It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else experiencing emergency siren tests out of date in there city/town?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I know that New York has been having emergency broadcast system tests a lot from the recent thread on it. I live here in Duluth MN, and have been seeing the the emergency broadcast system test almost nightly on certain channels, more than I've seen in the past. Then, earlier today we had the city's emergency siren, tornado siren, and civil defense siren being tested, once at around 1430 hours, and again at 1830 hours. Usually these sirens are tested once a month, and that is on the first Wed. of every month. Just about freaked when I heard the civil defense siren, and wasn't sure what to make of it at first. This is my first post, and it's just a question for responses, so don't fry me too bad please. Mods, I made this thread in the category that the NYC emergency broadcast thread was on so move it if you feel the need.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

The siren sounded in like all of central minnesota's towns. It freaked me out as well. Certainly curious about this.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Here in Atlanta too. My first thought,,,,"that kinda sounds like those sirens from when i was a kid".My second thought,,,"nah, cant be". But its happened two nights in a row.So glad you posted this. I thought i was trippin

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Maybe this?

kkcb.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Yes.

We've had a whistle blow at noon since as long as I can remember. I've lived in OK for 24 years now and have heard it everyday. Lately I have not only heard the noon whistle, but there's been one in the evening as well, in a nearby city. I heard it on tuesday, and again today. Very strange indeed. I wonder if anyone thought anything of it...nobody freaks out at the noon whistle, because it's expected, but I wonder what the collective thought is when it's going off on an unscheduled time

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

I haven't heard anything here. I'm in a small Virginia town. Haven't heard these sirens for many years.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

yes just experienced the first one in my entire life about a month go around noon in oakland CA.

-

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

yes just experienced the first one in my entire life about a month go around noon in oakland CA.

-

Yep, I heard the same one you did. Might have been a little less than a month ago. I do think I might have heard it once before, though.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the post notsofunnyguy, didn't even hear about this, but I wonder why now? Why is this the first time this has happened. I've lived here all my life, and have never heard the test sirens go off on a day other than the first wed. of the month. Anyhow, it scared the crap outta me when I first heard it. Almost grabbed the BOB.
glad that case is solved, but still the question remains why are all these states doing this at around the same time. My gut tells me we are being prepared for something big.Well, peace, love, and safety to all my fellow MN's out there, and stay in touch.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Yep, in Chicago, too.

I don't know if anyone of you know, I didn't, but when the Emergency Broadcast System is going on TV, you cannot change the channel. I didn't know this until within the last year or 2. Imagine the possibilities they have by not letting you change the channel!

I read a couple years ago that soon it'll be law that they'll be able to turn your TV on during the monthly EBS tests if your TV is off.

Now I wonder if you can lower the volume during the EBS. Never tried it.

By the way, the sirens always go off at 10:04am in our area and always have for at least the last 30 years. It's also always the first Tuesday of each month that the sirens go off as well as the EBS. But it does seem the EBS happens more frequently than the 1st Tuesday at 10am. In fact, this month, they did one at 10am, and again at 10:20am. which is happening more frequently, too.

I don't know why they keep this system --it's useless. During 911 it didn't even go off. I really think it serves a different purpose than giving us instructions during an emergency as we've had several in my lifetime and I've NEVER seen the system enacted.
edit on 4/15/2011 by OneNationUnder because: Material added.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
well thank you for your post. i feel better. i wondered why the sirens went off in minnesota and usually we have tests every 1st wed of the month. They have been going off alot and everyone curious of why and what is going on. I did not hear of weather awareness week. I heard the sirens all the time and i started to get worried whats going on. now i know.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I'm on the IL/WI border and heard them go off the other day for no apparent reason.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by consigliere

NO SIRENS SOUNDED HERE
I live in NW Florida and I'm not sure if there is or isn't one of any kind, siren.
Perhaps so and they just don't test them.
I don't live in the city so if I heard one I'd think that perhaps there was a chemical plant or
oil fire going on..something like that..tornadoes have come thru this area once in a while but there
were no sirens blaring to my knowledge.
Grandma here might freak if I heard a civil defence siren. The "kids" might go..what is going on?
I might roll my eyes and think "Duh", "Told ya..". It's not that they don't think stuff could not happen
but it's like I'm the one who truly expects it to someday. ( right or wrong thinking I don't know )
I'd just go inside and say "This is it !!", "What I took for granted we kids might here while we were in school
is actually happening."
If I start hearing stuff like that, I'll let you know if I can."

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Also here in NY , A couple/few times lately.

The other day it was super loud, and lasted for a good minute.
Ive heard it a couple other times recently at odd times as well.
Within the last couple/few weeks.

The most recent was just a day or two ago though.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Someone should start a list so we can can track which states as people chime in. also flag it so it doesnt get lost. ( i would make the list,,,but i kinda suck

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Pacific Northwest here, had news broadcast that was testing a Tsunami warning system, this test was for the communication speed during/after tsunami or something.

very strange indeed, seems like everyone is preparing, because I feel/believe that things are going to be getting rough

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Ive got a map of the us on my wall and I am marking it with push pins on states that are reporting emergency warning systems test

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Since most everyone in here said yes, can I ask you what the reactions were of the people around you (if you saw)? I was driving and I remember having a very surprised look (I actually jumped when it started) and I know other drivers could see me (convertible with the top down) but I noticed it seemed like absolutely nobody was surprised...what did people in YOUR area do??

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jstanthrno1
I'm on the IL/WI border and heard them go off the other day for no apparent reason.

Yea Janesville WI too no reason, normally they test on 1st Wednesdays at noon every month, and they did, but but also went of on 4-14-11(thurs) at about 12:30P no reason givin, no mention in paper etc... Very scary.....
edit on 15-4-2011 by hope4better because: add state

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Nothing different here in Kansas City area.

top topics

join