, I guess that's what ACTUAL parenting gets you at the tender age of NINE a criminal record for assault and battery and theft!

Originally posted by starviego
I seriously doubt ADHD, ADD, or Bi-Polar even exist. When I was a kid Dr. Mom solved these 'conditions' with three words: 'go play outside!'

REALLY? OK I tell ya what you come and get my kid and I won't give you any of her meds, in about an hour you can bring her back and let me know what ya think then. If you've never lived with a child that had these problems you have no right to tell others they do not exist.

Originally posted by BanMePlz
These poor excuses for parents need to start paying more attention to their kids, not take them to the doctor for acting like a normal child with energy... So stupid.. They dont want to take care of their kids, nurture them and pay attention to them then they should just not have them. It sickens me to see parents that put their kids on drugs just because they are incompetent.

I spend 24/7 with my kids and I care for them and nurture them and I pay attention to them and they still have problems that require medicines to HELP them focus and pay attention. What sickens me is judgmental people that assume that parents are incompetent when in fact they devote their entire lives to these kids to help them succeed in life.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
It'll be interesting to see what this widespread withdrawal will look like.

Perhaps those manufacturing this widespread withdrawal are thinking the very same thing.

Sri Oracle

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I don't understand what is causing the shortages of such financially lucrative and widely used drugs. And it sounds, from this article, that the drug manufacturers aren't offering any explanation either.

And people really aren't able to plan ahead for something like this. The drug is only doled out in one month increments. So, anyone taking these drugs are pretty much up a creek in the event of a sudden shortage.

However, because the drugs are tightly controlled by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, prescriptions are doled out only a month at a time, and patients have to visit their doctors in order to authorize new drugs, which could be more expensive than the old ones.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

this news is the stuff nightmares are made of. i can't fathom how a pharmaceutical manufacturing company could be this irresponsible with a product they know very well people depend on.

the thought of not being able to get my mental health prescriptions filled scares me. my body has acclimated to daily doses of multiple meds that affect the chemical output and electrical impulses of my noodle. i'm thrown off if i forget my meds, which is not hard to do. my concept of time & days went to pieces years ago, and insomnia frequently takes its toll. i'm an old fart and i can't handle not sleeping for 3-4 days like i could when i was in my 20's or 30's. sooner or later its 'crash and burn' and i will sleep away a day or two easily.

it is terrible to not have your meds. i've had the misfortune to run out because i'm forced by an insurance company to buy from their mailorder source. the bizarre discomforts that result are hard to describe but they remind me of scenes from a sci-fi movie with John Hurt, where he is undergoing some strange metamorphosis. not fun, very scary, alienating, and very painful.

years ago i worked as a QC Inspector at an OTC drug, vitamin & supplement manufacturing plant. they never ran out of the raw materials that were needed for any formulation. that is simply bad business that leads to loss of clients (other businesses whom they would bulk package or private label for). i can't imagine this taking place with prescription pharmaceuticals. perhaps they were very dependent on raw materials coming from Japan manufacturers who are now unable to fill orders. even then, how could they be the only suppliers in the world?
the SOB's that are large and in charge at domestic pharmaceutical manufacturing plants should be made to answer publicly for this. i feel very sorry for those people who will suffer horrible withdrawal affects because they cannot get their Rx. this is a damn shame.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Panic in Prozac Park!

Originally posted by Jubes
.... my child who is AD/HD, ODD, OCD, Bi-polar...

Yeah, but the fact is, forty years ago when I was a kid no one had AD/HD, ODD,OCD, Bi-polar. I suspect parents today have been sold a bill of goods. If your kid gets out of control without her 'stuff,' it's probably because she's been turned into an addict. It's hardly an accident that kids who grow up popping pills have high rates of drug addiction as adults.

Originally posted by Jubes
.... medicines to HELP them focus and pay attention.

Are you listening to yourself? Maybe soon there will be meds to help us put on our clothes in the morning, meds to help us make it to work, meds to help us go to the toilet, etc.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Yeah, but the fact is, forty years ago when I was a kid no one had AD/HD, ODD,OCD, Bi-polar.

50 years ago no one had HIV/AIDS, and now look at how many people are suffering from it. Just because something didn't exist X amount of years ago does not mean it isn't a real condition

Are you listening to yourself? Maybe soon there will be meds to help us put on our clothes in the morning, meds to help us make it to work, meds to help us go to the toilet, etc.

People who suffer from conditions such as ADHD or bipolar disorder have different brain chemistry to us; they lack essential neurotransmitters. The drugs they are prescribed increase the levels of neurotransmitters in their brain to the same levels that we have.
edit on 12/5/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

I said trying to cure disease. People are constantly researching to find cures for diseases so in the future we will have cures instead of treatments.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

People who suffer from conditions....

You sound like an ad for big pharma.

The drugs they are prescribed increase the levels of neurotransmitters in their brain...

And the brain, now under pharmaceutical assault, reacts by decreasing its own production of neurotransmitters, which results in these people going absolutely nuts when cut off from their 'stuff,' as the brain suddenly has no neurotransmitters at all. Trust in God that has made your child the way she is, not in the slick come-ons of the dependency industry.

---------------

THIS is what happens to kids on Prozac/Adderal:

www.wbt.com

WBT Breaking News: Charlotte 7th Grader Holds School Bus Hostage With Loaded Guns
edit on 12-5-2011 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

You sound like an ad for big pharma.

Nope, just stating the facts

And the brain, now under pharmaceutical assault, reacts by decreasing its own production of neurotransmitters, which results in these people going absolutely nuts when cut off from their 'stuff,' as the brain suddenly has no neurotransmitters at all.

People with those sorts of conditions can't produce neurotransmitters in the first place, that's why they have that condition and that's why they are prescribed that medicine.

Trust in God that has made your child the way she is, not in the slick come-ons of the dependency industry.

I don't believe in god. One of the reasons is what you just said. "God made your child the way she is", well if he's so great and loving why would he intentionally create a child knowing that (s)he would suffer from some sort of disease later on it it's life? I'm not just talking about ADHD or bipolar disorder, I'm talking about diseases such as motor neurones disease, multiple sclerosis, myaesthenia gravis, fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva.... the list goes on

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

reply to post by mutantgenius

I said trying to cure disease. People are constantly researching to find cures for diseases so in the future we will have cures instead of treatments.

Meh...that's poor. Doctors do not research cures. Doctors diagnose illness and they treat symptoms, if you have an infection, they might actually cure you, but that is one of the few cases of a "cure". They tend to hand out prescriptions willy-nilly, perpetuating the idea that treatment is trial and error AND ongoing. There are few doctors out there that do not practice medicine in this way.

Scientists research "cures" but under the umbrella of a drug corporation there are no cures. Any independent scientists (or in some cases naturopathic doctors) who find anything promising are quashed immediately in favor of expensive treatments.

My stand on the drugs mentioned in the OP is fairly simple. I would never take them myself, I would never give them to my children and if anyone asked me for advice in regards to putting their children on these drugs, or taking them, themsevles...I would tell them to try every other thing in the world before you start using psychotropics, amphetamines etc.

In my honest opinion I think we're all being taken for a ride (I know I don't have kids with ADD, I have never been depressed, etc) Truly though, some of the posters on here are correct, what did they use for this condition 40 years ago and why does everyone have it now? My daughter has always had 3 or 4 "ADD kids" in her class since kindergarden. Why now, is everyone Deficiet in attention?

If they can create a condition (not an illness or disease) they create a treatment to go along with it. This is the way the world works these days. Does anyone remember 1999? Thats when all these drugs really came to the forefront. They got their big TV debut and now they are beaming their crappy side effects directly into your living room. But hey, if you got allergies, theres no other way to treat it (they never cure) without side effects that might make you feel like your dying, or perhaps systematically damage your organs as you go from one drug to another to treat the side effects of the intial meds. That sneez aint looking so bad 20 years down the road and riddled with complaints. I have seen doctors destroy lives over and over again with regimens of medications that dangerous and expensive.

But, Hey. You want them, you can have them. I am not one to takes ones rights away.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join