It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Continuing saga of unfinished Ukranian Rocket cruiser.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Seems that the talking has again resumed recently,with this being discussed at the meetings during Putins recent 2 day visit to Kiev.
It would seem,that this is one of several carrots dangled by Moscow,as it accelerates its proposals with a series of controversial offers.
Here is a rundown of events from the last 12 months.

In May 2010,at a meeting between Medvedev and Yanukovych,Russia agreed to complete work on the Ukrainia with an estimsted cost of $30 million.

www.en.rian.ru...

A month later,Russia indicated that they were deciding whether to buy the unfinished cruiser and complete it.
Russia maintained that the vessel was only 50% finished,and would require a spend of 15billion Roubles to complete,and a further 35 billion to upgrade.

rusnavy.com...

In January 2011,Russia reportedly said they had no intention of purchasing the unfinished project,and said in any event the vessel could not be used in the Russian navy whilst bearing its current name-“ Ukrania”
Ukraine announced that the vessel was costing the government $1,00,0000 per year to keep it.

2jjj.com...

Following a recent meeting with Putin,deputy pm Azorov,has concluded that Ukraine wants to see the vessel completed-and goes on to say it is 95% finished

www.kyivpost.com...

There are other reports that Russia are only interested in any deal if the ship is given free.

More here-including a photo.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I don't get it, whats special about this ship?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by martin3030

So the Russiana want a twenty year old ship (for free?).
The hull below the waterline would be pretty rotten by now.
Just ask the RAN (Royal Australian Navy) about the pitfalls of buying cheap second hand ships from the US Navy.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sailor Sam
reply to post by martin3030

So the Russiana want a twenty year old ship (for free?).
The hull below the waterline would be pretty rotten by now.
Just ask the RAN (Royal Australian Navy) about the pitfalls of buying cheap second hand ships from the US Navy.

Hey! It is "Buyer beware!"
And if you're poor, you go to the second-hand store.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The ship is 30 years old it's obsolete and hasnt even been finished yet lol. If I was russia id walk away from it too.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
in other breaking news....

russia didnt buy my old RIB, and also passed up the opportunity to purchase my dad's little fishing boat

that thing looks closer to being a reef than an addition to any serious modern navy

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
A Slava class cruiser is a Slava class cruiser and but for a handful of navy's it would easily be their primary surface combatant. For those of you who can not understand why this may merit a threat in the weapons forum i suggest you go look at the weapons it does/or may be upgraded to deploy before you continued to wonder why this is a topic for debate between two countries. The reason the Russians want it for free is probably because of all the gas the Ukrainian government keeps stealing and in the end i am sure the Russians will accept the ship as a write down for the some of the stolen natural gas.

As for the '20 years old' it all depends on how well it has been maintained; the first Kirov class ship was laid down back 73' and commissioned in 1980 and all four of the Kirov's they built are still in use with one being operational and the other three in overhaul for redeployment later in this decade. Since the Slava's are are in the same asset class i see no reason why this ship isn't worth getting back( in the next few years) or refurbishing to whatever extent may be required.

Stellar

top topics

join