It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shortage of ADHD drugs sends parents scrambling

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Well, it looks like they are medicating people sooo much (especially kids), they are now having shortages. The doctors and big pharma must be laughing all they way to the bank..

MSNBC

Nationwide shortages of popular drugs used to treat ADD and ADHD are sending parents scrambling, with some combing multiple pharmacies for the Adderall and Ritalin that keep their kids calm.

Molly Taylor, 46, of Worcester, Mass., was turned away empty-handed this week when she went to pick up prescriptions of Adderall XR for herself and her 16-year-old son, Luke. “They don’t have them,” an incredulous Taylor told msnbc.com. “You could be waiting several days, which would have a HUGE impact. If you can’t get it that day, it’s very, very difficult.” In the past two weeks, federal Food and Drug Administration officials added the drugs methylphenidate hydrochloride and amphetamine mixed salts, the generic names for Ritalin and Adderall, to an expanding list of national drug shortages. Some distributors cite manufacturing delays and increased demand as the reasons;

edit on 15-4-2011 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

By the way, with numbers like THIS, its no wonder there is a push to diagnose people with ADD symptoms.. its all about the almighty dollar.

Last year, that amounted to 152 million units sold of Adderall and Adderall XR, the extended-release version of the pill, 35 million units of Ritalin and nearly 702 million units of generic ADHD drugs, with sales totaling more than $1.2 billion, according to data from Wolters Kluwer Pharma Solutions.

edit on 15-4-2011 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Aderall is legal meth essentially. I have some friends abuse the heck out of it and stay up for days at a time. Don't do drugs kids, but here, take this...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

Best news I have heard in a long time.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Adderall is more like coc aine in a pill rather than meth. I use to take Adderall for a couple years, that stuff is no joke! I was in my 30s when I was taking it and it kicked my ass pretty hard, I don't know how kids can handle that stuff. It's also VERY addictive, like extremely, and when you combine it with coffee, forget about it, you're off in space with the shakes and cold sweats.

When I "woke up" so to speak, I learned about what TPTB were doing to us through medications, and I looked into Adderall & Ritalin in depth.... didn't take long to scare the sh*t out of myself and I stopped taking them cold turkey. Adderalls seems to induce "thoughts" into your mind, thoughts that are completely foreign to who you are. It's some pretty evil stuff.
edit on 15-4-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I was told that coming suddenly off medication like ADDERALL is dangerous.
You are supposed to slowly decrease the doses over a period of time.
The most dangerous side effect of coming off it straight away is Suicidal feelings.
I hope those people who can't get it are okay.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I hope they run out all together and don't make anymore.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I have to disagree with part of that, I suffered from depression for years and on Adderall, I found it was impossible to be "depressed". I was in a false euphoric state most of the time, especially when it builds up in your system. I felt great most of the time, and really crappy when I didn't have my script filled in time before running out. Best bet is to just stay completely away from the stuff, unless you really are suicidal, then the euphoric bliss feeling will counter the suicidal tendencies.
edit on 15-4-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It'll be interesting to see what this widespread withdrawal will look like.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
i would rather have a bit of what obi-wan is smoking, looks way more enjoyable to me.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
wow this is really interesting! thanks for bringing this up.

i do believe they over prescribe it, and that most people that take these things abuse them!

it should be something that has a very long process for evaluation to see if you actually need it!

just like any drug, so people might actually benefit from it. but I think most children have no need for it.

kids are crazy! they run around & don't want to listen, that is normal.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WildWorld
I hope they run out all together and don't make anymore.

Oh, the Govt cant have that, people may wake up from their medicated stupor and begin to think for themselves.. They would declare that a National Security Risk, wake the President and have an emergency session to fund the makers to build more plants in India... Double, no Quadruple the output NOW!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladymerelda

it should be something that has a very long process for evaluation to see if you actually need it!

You just reminded me of how EASILY I was able to obtain a script for Adderall. I just told my doctor I had ADD/ADHD issues since childhood and I'd like something to help with that. He first gave me Ritalin, which was mild and didn't really do much for me besides zombify my mind and personality, didn't like the stuff. A few months later we decided to try Adderall.

No tests, no blood work, no evaluation.... "Adderall? OK we can try that, here you go. Come back in 3 months and we'll see how it's going."

The funny part is, I don't really have ADD/ADHD, just tendencies of that, but doctors nowadays don't really check into it, or care, they just prescribe whatever you want. Legal drug dealers basically.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
For 90% of the cases, I do not feel that there is even a problem....with the kids at least. I think it basically boils down to the school systems boring the hell out of the kids. I do not blame the kids, I could not sit still either if I was forced to listen to mindless drivel without any sort of challenge.

edit on 15-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
the medical mafia.
find alternate vitamins / minerals.
stay away from socalled meds.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

I was told that coming suddenly off medication like ADDERALL is dangerous.
You are supposed to slowly decrease the doses over a period of time.
The most dangerous side effect of coming off it straight away is Suicidal feelings.
I hope those people who can't get it are okay.

Yes, they cause what is known as withdrawal symptoms. Highly addictive dugs like nicotine or heroin are supposed to be absolute nightmares to get off (well I know how bad nicotine is from first hand experience!)
edit on 15/4/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

thats the problem! its so easy for parents to say " my kid doesn't pay attention" and the doctor just writes out a prescription for it! those parents are lazy!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Well if you suffer from Depression and were prescribed Adderall then no wonder you were as high as a kite.
For those who truly have serious issues with ADHD and ADD, it doesn't have that effect them.
It makes them CALM and able to concentrate. They are all of the place, scattered and unable to focus when NOT MEDICATED.
This is why ADHD/ADD medication is getting such a bad rap. Because people who aren't having huge life issues with the disorder and a lot of the time don't even have ADHD or ADD are popping them like party pills.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I read somewhere, or maybe it was a youtube (so the validity is questionable) that most, if not all of the students that were involved in major school shootings were on some sort of anti-depressant or ADD medication.
I do know for a fact that a friend of my sons killed himself a few years ago, just two weeks after beginning one of the anti-depressants (zoloft, paxil)
The doctors will try and say that well these "tendencies" already existed, which is why they were put on the medications to begin with.
It is possible that they "existed" prior to medication but were never acted upon, until after taking their poison.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Although i do not suffer from the said ailments, I would never even consider taking these POISIONS (YES POISONS) all it takes is a quick google search to see how bad these drugs are, i dont see how anyone can justify giving this to anyone let alone kids, how about we make big pharma eat them everyday, oh wait no they wont cause they'll state 'its not safe' yet they sell these wonder 'pills' by the millions, ignorance is definetly short lived if youre one of these sheep, they get addicted to one of these horrible 'Drugs'.

I would never take anything i was prescribed by a Doctor unless he was a personal friend and i know he had thoroughly researched the side effects of said Drug, And that he would take it himself to alievate the same symptoms. Do your own research, the average modern day Doctor isnt to be trusted. The Pharmacutical racket has actively been implemented for many years now, the more people realise most of these 'wonder drugs' arent actually for our benefit, the better.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
A lot of people can get disability benefits if they have add/adhd, so can the kids. I read an article a few months ago about low income families getting doctors to dx the kids with it just so they could collect money.
I think there may have been a thread on here about it.....I'll try to find it.
edit on 15-4-2011 by WildWorld because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join