It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shortage of ADHD drugs sends parents scrambling

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I did have a disorder, a New World Disorder. I couldn't pay attention to anything that was BS nonsense, like politics, make believe world history, propaganda on TV, and in school I was a C student most of high school because I didn't care about Algebra or Religion or most of my classes. When I was in college and "wanted" to learn, I got straight As. It's about motivation, not medication.

Side affects of Adderall do include a "euphoric sense of self", which I describe as feeling like a million bucks all day long. I wasn't "high" I was euphoric, falsely euphoric by artificial means, but I felt like I just won the lottery pretty much everyday. It cures depression, not hyper activity, because I could paint a house, wash my car, and read War & Peace all at the same time while on Adderalls, that's not curing hyper activity, that's creating it. Very focused and intense. All emotions and senses are hightend by about 200-300% on Adderalls, better than illegal drugs or energy drinks, and no crash.
What happens to your mind is the scariest part, the foreign "thoughts" that come out of nowhere. I can't imagine what it's doing to kids without discernment and wisdom.
edit on 15-4-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
So does this prove that we live in a druged zombie like society. Instead of them saying brains brains brains they say pills pills pillls.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by Flighty

What happens to your mind is the scariest part, the foreign "thoughts" that come out of nowhere. I can't imagine what it's doing to kids without discernment and wisdom.

Especially when the kids are too young to accurately articulate how they are feeling or able to put those feelings into words. It just confuses them more than they already are.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Yes exactly. Adderalls makes a person very intense, silently intense. The thoughts that came into my head out of nowhere were not my own, I know myself pretty well and after being alive for 3 decades, I knew what was going through my head on Adderall was not coming from my conscious or subconscious mind.
Anti depressants are another thing completely IMHO. I have no experience personally taking those, just the stimulants. Adderall also is not good for certain organs in the body, especially the kidneys and prostate. I couldn't hold my bladder after being on them for a while, when I had to pee, I had about 5 seconds to make it to the bathroom before the fire hose let loose. Definitely not good for anyone.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I always wonder why parents want to force medication on their children. Like some how this disability will be cured or go away for awhile since he took the pill. This is ridiculous. Children shouldn't be forced to take medication growing up. I will never do that if I have children in the future.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
For some reason its not letting me link the page but if you google -massachusetts adhd social security check- and go to archives and sort by date this article from the Boston globe on January 17, 2010 comes up on the second page.

Case spotlights disability system - The Boston Globe‎ Boston Globe - Jan 17, 2010 Meanwhile Supplemental Security Income or SSI disability checks sustained ... for each SSI disability recipient in Massachusetts is $700 a month authorities ... 11 she allegedly vomited in Quincy's Social Security office causing the father ... in having Rebecca and the other children diagnosed with bipolar and ADHD ...

I'm guessing this type of abuse of the system is contributing to the shortage.
edit on 15-4-2011 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

It doesn't cure boredom unfortunately.
I have ADHD/ADD myself and was diagnosed later in life.
I left school at 14 and didn't pursue an academic career even though I had the potential to.
Anyone who is seriously afflicted with this, and I do mean SERIOUSLY where it robs you of your life potential and whose parents tried everything to no avail and who have had a lot of improvement enough to function and have a normal existence would totally disagree with you.
Medication has helped those who are seriously afflicted and the proof is out there.
It isn't meant for mild cases or where alternative therapies and interventions could work.

I don't mean to sound nasty to you personally and sorry if I come across like that, but I was on this medication for a 2 year period and it did wonders for me.
I went off it and chose to embrace my limitations and live a drug free life instead.
That wasn't easy as people don't understand or refuse to accept that there is something wrong with you and that you have a disability that prohibits you from learning new skills a certain way. When I let them know I have the disorder and INSIST that I be left alone to sort out my own way of doing it or learning it, most people back off and let me get on with it.

But you do have to be very strong and assertive and it does get tiring and exhausting having to explain yourself all the time. I'm sure those who, like me years ago, have low self esteem and are just tired of the whole thing wouldn't have the ability to tell people to give you space to work it out for yourself.

My point is medicaiton has changed a lot of peoples lives for the better, those who are seriously afflicted anyway.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
good, these kids dont NEED to be on drugs, this has only happened in the last decade or two, when I was a kid, you actually got OUTSIDE and played, burning off all that energy. Today's kids sit in from of the computer, xbox or whatever, which is why they have all this energy and are hyper.
GET YOUR KIDS OFF THE MEDS!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
good, these kids dont NEED to be on drugs, this has only happened in the last decade or two, when I was a kid, you actually got OUTSIDE and played, burning off all that energy. Today's kids sit in from of the computer, xbox or whatever, which is why they have all this energy and are hyper.
GET YOUR KIDS OFF THE MEDS!!!

I agree. It's that and all the crap/chemicals in their food.I don't remember this being an issue when I was in school....now it seems as though every class has at least one child on meds for add/adhd. And also at least one with some kind of food allergy.
The way people parent today is also different than years ago. I think this has a lot to do with it as well. A lot of kids today don't have as many rules like they did before, they are allowed to act up more with less consequences.
edit on 15-4-2011 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I don't take offense, I'm glad you benefited from them. I benefited from them too. I was paralyzed mentally in so many ways, on & off depression, and a life long series of unfortunate events. Adderall gave me the boost to normalcy I needed, but it over clocked my systems a little too much I think.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
reply to post by Skewed

Yes exactly. Adderalls makes a person very intense, silently intense. The thoughts that came into my head out of nowhere were not my own, I know myself pretty well and after being alive for 3 decades, I knew what was going through my head on Adderall was not coming from my conscious or subconscious mind.
Anti depressants are another thing completely IMHO. I have no experience personally taking those, just the stimulants. Adderall also is not good for certain organs in the body, especially the kidneys and prostate. I couldn't hold my bladder after being on them for a while, when I had to pee, I had about 5 seconds to make it to the bathroom before the fire hose let loose. Definitely not good for anyone.

Anti-depressants (I have been on meds since I was in 5th grade) cause you to be blase about EVERYTHING. I literally have no emotions anymore. It rectifies a person to where they can not grow emotionally. The drugs we see are a solution specifically brought forth to avoid questioning of the system in place (school e.c.t).

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

The drugs we see are a solution specifically brought forth to avoid questioning of the system in place (school e.c.t).

[citation needed]
edit on 19/4/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
does adderall make you think faster? im an artist, and stress screws with my creativity, several people including a doctor told me to use adderall, but i do not drink or do any drugs at all. so i was always hesitant.

but if it makes you smarter??? i love to indulge in fantasies that i could take it, finish all my art projects next week that have been plaguing me, and then move on!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
looks like the parents are going to have to be actual parents now... darn it.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

all it takes is a quick google search to see how bad these drugs are,

You see, that is the problem. Doing a quick google search does not make you an expert on the situation. I've been studying this in university for 3 years now and I am still no where near an expert on the situation.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Wow, scary stuff. Thanks for speaking up.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

I think I'm in agreement with you on this compliance thing. It's to keep the kids willing to sit quietly in classrooms and don't question any of it.

But now they are creating an artificial scarcity, just like Peak Oil, so they can raise the prices. Diabolical. First create a need, then create the solution, then create a scarcity, then raise prices.
edit on 8-5-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I seriously doubt ADHD, ADD, or Bi-Polar even exist. When I was a kid Dr. Mom solved these 'conditions' with three words: 'go play outside!'

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
These poor excuses for parents need to start paying more attention to their kids, not take them to the doctor for acting like a normal child with energy... So stupid.. They dont want to take care of their kids, nurture them and pay attention to them then they should just not have them. It sickens me to see parents that put their kids on drugs just because they are incompetent.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The parents share the blame, but the 'doctors' who do this to these kids have reserved themselves a special place in hell.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join