It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the 'Birther' argument really just a way to discredit reasonable criticism of POTUS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Is the 'Birther' argument really just a way to discredit reasonable criticism of POTUS? This 'issue' keeps popping up on ATS, and would seem to be perpetuated by one or two one-issue posters who seem dead-set on keeping the issue out there, regardless of the reliability (or lack thereof) of actual evidence.

Obama has done and continues to do a lot of things that those on he right and the left disagree with. There is his continuation of certain distasteful neo-con Bush-era policies, like aspects of the Patriot Act, Gitmo, the recent 'war' action in Libya, his back and forth with DADT, etc.

Now, these are issue that many on the right, left and center can agree on. In fact, it might even bring some folks from differing political ideologies to a place of agreement.

But issues like the varying claims about Obama's birth certificate appear to actually BENEFIT Obama and the Democrats by discrediting just about anyone critical of him and them by association. I know if I was a DNC strategist, I would start an ATS account drumming up the BC issue as it would waste space that might be dedicated to threads looking at Gitmo, Libya, etc.

What says you? Is the "BC" issue a Democratic plot to make those critical of Obama look downright moronic?
edit on 14-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: .line spelling error

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
To answer the op's question, no.

...It's an add-on to all the other slaps in the face.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Barrack does not have interests of the people in his heart of mind. I think there is evidence of fraud in regards to his "story." He was chosen for a reason though and the final outcome of that course is still unclear.
The whole system is corrupted and in desperate need of purification.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The world is a stage that presents the acts within the global theater where Obama is his stage name.

No big.

The next episode is lame candidates that force a second term so we can continue discussing the rights of the untouchables.

Did we ever convict Bush or Cheney?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

The next episode is lame candidates that force a second term so we can continue discussing the rights of the untouchables.

Not sure what you mean by untouchables, but I agree that the GOP will likely only field absurdest 'candidates' who make a mockery of themselves with birther-esque arguments, guaranteeing a second Obama term.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

The president is untouchable.

Clinton used his position to make millions on questionable deals oversees.

George Bush tortured, occupied a foreign land without cause, etc;

Cheney used his position to make millions off outsourcing government jobs to his own company.

The list goes on forever.

The sad thing is people are conditioned to defend these crimes because we are lied to about the trojan horse used to conceal the crimes.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

You actually think birtherism is a Dem conspiracy?

Pence, Tancredo, Trump, Palin, Beck, Rand Paul, Pawlenty, Santorum, Crying boy, Fat pill ., all covering for Obama.

That's a good one.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

since this is a conspiracy site i am going to floating this theory out there that the left created the birther issue to discredit the right to create and maintain a bigger division in america so they will maintain the presidency and retake the house.

in a word power and the right played right along because it didn't matter whether they ran with it or denied it either way the would still be pegged as lunatics.

the power to divide doesn't take facts just a nudge and people will run with it because people will believe what ever they want to believe based on their own perceptions of reality.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

The GOP is free to stop at anytime

It is like grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory

Although I think the GOP is really screwing up by alienating the middle

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The whole birther movement is nothing more then thinly veiled racism . Nobody or very people gave a dam that in 2008 McCain wasn't eligible(SP?) to be POTUS . Should you buy the daft notion that someone who was born Panama Canal Zone is a natural born citizen then , it wouldn't matter even Obama was born in Kenya .

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
To answer your question, No! it is just the very beginning, For me it should have been the first thing that was addressed! If procedure was followed the rest would have never happened! The man is a fraud! from start to finish! His whole administration's sitting was a purposefully planed fraud!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

The whole birther movement is nothing more then thinly veiled racism . Nobody or very people gave a dam that in 2008 McCain wasn't eligible(SP?) to be POTUS . Should you buy the daft notion that someone who was born Panama Canal Zone is a natural born citizen then , it wouldn't matter even Obama was born in Kenya .

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

That is absolute crap..

So please explain the black people asking the same questions??

To pull the race card is nothing but an easy out...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

Not that this is the only reason why McCain is eligible but he had TWO count them TWO parents who were born in the USA and were only there serving in the military. Much different don't ya think.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
That is absolute crap..

So please explain the black people asking the same questions??

To pull the race card is nothing but an easy out...

I am more than willing to believe this has nothing to do with race. Perhaps you can explain to me though what differentiates Obama from past presidents to earn him such greater levels of scrutiny?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by xyankee
reply to post by xpert11

Not that this is the only reason why McCain is eligible but he had TWO count them TWO parents who were born in the USA and were only there serving in the military. Much different don't ya think.

Could you please show me where it is specified that both parents must be born in the USA in order for you to be eligible for the presidency of the United States of America, please?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

I am more than willing to believe this has nothing to do with race. Perhaps you can explain to me though what differentiates Obama from past presidents to earn him such greater levels of scrutiny?

I questioned nothing bar the fact I don't think it's a race issue..
Save the rest of your bias for the other threads you frequent on this issue please.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It may very well be true that he wasn't born in America but it also very well may be true that he is CIA, so there are more important things to look at but because it is a constitutional question a lot of people are interested in it

But not so for Hawaii court system, they think it's a non-issue!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Sigh.

Hey, all. There are plenty of threads for the endless, circular arguments about whatever 'evidence' there is regarding his BC.

I'm more interested in examining whether or not the whole issue is being perpetuated by hose in politics/government who want it to be a distraction from far more important issues.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

since this is a conspiracy site i am going to floating this theory out there that the left created the birther issue to discredit the right to create and maintain a bigger division in america so they will maintain the presidency and retake the house.

I tend to agree. Maybe not specifically the DNC, but certainly the corporate forces that pull the strings of partisanship, presenting the false dichotomy of D vs. R.

I've heard rumor that the 'birther' argument was essentially manufactured by the Hillary camp in the run up to the 08 elections

Can anyone point me to some concrete evidence for this theory?

the power to divide doesn't take facts just a nudge and people will run with it because people will believe what ever they want to believe based on their own perceptions of reality.

Indeed. In fact, the BIGGER the lie/rumor, the better, because, as you say, the facts dont matter. Just keep the issue out there for people to argue in circles, perpetuating the polarization you refer to that keeps people divided over petty issues instead of noticing they are being played by both 'sides'

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Well in this case ample evidence exists to support the birther movement being racist . To answer your question something like racism can become so institutionalized that neither it practices or its victims realize what is happening . When the birther movement first emerged I thought at the time that ignorance was a big factor . But now with the case of McCain there is only one reasonable explanation .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join