It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inside info on comet Elenin (yes, you're being lied to)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
All our yearly meteor storms are generated by passing through the old debris trails of other heavenly bodies, including periodic comets:

Meteor Shower
A meteor shower is the result of an interaction between a planet, such as Earth, and streams of debris from a comet.

Where we run into a problem with getting close to a freshly passed comet is that it increases the odds of us suddenly bumping into a recently left larger chunk of debris with little notice.

As burdman and others have already mentioned, the danger to the ISS is due to its lack of atmospheric protection from even smaller debris. Most of that would simply burn up in our atmosphere and create a spectacular meteor shower, but to the ISS it would be the equivalent of hitting it with a high-powered sandblaster.

BTW, those calculating the distance in AU’s need to remember that those distances are measured from the center of each body. So that is the distance from the core of the comet to the core of the earth. To find the actual passing distance you also need to subtract the distance to each objects surface and the distance from the surface to the edge of its atmosphere.

edit on 4/15/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by operation mindcrime

yes, i assume it is. what i said in the op is what my source told me. thats all. i'm not an expert on any of this. i'm presenting you with what i know.

"YOU know about the comet elenin?!?, nasa is worried it will hit the space station"

Riddle me this....if the comet is going to be so close that it might hit the ISS, wouldn't your "source" have said they are worried it will hit earth? I mean, forget the ISS...if it gets close enough to be a risk to a space station, the earths gravitational pull will draw it into the atmosphere, correct? So why the F would they care about the ISS?!

You're right, they wouldn't care about the ISS but if they are using the ISS as a code and they really mean earth ???
All those in the know would know that it's really earth they are talking about., the Space Station would be moved well in advance.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Well there is something going on right now - Is anyone here from NZ because on this evenings News, it was reported that 50 planes all Air New Zealand all lost communication - apparently Ground Controls Back Up System got them back on.

Surely this is very concerning.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

yea kiwi here,

just read bout this on stuff.co.nz....

only affected upper north island but still, concerning yes.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Heres a good animation I found showing how close we get to the comet www.curtrenz.com...

My concern is more with what do we hit in the path of the comet

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Several amateurs and professional astronomers are following the Elenin Comet people, get real ! it will pass far enough to be more than safe ! Do you think by any chance that if it had the probability of hitiing they would and could keep under wraps? continue feeding this non-sence and people have to be ready to take responsability for suicides ! it happen before!

See dailycosmicnews.blogspot.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

maybe they faced the same problem that Arizona faced last week were the ATC was asleep. lol

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dailycosmic

Yes let us all put on our jumpsuits, and nikes, and drink the funky smelling kool-aid as to reach the ufo behind Elenin!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Nonchalant

This topic seems to contain posts that refer to all the information I've read before, in that whatever it is, it's big, and it won't hit us, but the 'flyby' will affect earth's poles and cause a big time rucka here on earth... and that will be where the earth ceases to be as it is today.

So, somewhere in all this rhetoric and prose there must an element of truth. I mean if you hear enough different snippets of information, and filter them with common sense and objectivity, sometimes you can piece together the picture so it rings true.

I only know what I piece together, as I have no insider to feed me, but it seems something large is approaching somewhere, and it has something to do with 2012, and everything else that's kicking off on this planet... Human uprisings, disharmony, CME's, earthquakes, floods etc., etc.

At least we haven't got long to wait to find out if any of this is true!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Dont have time to read all posts yet but I will as this is VERY interesting if true.
With that being said,.
Ahh,. the space station is maneuverable and the comet is at a steady speed,.
so why not just ..... move the ISS?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Found some info on this subject here some good graphs ect

forum.davidicke.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Not sure if anyone else has posted this as haven't had time to read through all the posts but information about 'ELECIN' has been removed from internt searches but information on the the comet 'c2010x1' has not

However.......NASA has removed the NEO info and the trajectory of said comet from their database. (currently awaiting reply from NASA concerning why they have done this) I know it was there before as I saved the info to my harddrive and also printed it all out.....don't know why...now I do.

Thing is, there could be a good reason to remove the information about it, They may have destroyed it, it may have destroyed itself through a collision with something else. Who knows.......

I'm not shouting doom and gloom, just wondering why information is being removed that I know was there. especially about something this big and possibly catastrophic.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DInglis

That is info is from January of this year.
Much, MUCH more has been learned about Elenin since then...
So much in fact that this info is no longer of much use.
Keep digging though!

edit on 15-4-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Therealkaf

This information?

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Then there's this information:

www.aerith.net...

Pictures:

www.aerith.net...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Not sure if this has been brought up but I see people linking to this all the time:

JPL Small-Body Database

And people seem to ignore this:

Note: Make sure you have Java enabled on your browser to see the applet. This applet is provided as a 3D orbit visualization tool. The applet was implemented using 2-body methods, and hence should not be used for determining accurate long-term trajectories (over several years or decades) or planetary encounter circumstances. For accurate long-term ephemerides, please instead use our Horizons system.

Now I did pop over to the Horizons system and have no idea how to read the text it generated.

I also have to put my eggs in the "if it's hitting the ISS it's hitting earth" basket. If the comet is coming close enough to hit the ISS, which from the trajectory so far doesn't seem that likely, the gravitational effect of the mass of the earth should pull that comet right into us, at the very least smashing through our atmosphere then continuing on.

The debris field, which would be hard to calculate until it's quite close, seems like a more logical threat to the ISS IMO. And debris we might encounter, as another poster mentioned, would pose a threat to the unprotected ISS, but that material would bounce off, or burn up, in our atmosphere. They can indeed move the ISS. Could it be possible to essentially park the ISS on the other side of the planet as to use the earth as a shield when we pass through the debris field? I admit I did not follow the links or read the information on how the ISS is maneuverable, but that would appear to be the only option to protect it.

There seems to be a massive disinfo campaign concerning this comet

I agree. I doubt you will agree as to which side I believe is providing the disinfo though.

edit on 15-4-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

without evidence of your claim, you become yet another speculator.

do you know what a speculator is?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
It also explains the media silence. Most comets recieve large, global news coverage. "Haley's comet" is a household name, why not Elenin?

Really? Most comets?
That's not true at all, only few comets ever make the headlines and that's generally only because they can be seen with the naked eye, something which at this point Elenin doesn't seem like it's going to do.
How many comets on this list made headline news?
Probably only 3 or 4 of them.

www.minorplanetcenter.net...

And there is no media silence, there are plenty of astro magazines and sites that are giving updates.

And yes you are correct, there are huge amounts of disinfo being spread via youtube, not really a solid place for any factual information.

If infact you do have a source in nasa, I think he is messing with you. When scientists get fed up with nonsense they start playing games. He probably just won $10 by you posting this.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

...To verify that the 3600 year orbit is accurate...

Started shivering when I read yout post, can't seem to stop.

3600 years; this fits EXACTLY into the window that we should be expecting a major series of disasters. As for censoring data...I had used Wiki to track this cycle back through to 10 000 BC aout a year ago. Plain as day, there it was (the cycle).

Interestingly enough, they have changed thier format and this is no longer possible to do.

Any bets on this being blue too?

Time to pack the rest of the B.O.B.
edit on 15-4-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Cudos for the heads up man. Although satellites could get knocked out by a comet pass it does not neccesarily mean a direct hit. By all accounts from what I have seen it is pretty close however.

Time will tell I guess...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join