It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music that makes the heart dance!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

oh bugger lol your right haha, got too lost in the music there i think haha
not a bad thing though

Im gonna post a little study ive been doing about spiritual music and how it affects the phsycological build up of ancient civilisations

One love brother
x

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Guys dont just post songs, tell us how it affects you in life.

i dont want this thread being moved for being just music.

i want to know the phsycological effect it has on you

Thanks guys and gals
xx

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It's weird, the coincidence of this thread, to me. I woke this morning with this song on my mind, it's still replaying in my head, but I don't mind. I'm certain it's not a commercial jingle earworm. I can't remember exactly the title of this song, but it's from early 1970's, maybe 1970. It's not a rock pop soul or folk. Just a very happy tune. I THINK it was sung by the late Karen Carpenter. (Who sounded normally more melancholoy, otherwise.) She says, "sing sing a song,......" and a choir of children in the background going, "la la la la la...."

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I find this particual piece of music to have healing qualities for me

Theories about the earliest music:

· An attempt to communicate, perhaps concurrent with early speech

· Instrumental Music as well: e.g. cave paintings from South of France

· Evidence: Iconology (studying a subject through pictures) and Artifacts (actual instruments found)

“The Pre-Modern Mind”

· Fundamental difference between “modern world” and what came before: our ideology is (supposedly) based on rationalism; theirs was inherently religious or spiritual.

· Superstition was fundamental from pre-historic times through Middle Ages

The Ancient World: the most relevant precursors to Western art music are in ancient Middle East.

· Mesopotamia or the “Cradle of Civilization:” region between Tigres and Euphrates rivers; now known as Iraq. This area had a succession of cultures influencing it from 4000 BC on

· No treatises on music from the earliest part of this period, but one example of written notation (undecipherable). We also have pictures and specimens of instruments

· Sumerians: first ancient culture in Mesopotamia: 3500-2000 BC.

· Wide variety of instruments: reed pipes, vertical flutes, lyres, harps, kitharas, drums, clappers, sistrum (frame with rattling cross-bars)

· Hornbostel & Sachs classifications of instruments:

· Membranophones (skin vibration)

· Chordophones (string vibration)

· Aerophones (air column vibration)

· Idiophones (whole instrument vibrates: rattles, cymbals etc)

· All of these types are found in Sumerian music

· Words from extant examples suggest responsorial or antiphonal singing. Most ancient singing was probably monophonic (single line of music, unharmonized)

· Other texture descriptions include polyphonic (multiple lines of music sounding together), homophonic (block chords moving in the same rhythm or a melody over a static harmony), and heterophonic (different versions of the same melody sounding together)

· The example with musical notation probably dates from Sumerian(maybe Babylonian) time: a hymn on creation of man with both words and musical notation. No one has deciphered the music, but scholars think that the musical symbols refer to melodic patterns, not individual notes

· Babylonians: Sumerians gave way around 2000 BC; Babylonians ruled Mesopotamia around 2000 to1000 BC. They enlarged array of instruments, refined designs; oboes and lutes found from this time

· Assyrians: Ruled from 1000 to 600 BC, “Renaissance of the Ancient Middle East.”

· There was much more interaction with other areas, especially Egypt

· Evidence of music for secular purposes: festivals and feasts, public performances

· Egypt: Another region of ancient civilization. Earliest civilization was around 3000 BC.

· Instruments seen in paintings and found in tombs

· Art work shows music was for religious purposes, probably arising from rituals:

· Rattles and clappers could be used to drive away evil spirits

· Later more elaborate services included chanting, sometimes instruments (symbols of divine power)

· Old Empire(3000-1580 BC) instruments were soft-sounding (harps, vertical flutes, double reed-pipes)

· New Kingdom(ca.1600-1090 BC) switched to louder instruments like shawms and trumpets. Suggests influence from China where these instruments originated

· In Old Kingdom, music was an elite art; when East Asian instruments became popular, upper classes preserved old styles and instruments

· After c. 1500 BC, musical life became more active and secular songs and dancing music were added to the religious music

· Ancient Jewish Music: Knowledge here is even more limited than Egypt

· No written notation, but they had Chironomy: system of hand movements to indicate melodic contour. Early written notation may be derived from written tracing of hand movements

· Instruments: great variety: one study indicates 145different musical instruments mentioned in the Bible.

· Jewish Service: scholars used to think early Christian services modeled after Jewish ones; now there is controversy on this point. 2 types of service:

· Temple service was mostly sacrifice (twice a day); musical portion was singing of psalms, parts of the Pentateuch (first 5 books of Bible)

· Synagogue was originally for holy readings appropriate to the calendar. Not much music included; later, after Destruction of (second) Temple of Jerusalem (70 AD), some temple practices came into synagogue including singing of psalms

· Ancient Greece (800-c.350BC): of all ancient cultures, we know most about Greece. Both secular and sacred music extremely important to society

· Music was a central part of education because of the Doctrine of Ethos: Music affects character, different kinds of music affect character differently. Different “kinds” of music were defined by modal content, also by instruments used

· Modes: Dorian was manly, strong, ennobling; Phrygian was passionate, headstrong; Lydian effeminate, lascivious; Mixolydian sad, mournful; Hypodorian exciting.

· Secular music: poetry and drama (Aristophanes, Sophocles) often set to music in ancient Greece. Music also used at Games(Pythian every 4 yrs at Delphi in honor of Apollo)

· Primary sources: Plato’s Republic, Aristotle The Politics, and especially Aristoxenus Harmonic Elements (ca.330 BC). Music closely connected with mysticism, metaphysics, astronomy, number symbolism. Music inseparable from numerical concepts: Greeks thought numbers were the key to all existence. Also a few fragments of music are valuable primary sources, such as Seikilos Epitaph inscribed on a tombstone, around 1stcentury AD. Has clear rhythmic notation

· Ethos of music was the result of three factors: rhythm, genus, mode

· Rhythm is easiest: determined by long and short syllables of text. Instrumental music used same rhythmic(metric) patterns as poetry.

· Genus: basic unit of pitch was tetrachord. Pythagoras mathematically determined size of diatonic intervals around 500 BC. A tetrachord’s outer pitches were a 4th apart, inner two notes moveable. Configurations of 4 notes were the different genera. Combining tetrachords results in a 2-octave scale; Greeks called it the GreaterPerfect System (GPS). With GPS, you could create melodies that would stay in a key or tonos; Lesser Perfect System was created to enable modulation from one tonos to another.

· Mode: a more abstract concept: an octave segment of GPS with a characteristic pattern of tones and semitones (like a scale); but the concept also includes characteristic melodic formulas, rhythmic and poetic forms. Combination of all of these characteristics gives a mode its “ethic” quality.

"Sound therapy" may seem like just the latest New Age fad, but in fact it dates back thousands of years. "The use of sound and music is the most ancient healing modality," says Jonathan Goldman, founder and director of the Sound Healers Association from Colorado, and author of Healing Sounds (1996).

"It was practised in the ancient mystery schools of Egypt, Tibet, India, Athens and Rome for tens of thousands of years. Much of this information disappeared in the West, but it's been re-emerging in the last 10 or 15 years."

Even if you didn't know that a thousand years ago the Chinese believed music could do everything from transform people's characters to restore the fertility of the soil, you do know that sound is a powerful force. Most of us, at one time or another, practise our own version of music therapy.

We instinctually make — or seek out - sound to express our emotions. A mother naturally sings to soothe her baby. When we're depressed, we play or make our favourite music, either to lift us out of our gloom or to intensify it; when happy, we play joyous music to enhance the mood.

We're in good company. In The Iliad, Apollo, the mythical god of Pythagoras trained music and medicine, halted a plague students to release because he was so pleased with the sacred hymns sung by Greek youths.

Pythagoras, who discovered that all music could be expressed in numbers and mathematical formulae, founded a school that, among other things, trained students to release worry, fear, anger and sorrow through singing and playing musical instruments.

Music is a fundamental component of all major religions, from Christian hymns to Jewish cantorial melodies to the muezzin calling Muslims to prayer. Buddhists recite mantras and prayers and chant to win merit in this life and those to come. Millions of people around the world chant the Sanskrit mantra Aum' daily to purify mind and body and become one with all creation.

Sufis (the esoteric branch of Islam) hold that higher states of consciousness can be attained by concentrating on the reverberations of bells and the harmonic echoes of choirs. And Judaism's mystical Kabbala teaches that chanting certain vowel sounds connects one with the energies of the Divine.

Don Campbell may be one of the leading American pioneers in his field, but the man he calls the Einstein of sound is Alfred Tomatis, MD, a Frenchman who's devoted his life to the study of the human ear and the effects of musical sound on the brain. It was Tomatis who first established that foetuses can hear sound.

Back in the 1960s, the Paris-based physician was called in to investigate a strange malaise that had overtaken a monastery of Benedictine monks in the south of France. Out of the blue, the brothers had become listless, tired and depressed. Once other medical authorities had ruled out physical causes, Tomatis began to search for changes in their diet or work conditions but discovered none.

After a lengthy discussion with the monks, however, Tomatis learned that before they took ill, the monks used to gather eight or nine times a day and chant for 10 to 20 minutes. But thanks to the reforms of Vatican II, their daily chanting had been reduced by several hours a day.

It dawned on Tomatis that the physiological benefits of their chanting -slowing down their breathing, lowering their blood pressure and elevating their mood and productivity - were at the heart of the monk's lethargy.

His solution: restoring their full sonic regimen of Gregorian chants. The effects were dramatic. Within six months, the monks were back to their old vigorous and healthy selves.

According to Tomatis, all cranial nerves lead to the ear, which explains why soothing musical harmonics not only induce states of deep relaxation, but directly affect breathing, the voice, the heart rate and digestion.

In fact, Tomatis' research has led him to theorise that sacred chants from various religious traditions "charge" the cortex of the brain, which sheds light on the transformative power of certain musical and vocal sounds.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Free4Ever2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Sing, sing a song,
sing out loud...(then something about)...to last your whole life long..... and yes you're right The Carpenters!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Free4Ever2
Guys dont just post songs, tell us how it affects you in life.

i dont want this thread being moved for being just music.

i want to know the phsycological effect it has on you

Thanks guys and gals
xx

I only saw this post of yours, after I posted my song that was on my brain today. That song takes me instantly back to that time period I stated. For some reason, I keep getting this image of me wearing a light white sweater, and it is Springtime. The air is clean and deliscious smelling, (there are no constantly present chemtrails which I see now, and make me cough, which exacerbates my terrible hystamine allergies.) The clouds are high, puffy and white. I can smell nearby growing Lilacs. I am on my way to or from gradeschool. Or I am going to the store with my dad or playing outside with my brothers and our StingRay bicycles and BatMan batwing dogfight kites.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
well guys i gotta go for now, gotta get ready for work then a wee party with some colleauges
keep the posts coming as i cant wait to read them all when i get back tommorow

Keep the beat going and love life
peace xx

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I personally find any of Bob Marley songs to make my 'heart dance' so to speak.

Bob Marley: Get up Stand up
edit on 15-4-2011 by anon102 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Crank these as LOUD as Possible!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Being a drummer myself, my musical hero has always been Led Zeppelin's John Bonham. He is, IMO, the single best drummer that the music world has seen to this point. And nothing by Led Zeppelin gets me more upbeat than this song:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

I disagree in terms of greatest drummer. Dave grohl is probably the best drummer ive ever heard but Led zepelin are legends and that song is fantastic.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal
reply to post by IamAbeliever

I disagree in terms of greatest drummer. Dave grohl is probably the best drummer ive ever heard but Led zepelin are legends and that song is fantastic.

Oh, he is my second favorite. Definitely one of the best. I love the Foo Fighters. Was just listening to there remake of Band On The Run. Good stuff.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Sorry , i don't know how to embed a video or create a clickable link yet but try this one out . I think you'll like it .

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bandito

Very cool. Reminds me of Apocalyptica. If you've never listened to their stuff, check it out.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Album IRVI
Artist Denez Prigent
Track Title Gortoz a ran

Celtic song of hope my favorite you will like

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Jaydee - Plastic Dreams original video
www.youtube.com...

Timo Maas Feat Kelis - Help Me
www.dailymotion.com...

LIPDUB - Little Green Bag (POPstudio Beeld en Geluid, 2010)
www.youtube.com...

Roni Size / Reprazent - Brown Paper Bag
www.youtube.com...

Tom Tom Club Wordy Rappinghood (Vinyl Rip)
www.youtube.com...

basement jaxx - get me off (peaches remix)
www.youtube.com...

Massive Attack feat. Mos Def - I Against I
www.youtube.com...

Underworld - Push Upstairs
www.youtube.com...

Isaac Hayes - Walk On By
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

I find this to be truely moving. Its better known from the apprentice or as Sunderland AFC'S theme tune.

Its sergey prokofievs "Dance of the knights"

edit on 15/4/11 by KrypticCriminal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Christopher Tin's wonderful composition "Baba Yetu." The entire song is sung in Swahili, lyrics actually being The Lord's Prayer in Swahili. This is the first song from a video game that won a Grammy.
Wiki.

Peace.

reply to post by AOA2012

I really like TSFH as well.

edit on 15/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I love this thread !

I just had to share my all time favorite. . .

Andres Segovia - Asturias

Listen to this masterpiece

And if anyone could please help me to put a youtube link
I'm not sure I can with my phone

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
I love this thread !

I just had to share my all time favorite. . .

Andres Segovia - Asturias

Listen to this masterpiece

And if anyone could please help me to put a youtube link
I'm not sure I can with my phone

Here ya go.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join