It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the most important survival tactics, IMO.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I learned of this a long time ago, I was talking to someone who would go out into the woods and survive by themselves for a long time, with nothing but what he could carry. He told me that the most important thing I could know was how to stay warm in a crappy situation, Minus just starting a fire, of course.

He told me that if I ever get stuck, like my vehicle breaks down, or something happens and I am trapped out at night in the freezing cold that there is one technique that will help me out.

I will try and relay what he told me, as I did what he said and it worked perfectly, and all it involves is a fire.

He told me to try and find a good place out of the wind and dig a trench, about a foot deep and 16-18" across as close to my height as possible. Line the trench with rocks scattered about and then lie kindling on top and around the rocks, the length of the trench. You are then supposed to light a fire and let it burn for a couple of hours in the trench. If you do not have a fire starter in your vehicle...Go get one, now!

After the couple of hours is up, fill the trench in with the dirt you took out in the first place. Place some soft brush on top and it should be a nice warm bed.

If you did this correctly it will stay warm for plenty of hours, you have to be careful though as it might be too hot if there is not enough room between you and the hot rocks.

If you have a blanket as you should have in a vehicle, then you are good to go and you do not have to worry about getting up from to coldness to make sure the fire is still lit, and perhaps relighting it.

So there you have it, when I was told of this I thought it was awesome. I am not sure if it is widely known, and people are going to call me mental for making this thread, but I thought I would share it for the people that didn't know or have not heard of this technique before.

Hope you like my first survival thread.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

It does work. Done it many times and when I'm out camping in the winter, I take a few of the rocks from the fire pit rim, wrap them in towels and stuff one at the foot of my sleeping bag and put a few around the inside of the tent to warm up the air.

The towels act as insulation to keep the rocks warm longer but moss works well also.

Works great.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Yeah this is definitely a good technique - one of the best ways to efficiently conserve heat...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I would have to say that Rain Gear is the best thing to keep as you can sleep sitting up the rubber will keep you insulated and dry.

A fire magnesium fire starter in the pocket, 6" buck knife, and two rolls of dental floss.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

It does work. Done it many times and when I'm out camping in the winter, I take a few of the rocks from the fire pit rim, wrap them in towels and stuff one at the foot of my sleeping bag and put a few around the inside of the tent to warm up the air.

The towels act as insulation to keep the rocks warm longer but moss works well also.

Works great.

Awesome tips buddy. Great for camping, I was kinda leaning more towards a survival situation though, as in trapped in an awkward situation that was not planned for. I usually prepared though, at least have a tarp, firestarter, and a knife at the very least. There is no such thing as being too prepared.

Thanks for the tips buddy.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Here is another survival tactic that most people have not heard of. Tampons for bullets wounds.
Tampons saves lives

This may sound funny and crazy but it is true. It is not a new thing. Stories of this date back to the late 60's. I found out about it from a cop that keeps a pack in the truck of this patrol car with the first aid. He told me he learned about it from his days in the army.
edit on 4/14/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Tampons are very handy to have around, I have heard that before, not only for handy situations, but in case your with a woman. I always thought how crappy it would be to be a woman in a SHTF scenario. There would never be enough feminine care.

I also think it's funny, how men nowadays love clean shaven women (me too, I'm not a hypocrite) because in a SHTF scenario, they would have hairy armpits and legs and look partially like men. Have you ever seen those women with weird facial hair?

Pred...
edit on 14-4-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Good information. If you can find a rootball to use as backing light a fire in that pit and use one of those reflective emergency blankets to reflect heat back at you. Works best if you have a light plastic tarp in between you and the fire (fire can't be to close to it though) as it will have a greenhouse effect.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I love the little emergency blankets!! They can be folded very tiny and take up very little space as well. Another object you should surround yourself with. (home, work and vehicle.)

Better safe than sorry.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
keep a 9 volt battery and a piece of steel wool in your kit to start your fire

also A FLASHLIGHT!!!!
edit on 4/15/2011 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I have a nice smooth rock I stick in the oven while I am cooking in the winter, then put it at the end of the couch or under my desk to keep my feet warm. I can't put it in the bed with me, cause I'd kick it off and probably kill my poor dog that sleeps at the foot of the bed. WOOF

I don't have any great survival tips to offer. I guess if you are being chased by the cops or trying to run away in a city full of cameras, know that pattern detection is really going to be looking straightline and for the pattern on the back of your shirt, so zig zag a lot and pull your shirt up and down or take a jacket off if you can.

I have all sorts of useless trivia like that rattling around in my head...hmm..what else bubbles up...

plantains- those flat green plants some call weeds- you can eat the leaves and they are good when they are young, but they also make a heck of a dressing. They really help to decrease scar formation. Just learn the veins so you grab the right plant. They run the length of the plant.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Don't forget your quikclot. Personally I'd much rather have that handy than a tampon in case I got shot.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Ok, you spend $50 on that stuff, and see how much you can stock up on.
Not sure of you used the quickclot, but it burns, there are much cheaper and just as useful alternatives that don't burn. Hemcon is a much safer alternative which the military has gone to.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
My significant has been saying use rocks from the fire pit all along. Cover with dirt and pine bough. So spot on OP.
When building your fire for evening meal put a couple of good sized rock in the middle and then have a double line of rock as your fire ring. Using the inner ring for your bedding assembly, but the next morning your middle rocks may warm your hands or metal beverage cup while waiting for the breakfast fire to get started. Also one needs to consider how are they going to handle hot rocks with out getting burned. Field first aid sucks and will limit your survivability.
I am looking for a wrought iron tripod or spit poles for long term camping or semi permanent bug out situation. Then if it looks like going to be more than a month or two building a mud oven.
Last night Survivor Radio was emphatic about sleeping off the ground, in the trees, thats where rocks in your sleeping bag works.
Thanks for the infos.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

Your welcome.

I was looking at the survival hammocks and they look awesome, I might get myself one of those. I like the idea of puttingvthem in your tent or sleeping bag, both great ideas and in an emergency situation both would be very helpful.

Thanks to all the input this thread has provided.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Don't foget hypnosis. When someone is in shock they are in a hypnotic state (hence the value of 9/11 for mass mind conditioning by TPTB).

SO, if someone is shot or injured in some way, If medical help is not immediately available, as soon as possible after they've been hurt when they have gone right into shock, you can give them suggestions that could help save their life. Tell them that through shock they are in a hypnotic state and you're going to give them suggestions for healing the wound. This way you gain their consent Give suggestions that their body knows how to heal itself, that the bleeding will slow down/stop until they get medical assistance and no infection will form. Repeat this a few times in a calm, positive tone of voice. ( I personally would prefer to give suggestions to slow down the bleeding to a trickle rather than stop it, because the bleeding can be cleaning out dirt). You can give them suggestions that they will heal quickly and easily too.

If you are alone you can also do this for yourself, if you are able to. Acknowledge that you are in shock and therefore in a hypnotic state.

If someone is unconscious, they can still 'hear' you, so try it anyway.

Oh, and you can also give suggestions that the pain will reduce or disappear.
edit on 15-4-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-4-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
When you're going to cover the hot rocks in the trench don't do it with damp soil or fresh green bows and branches . Cover with anything dry from dry soil to dry dead wood . Damp soil or green bows and branches will steam lightly with you laying on them making your clothing damp and when the heat from the rocks starts to die down , you start to freeze in the damp clothing . Collect rocks from high up from a river , lake or stream . Many kinds of rocks will saturate with water and when you add heat , a fire , they will explode .

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Tampons are feminine products?

All this time.

I thought they were shotgun cleaners.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

Originally posted by SunflowerStar

My significant has been saying use rocks from the fire pit all along. Cover with dirt and pine bough. So spot on OP.
When building your fire for evening meal put a couple of good sized rock in the middle and then have a double line of rock as your fire ring.

True true..... When I reached your post in this thread... I was reminded, while reading it, that NEVER use "River Rock" or stones from a river bed etc. They have water in them and are known to explode... Thanks for reminding me!!!!! Don't need to see that again lol.... Believe me, it often happens and is a must to learn about and always avoid.

Thanks again...
edit on 2011/4/15 by Serafine because: editor laughed at me

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bandito

Sorry man... I responded to sunflowers... post and mentioned the river rocks explode number... sorry lol... Then I saw your post.... Yes it's true alright... seen it in action. Let's keep spreading the word... everyone should know this, or be reminded.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join