Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm in the wing it crowd. I am a hunter and fisherman and have enough at my disposal to last awhile.
I figure when my time is up, the good Lord will see to me. I don't think that outcome can be changed.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sforscott
reply to post by jude11

Yeah i've been on this forum for awhile. I saw a bunch of "How to create a bob" threads awhile ago, and i haven't had the cash until now. And now i can't find those threads! lol

I've just been stock piling on free pdf's and dryer lint til now lol

Here are a few sites that offer tips on low budget bob's.

survivalcache.com...

www.canadianpreppersnetwork.com...

offgridsurvival.com...

www.survivaltopics.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
I'm in the wing it crowd. I am a hunter and fisherman and have enough at my disposal to last awhile.
I figure when my time is up, the good Lord will see to me. I don't think that outcome can be changed.

Always good to have those skills and the tools that come with enjoying the lifestyle.

Let's hope the fish are biting!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Everyone around me thinks it's a crazy idea.( I live in a big city) I am doing this for my family. I go to the store and buy a few extra items each time. I have stored enough for a few months. Water is very important, you can't survive without water.
Whatever happens, I would like to be prepared. If you have some food and water, you can think and plan. People back in the day used to store food and can things themselves. Having food for any emergency is not a crazy or bugged out thing to do. I don't store food because I am scared to die. What if you live and starve to death? Or you watch your children starve. No one knows whats in store but, my inner self is saying something is coming and it is going to blow people's minds. Be prepared. Don't live in fear but, be safe rather than sorry.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue5
Everyone around me thinks it's a crazy idea.( I live in a big city) I am doing this for my family. I go to the store and buy a few extra items each time. I have stored enough for a few months. Water is very important, you can't survive without water.
Whatever happens, I would like to be prepared. If you have some food and water, you can think and plan. People back in the day used to store food and can things themselves. Having food for any emergency is not a crazy or bugged out thing to do. I don't store food because I am scared to die. What if you live and starve to death? Or you watch your children starve. No one knows whats in store but, my inner self is saying something is coming and it is going to blow people's minds. Be prepared. Don't live in fear but, be safe rather than sorry.

Good Post!

Tried these?

www.filtersfast.com...

Better grab one fast as they look like they are selling out at a lot of sites.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
These are the responses I'm hearing:

You can't prepare for everything? - Who says you can't. it's just a few basic items.

What am I preparing for? - Interruption of your daily life; what you eat, where you get your water, how you stay warm and dry, then you can worry about entertainment.

Why bother? Odds are very good that all of us will experience a situation where the power goes out for a week, a storm blows trees down and nobody can drive anywhere or a blizzard or ice storm brings life to a standstill for days on end. One can guarantee that happening during their lifetimes.
In the last 20 years I've had my house flooded, lived without power for 9. 7 and 12 days for hurricanes and blizzards. Plus lost a car to a falling tree ( thanks Isabel!)

I don't have the money - You're going to eat, no question about that and grocery prices are only going to rise so it makes sense to buy more food now to save money. 2 weeks worth of canned goods, beans, rice, flour, sugar will only run you about $100 and you're going to eat it eventually anyway.

Contingency plans cost you nothing.
Establish agreed places to meet if things get bad and an alternate as well.
Have a few candles. blankets, sleeping bags and maybe a propane stove handy.
And a deck of cards.
that will get you through most anything.

Arsenals cost ya extra

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thank you for the info. I was thinking about a Berkey water system. Have you heard anything about them? I was told they are very good and could purify stagnant pond water.
edit on 14-4-2011 by blue5 because: spelled word wrong

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
These are the responses I'm hearing:

You can't prepare for everything? - Who says you can't. it's just a few basic items.

What am I preparing for? - Interruption of your daily life; what you eat, where you get your water, how you stay warm and dry, then you can worry about entertainment.

Good points here. Exactly one of the reasons for this thread.

I know there are a lot of people with little funds and are not confident that they can at least do small things to make a big difference in the long run.

So many things we will need are already in the house and we just need to make sure they are in one easy-to-get-to location. Like in the closet by the door.

Those extra socks, knives and blankets are doing no good in 3 different locations throughout the house.

BTW...sorry 'bout the car.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I have bought water proof matches (fairly cheap) and I have stored extra dog food for the dogs. I think that storing for your animals is important too.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Thank you for the info. I was thinking about a Berkey water system. Have you heard anything about them? I was told they are very good and could purify stagnant pond water.
edit on 14-4-2011 by blue5 because: spelled word wrong

Most of these portable ones will do the stagnant water thing. Just make to ask and yes I have heard of Berkey being a good brand.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I recommend reading When all Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin.

One of the best books I have read regarding this. He gives you a common sense approach on how to prepare. He is adamant about not spending a lot of money in doing so. Most of the things you would need are very basic and he preaches doing more with less. As an example, instead of having a fork and a spoon, use a spork instead. He does not tell you what you need, but gives you the information and you decide what to do from there. It is impossible to fully prepare for an emergency when you do not know what the emergency is. But there are basics that apply across the board, and it is up to you to decide what is best for you. In my opinion, survival is more mental than it is physical.

Even if you do no more than throwing a knife, a pair of socks, pants and a lighter in a bag and put it in a closet, you will be better off if you had done nothing at all.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Asktheanimals

I have bought water proof matches (fairly cheap) and I have stored extra dog food for the dogs. I think that storing for your animals is important too.

Not pretty but the dog food may end up for you and sadder still...the dogs also.

Not for that scenario tho. I love my dogs and they are great companions. weapons and alarm systems as well.

I'd hate to eat Toto!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I hope I'm not derailing this thread but I look at this question in a little different way.

Why do you want to survive? Of course survival is a basic instinct but what then? Do you feel you personal should survive for some reason? If an event happens the causes our society to significantly collapse are you prepared to recreate it in a better way? Have you even thought beyond simple living through "it"?

In short, what is your reason for survival? Is it simply to survive or is their a goal beyond that? It seems to me that many who are preparing are focused on the major event, whatever that may be, and the world they are expecting/preparing for and that is not a world that I look forward to. I suppose it's logical to prepare for a world of violence, or.... are you creating the world that your preparing for?

I guess that answers your question in way, I am not preparing. Not by stockpile, arming myself, or building a shelter. I am preparing for whatever comes by learning skills knowing myself and the world around me.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Any time I read these types of threads I wonder, do any of you consider your extended families and how well they are prepared? Just Sayen.. Or is this just an immediate family thing?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Depending on looting is not good.

You will not be alone in your looting and will possibly have other looters looting what you looted.

Try looting farm houses in the south and I can almost promise you, you will be neutralized.

And there is the thing about being too sorry to plan for your survival and expecting to steal from those that have prepared.

I must admit I did think about looting a drug store but I would not want to kill or be killed as I would not be the only one hitting the pharmacy. It would be a popular target.

However, I would not have a second thought about killing to protect my supplies.

link   
reply to post by jude11

I also been a camper my whole life, two of the hunting cabins I frequent still have outhouses and manual hand pumps. For those who have wells with electric, a generator is key for a backup.

It amazes me how disconnected people have become with the conveniences that we take for granted.
i can see how people easily panic. They frak ove their cell phones or computers losing signal.
What would they do if anything remotely major happened? Even a tornado or hurricane.

Take Katrina, look at at that mess. Look at the 2003 power outage in the Northeast US. New Yorkers didn't know what to do. I don't think I need to link to either of thoses, most peopel remember both.
At the minimum, people should have soem plan, understanding of their surroundings and basic survival skills.
I guess Dawinism will take over and maybe rightfully so.

link   
i have done nothing.

i have been a hunter/outdoors type since childhood. boyscouts, hunting with dad since i was 6, i was probably fishing with my dad sitting in my car seat as an infant haha.
i started shooting guns at a really young age.
but guns are really not my thing. im not a crazy gun carrying militiaman member lol i dont own or have never owned a pistol. i dont like them and i think they are a last resort option.
i quit rifle hunting because there is no challenge to it. tens of thousands of people in the woods in 1 county just slaying deer the 1st week of the season is just mad and its too easy.
i still try to get out during small game and turkey.
turkey hunting is a challenge. especially with a bow.
during my rifle hunting days i would go north for for a weekend each bear season.
out of the 6 times trying to hunt bear i never shot nor even saw one in the woods. i have only seen them off season.
i always liked shooting but i recently sold all of my guns but 2. i kept the only practical needed ones. guns and ammo = expensive. arrows = cheap.
when it comes to outdoors my time is spent shooting a bow and fishing.

i started shooting bows since i was old enough to pull one back.
i shot in an indoor archery league for 5 years from age 13-18.
i used to set up "3d" courses twice a month at our sportsman club and would go all over pa to other places 3d shoots.
i never had a crazy bow setup like some i have seen.
guys go all out with high mag scopes and 4 foot stabilizers drop rests and carbon arrows w/ expandable broad heads.

i developed quite the skills with just a basic setup.

i have a hoyt from like 2002 with pin sights and a normal rest set at 60lbs.
i use normal aluminum arrows. and 10''x1" home made weighted solid aluminum stabilizer.
i use a caliper release.
aand i guess ill bring up the fact that im deadly accurate with a recurve bow.
im talking a 2" group at 25 yards

crossbows are cool and have faster fps than bows and are generally more accurate but they take a good while to reload. good recurve people can fire off an arrow every 2 seconds with a bow.

anyone can catch a bluegill in a farm pond with a cigarette butt or gum (something rediculous) a paper clip or safety pin and some twine.
so no need to even talk about fishing. cake.

my survival food situation will be no problem. unless animals/wildlife are out of the question. if thats the case i really dont think i would want to live honestly.

i plan to drive then boot loot and or shoot my way to camp that is north.

really i only need to stock up on some medical supplies and maybe buy some mre's and a bunch of ramen haha (i actually like ramen and no im not a poor college student)

id also like to buy a good military vest helmet and maybe even body armor.

i really wish i had was a small 4cyl diesel vw or something like that with a 2nd fuel tank converted to run on different fuels in case camp was not an option and i had to travel far.
or maybe smaller cc scooter or on/offroad bike.

my project soon is to build a cheap generator with a good ratio pully setup to run one or 2 car alternators to charge batteries. maybe a wood gas setup. just about anything can be powered from 12v car batteries.

okay done ranting haha

link   
edit on 14-4-2011 by dirtycrickrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by villagesmithie
I hope I'm not derailing this thread but I look at this question in a little different way.

Why do you want to survive? Of course survival is a basic instinct but what then? Do you feel you personal should survive for some reason? If an event happens the causes our society to significantly collapse are you prepared to recreate it in a better way? Have you even thought beyond simple living through "it"

Good post.

Yeah, that is a valid question and many are asking the same thing so that's the other point of this thread.

I believe many will find out how strong the will is to live when they are in the woods so to speak. People that don't prepare at least a little will find themselves really struggling when their will to survive kicks in. And it will! It's a natural instinct for all life.

There are those that want a do-over as well. Just sick and tired of everything today and want to spend their last few years living on their own terms instead of TPTB.

I also suspect that many are watching a lot of doomsday movies and see it as totally liberating. Grab that Harley off the lot and cruise America while you can. No people, no worries. Free groceries, no bills and a beautiful woman (man) beside them for a ride into the sunset.

Whatever people are thinking will happen is probably nothing close to reality and we are going to face our nightmares in the end.

But, whatever happens...you WILL want to survive and not die from starvation or lack of water. Those ways will be very painful and slow.

Survival will be easier than laying down and waiting to die.

IMO

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Any time I read these types of threads I wonder, do any of you consider your extended families and how well they are prepared? Just Sayen.. Or is this just an immediate family thing?

I know for myself that I am thinking of the family that I can reach. In the SHTF scenario, it may be impossible to reach others.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join