It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Habitable Treehouses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Searching for that elusive balance. . .

Now for the most important aspect of childhood backyard dreams: a treehouse. There were so many tantalizing options here that I couldn’t choose just one. I feel like the ultimate treehouse needs to have a rope ladder coming up through a little trap door–that’s essential in my (repressed childhood) treehouse dream–and it needs to be more than like 8 feet off the ground…a little sense of adventure here, people. And the absolute most essential feature? A zipline, baby. Ideally I’d like the zipline to go from the bedroom window to the treehouse (a la Home Alone) and then from the treehouse to the playset passing over the pool about halfway…perfect for a well timed jump into the pool. I realize there would be all kinds of liabilities with this idea. I’d basically be having every kid (and parent!) who ever came to my house signing consent forms, but what kid wouldn’t love it?
Okay, okay maybe the drop into the pool idea isn’t the brightest and maybe even that maternal worry thing would kick in with that one…especially when the kids get a little older and more daring/stupid…how about an adult only zipline from the adult treehouse? We gotta live a little too…

The Casting Dock

Free Spirit Spheres

Welcome to the world of Free Spirit Spheres, set among the tall trees of the west coast rainforest of Vancouver Island, Canada. We invite you to experience a tree house for adults... 16 years and over. (liability considerations)
Built on vision and engineering these handcrafted spheres are suspended like pendants from a web of rope. They occupy a truly unique place in the world while providing a habitat for the un-tamed spirit that exists in us all.
If it suits your un-tamed spirit you may wish to purchase a sphere or components to build your own. Uses for these spheres are limited only by ones imagination. Healing, meditation, photography, canopy research, leisure and game watching are just some of the things you can do.
Spheres, Eve, Eryn and Melody, are available for overnight rental. We are approximately 30km north of Parksville on Vancouver Island along the Inland Island Hwy (#19), near Qualicum Bay. The acreage is on private property close to Horne Lake Caves, Georgia Strait and Mount Washington. Come experience an enchanted coastal rain forest.... your comfortable, gently swaying, restful sphere awaits.

Free Spirit Spheres

Outa The Woods

Located in wild, gorgeous British Columbia, this 15ft. tall platform home is built upon 7 trees. As one would expect, it also features some incredible design characteristics that look like something out of The Lord of the Rings; including carvings, 2 handmade spiral staircases, and rustic furniture. You’re even treated to a beautiful view of the Rocky Mountains from the living room. All this, and it’s only $150/night with access to over 320 acres of hiking, fishing, and lake activities.

Outa The Woods

Invisible Treehouse Hotel

It is an old architectural trick used since the invention of mirrored glass: covering buildings with the reflective material and declaring that they blend in with the surroundings. Most architects use it to convince wary citizens that it is OK if their building is tall because it will reflect the sky and nature. The rendering always makes the building disappear, and the reality is always a big clunky mirrored box.

TreeHugger

Man's Ambition

This treehouse was built by a man who wanted a hobby, unfortunately the hobby took on a life of its own and tens of thousands of dollars later, including the divorce from his wife over this, is his masterpiece!
Beautiful Abodes

Incredible Yellow Treehouse Restaurant Rises Above New Zealand

Located on the edge of a redwood forest with views over open meadows and streams, the treehouse restaurant is a magical integration of nature and function. Access to the pod is gained via a long low angle planked walkway, which also makes it wheel chair accessible. Since the project’s completion it has earned a number of awards, including the New Zealand Institute of Architects Branch Award, Gold Award at the New Zealand Institute of Design – BEST Awards, the Excellence Award from the New Zealand Institute of Building, and it was a finalist in the World Architecture Awards 2009.
Read more: Incredible Yellow Treehouse Restaurant Rises Above New Zealand Yellow Treehouse – Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World

Inhabitat

Some more examples for your enjoyment

Treehouses express individuality almost as personal as those who build them. There is some part of me that someday would love to find a special secret spot far away from the publics eye's and build one of these myself. Just an unconventional retreat from daily life and urban living.
Hope you enjoyed!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Amazing Pictures!

However, the last picture (caravan one) seems quite weak!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Check this place out too. It is where I live in Oregon, and it is awesome! Hard to get a place though, as it is pretty popular. They call it a "Treesort" for obvious reasons. I like the one you posted above that is invisible! That is so cool looking!

www.treehouses.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Awesome, love this stuff!

That last one belongs to Larry The Cable Guy, if I'm not mistaken.

The yellow New Zealand is my favorite, I like the curvilinear shapes better than the right angled ones.
S&F

Peace,
spec

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think the last restaurant is the best one also.

I am going to look and see if there are any over by my area now.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I totally want to live in a tree house after seeing those pictures. Some of them are absolutely amazing.

S&F!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
S&F for the pics, really enjoyed them, especially the last one!
I couldnt imagine living in one though.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
cool thread I have always loved building tree houses..

one of my Faves... TrailerParkTreeHouse

edit on 4/14/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

Have you heard of Shigeru Ban? Japanese Architect that uses shipping containers.

Link

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I haven't seen those that is way cool!!!

cant believe how big it is.. (thts what she said
)

a friend of mine worked on a movie where they welded a ton of those together i think it was surrogates.

I have played with the idea of a storage container as a frame for my house bury a few and then stack 2 more on top have a huge house for very cheap.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04121cebec50.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7bc1dcf17ecc.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38ab2c978aa1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d776eba1f50d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3d827268b6c.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

They make great cheap bomb shelters also.

All you need to do is bury them and encase in reinforced concrete.
I saw the house you posted it is incredible inside, you would never know!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
The first one looks like something out of Disneyland! lol

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I like the mini-mansion.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I remember watching 'Swiss Family Robinson' as a kid. Their treehouse was the coolest house I had ever seen. I was sooo jealous. I would sit up in a tree for hours imagining that I lived in it, just like they did.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60de9db764d4.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/245aa4a4a71e.jpg[/atsimg]

'Bird's nest' house

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Here are some more interesting dwellings:

Cantilever House

Goreme Rock Houses

UFO House

One of these UFO houses was outside Seaside, NJ for 30 years by the Toms River Bridge. Always wondered who the heck lives in that thing!

new topics

top topics

join