It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it not possible to live without money?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I am not an economist. I pose this question to all. I believe a barter and trade economy would be more balanced for all. PLease share your thoughts. Namaste.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by sunqueen30

Google Video Link

i believe some kind of money system is needed but definatly not the one we have.

arguments over value ensue over barter and trade e.g 8 hours digging in trade for 6 eggs wont cut it
edit on 15-4-2011 by wedidgothacked because: spelling

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
If you live in an apartement, not really. So we'd have to re-distribute the land. Mmmm, civil war anyone?? But I do agree with you of course we could live without money. In my mind that's the future of real evolution

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

really Money is an agreement between people to give value to some numbers . Money is a way of storing work and propriety (sure if government does not steal it by creating billions over the night). So, if you want to replace the "storage" of work and propriety , you need to come up with something else.

Barter is great, however it has its limitations - what if you want something I have, yet you do not have what I need. Let say, our neighbour has the thing I want to have, yet I have nothing I could give to her/him. Money makes it easy for me to give to you what you want, i store the value of my product into money then I go to my neighbour and buy what i wanted from him. I guess a way of storage for value is necessary, however it should be something governments cannot manipulate or create from nothing. Ideally , money should expire after a certain time and be created by existing real contribution to the society.Then, how would we ensure the skilled people will not end up having all the money after a certain time!
- i guess by putting a certain expire date on the money.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

OP have you ever seen the movie Zeitgeist: Addendum? The author and director of the film imposes a society that is efficient, and everyone would live in harmony, worth a watch imo.

Zeitgeist: Addendum

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
You end up with all the same problems and a pig is hard to put into your wallet.
There is one good result though. Currently with inflation etc your money is worth less the longer you hold on to it. The barter system would be similar to when there was a gold standard in the monetary system. You used to be able to exchange your dollar notes for the same amount of gold at banks until last nit long ago. Thus ment your money had an inherent value and helped it keep its value. Gold now costs over $1000 an ounce i remember when it was cheaper than pot. So if you bartered with gold coin savings (30yrs worth) your coins would be worth approx 4x as much as your cash 30 years of cash saving are worth now

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by wedidgothacked

Certainly 8 hours of digging for half a dozon eggs is not a good trade-off for anyone, not even the chicken!
But perhaps 8 hrs of digging in return for fixing a broken generator is...

Point is, everyone usually has something to barter with, the trick is matching up the right people with the right needs/services/skills!

Peace
edit on 15-4-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

i agree . even a system in place where we all get the same standard wage regardless of job. oh free housing and power lol

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The truth as I see it -

Everyone could live free, and survive, but it is greed that has ruined our lives.

Because a lot of people have grabbed the upper hand.

What a weird planet we live on - we don't even care about our race, or the survival of the planet.

I care about our race, and the survival of the planet, but I am so disillusioned about humans.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

i embedded this at top dude

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

ah didnt see that.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama

ah didnt see that.

its cool everyone deserves to see it

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
There are barter networks nearly everywhere now, if you look for them.
It is a good exercise to participate in one near you before TSHTF, so you have an idea how they work.
Even if you only try it once. It is kind of like Craigslist, with a twist.

Peace

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The problem is humans are greedy by nature so it doesn't matter what system we have , there will always be someone who wants more then their share and wont have a problem with having someone else doing all of the work and giving out little in return, be it pigs, eggs or money.

Until we as a whole are able to change, I just don't see barter/trade making much of a difference.

Need to get rid of the mindset of I am more important then someone else because I have more wealth (pig/eggs/money) then someone else.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Reevster because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
It is possible, but many people would have to die and there wouldn't be as much technological progress or leisure time. Money makes it simple for each person to specialize in different occupations.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

You are so right, Reevster,

Because there are greedy people.

Oh, yes, before I forget, there are warmongers and murderers.

So why did I think it would ever work? Duh!

So, let's carry on and ruin the planet - thank you, warmongers and nuclear power people.

By the way, what do you think you will win, warmongers?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
All this sounds like too much hard work.. digging for eggs and stuff..

I'm just going to invade Australia and subjugate the people, allowing them to work as my slaves.

King of Australia... I like that idea.

Who wants to be one of my knights??? C'mon - loads of hot peasant women to pick from, and we can bbq kangaroos and wombats...

8]

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

And your ar-e bit by a spider Mi'Lord.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Barter is good but how do we barter for high priced items like cars and houses? Is fifty chickens for a car good enough?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

i'm up for that, can i change my name? to dundee

seriously tho greed makes barter hard, we are always gonna be doomed by the so called elite, unless we are the elite then it wont matter to us
edit on 15-4-2011 by wedidgothacked because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join