It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is WTF realy any different than dropping the "F" Bomb?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
There is a reason why staff dicuss any and all actions, prior to taking them.

It's because of these sorts of situations. What I consider "net speak" or "censor circumvention" such as WTF, or whatever, another fellow mod may not.

Consensus is the key.

IMO the T&C is pretty clear, no censor circumvention period. The words caught by the censor are neither intelligent nor are they required or wanted on the boards here at ATS. They are un-intelligent sounding and do nothing but provoke responses of hatred and rudeness.

As for the net speak, I won't jump all over a post for using LOL or U2 or something of that nature, however it does again look silly and un-intelligent.

So, the solution? The ALERT/COMPLAINT feature. It is the staff's job to decide what is within the T&C and what is not. No it's not a black and white sort of thing, there is quite a bit of gray area there when it comes to certain policies.

The reason we deem them "gray" is because if we were to jump on every single post that violated the censor circumvention or net speak rules, we would have half as much content as we do now.

So please folks, just use that feature, let the staff deal with it and if you think it might get you in trouble, don't post it!

On a side note I am always available to answer any questions or give opinons about content and whether or not it breaks the T&C. Please just send me a PM if you need anything and I will get back you ASAP.

~Keeper
ATS Moderator
edit on 4/16/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Alright, that's the answer I was expecting.

Now my next question: Why have that part in the T&C then? I understand this is the Internet and there are certain abbreviations are common, but why have the no net speak rule if, from the looks of it, it is not enforced? It sends a confusing message. We can break one rule but not the other?

Like I said before, either way I'll still be around here. Just need to know what's what.

and a big THANK YOU for your quick response.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Well, the rules are there so in the event that staff feels a post should be removed for using net speak or censor circumvention that there is an actual hard rule that we can refer members to.

We want to prevent as much as possible members thinking we are just censoring them based on their opinions, or the opinions of that particular mod. When members claim this to be the case, we can refer them to the T&C so they know what is expected of them.

That's the way I see it.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

IF that's going to be the official answer ok then.

But I'd suggest the Moderators and Administration here take a look at that general policy.

Anyone post banned can now come back here and say "SEE NOT ALL RULES ARE EXPECTED TO BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY HOW WAS I TO KNOW!" Silly, but I would put money on it happening sooner than later.

By your answer, we are now able to interpret the rules as we see fit. It's putting you guys in a sticky situation.

This issue is resolved as far as I am concerned, I'm not the type to throw this back at you guys. I just think it should be re-evaluated.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

No no.

You misunderstand.

I was specifically talking about this policy, the censor circumvention and the net speak, not ANY other rules within the T&C regarding behaviour or anything else.

This isn't about us being subjective with the general rules of ATS, this is the staff providing some common sense to rules that exist in the event they are required to be used. There are VERY few of these rules that merit a second look, when the situation arises.

Please don't think that using this thread, or any of the moderator comments within will get you a free pass at breaking any of the rules. New members or long term. We re-evaluate our T&C whenever a complaint is filed in regards to the Net Speak policy or the Circumvention policy, which is why most of the time the post does not get removed, only edited with the proper mod note.

We aren't here to tell people what to say or what to think. However the way in which people say it is what we care about.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
If not applied against another ATF member, with the intention of offending him, or a third party, all English words, including "four-letter-words", should have no special treatment, or persecution,

The first, and most insidious, form of censorship, is the war on the use of language, and the PC BS.
I find it very strange, and worrying, that a site like ATS should choose the easy rout, the one of censorship, and constant threats against some of it's members. Then again, the "awakening movement", new-age crap, and leftist agenda, are all about hive-mentality, and the creation of totalitarian mass-movements...

If it's bullying, or constant harassment, some words, language, and posts should be targeted, no doubts about that. But, never forget, all that demands context...not some "bot" removing posts on account of a couple, or is more widespread, of words that somebody, having outward motivation, decided should be excluded from the English lexicon...

On the other hand, forbidding certain words, that are part of the language, is outright censorship, in my opinion...then again, ATS wants to grow, it's control structure has a political agenda, and, above all, an economic, cooperative, and aggressive, commercial view.

It would be wrong to alienate all those potential sponsors, with a little uncouth language...after all, like all tyrants keep telling us: "Yes, it's censorship...but it's for your own good, to protect you from yourselves...you're too stupid to have an opinion, or take care of yourselves, so we have to step in, and do it for you"

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This thread has run its course.

Closed by staff consensus.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join