It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Apart from my ex...nope, don't know a single person who is besides me and my hubby now. (Ex did provide me with tons of ammo for my mini-14 and MREs, etc on 9/11...bless his heart) course I did have his two sons with me so most likely they were more for them than me. But no, don't know anyone else 'cept for fellow ATS'rs...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
Apart from my ex...nope, don't know a single person who is besides me and my hubby now. (Ex did provide me with tons of ammo for my mini-14 and MREs, etc on 9/11...bless his heart) course I did have his two sons with me so most likely they were more for them than me. But no, don't know anyone else 'cept for fellow ATS'rs...

It does seem odd sometimes to be the one in a thousand preparing for something when we have no idea which scenario it will be.

Giving you ammo is the least he could do after giving him 2 sons! lol

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Wow, big smile, thank you! Yeah, our sons are smart and totally into "preparedness" to the point of almost distracton for me, but I respect it...I mean why not? It's almost like they were meant to be, brought into this world at this time. And I'm crazy cool mom and respect my sixteen year old's point of view and I tell him, you know, how many moms take their kids out shopping for supplies/food?

He could be doing a whole lot worse, if you know what I mean...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
reply to post by jude11

Wow, big smile, thank you! Yeah, our sons are smart and totally into "preparedness" to the point of almost distracton for me, but I respect it...I mean why not? It's almost like they were meant to be, brought into this world at this time. And I'm crazy cool mom and respect my sixteen year old's point of view and I tell him, you know, how many moms take their kids out shopping for supplies/food?

He could be doing a whole lot worse, if you know what I mean...

Take care of those boys and teach them well. They will be the ones taking care of you when the time comes!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I have preparations for two things: economic collapse of the US (Reserve Currency loss and rapid collapse) and bugout bag in case we need to leave our home due to disaster of some kind or troops knocking on our doors. For the first scenario it's basically a 100+ cans of tuna, a month's worth of water, 25 lb bag of beans, etc. The second is a survival set-up that could keep me alive in the wilderness indefinitely (provided my family and I don't get shot on the way).

My wife gets SCARED simply because I have these preparations!! She doesn't even wanna see 100 cans of tuna and a 25 lb bag of beans, much less a camo pack with an axe and bunch of stuff in the pockets.

She would literally never think about it and turns her back every chance she gets on the state of the world... I think MOST people are like this! They might think something is going on, or maybe have some bottled water in case of a happy lil 3-day emergency where we have to suffer with no hot water for the shower.

People have their heads in the sand... that simple.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Braintax

Originally posted by RizeorDie
I'm not, i dont know what coming. but when it comes then i'll know. if i'm willed to live then somehow i will survive if not then so be it. whats the point of preparing when you might die anyway. let things sort themselves out.

i'll probably loot. in times of chaos its better when you have nothing to lose!

This is exactly how I feel too!
It's all scripted, all I have to do is go with the flow.

exactly. things will somehow work out, there will be tough times but always with a lesson. Rule number one is to look out for yourself and your loved ones, rule number two is never harm any other being for selfish reasons.

when i say loot i mean scavenge, use your surrounding and do/receive services from others.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
i'm not, because you can't prepare for the unknown. you can stockpile and stockpile all you want, it'll never be enough. and will you share your resources. of course you won't. all your tools will eventually wear down and break, or not work or get lost, or get looted. the only safe place would be out int he wilderness, which isn't safe at all. everyone will be looting, killing eachohter, so it honestly does't matter how well prepared you are, you can't stop or prevent everything, and you most likely won't, no matter how skilled or prepared you think you are. don't stress, just roll with the punches and do what you have to do. it's not a bad idea to have some contingency plans, but don't be contingent on your contingency plans. none of us have any clue what is going to happen, or most importantly WHEN, so the best thing to do is prepare mentally, and minimally.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I'm not simply because of monetary issues. At the moment, I can't make much cash, and have about $95 to my name. As soon as that problem is resolved, military surplus here I come!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

My wife gets SCARED simply because I have these preparations!! She doesn't even wanna see 100 cans of tuna and a 25 lb bag of beans, much less a camo pack with an axe and bunch of stuff in the pockets.

Good point here,

My wife started to worry and not sleep. I could see she was getting terrified so I stopped showing here my laptop pages and just did my prep quietly and away from her.

It's bad enough with all the crap coming down without having a stressed out partner to add to it.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

none of us have any clue what is going to happen, or most importantly WHEN, so the best thing to do is prepare mentally, and minimally.

Nothing wrong with having water, clothing, dried food etc. Even if only a little. Doesn't matter what happens, you still need water, warmth and food.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I have to laugh at those that say they cant cuz they cant afford it or they wont cuz why bother
or dont know what to prepare for.

Here is the simplest thing,.
Having a couple a weeks worth of food is NEVER a stupid thing to do
Keeping a couple cases of water on hand is NEVER a wasted item.
Both these things can be consumed at anytime
And.... could keep you alive just a bit longer till you could get a better evaluation of the situation.

Example: look at what happened when Katrina hit the gulf.
That wasnt expected or thought of as a "doomsday " scenario, but it happed
I am sure many of those people wished they had some supplies on hand.
Yes the ones that were on the coast or below a flood plain didnt have a chance
and preparation wouldnt have done them much good,.
But this is where education comes in,. Look at your surroundings,. what could happen
and if it did,. what would you do or where would go. ya gotta think ahead.

Or of course you could just put out an excuse and say I dont have the money
or Why bother, in essence you are saying " I choose to just give up"

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sforscott
I'm not because i have no clue where to start! lol

Very poor reason.

There are thousands of websites besides this one to learn from.

It's not that you don't know where to start.... you just don't care.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I don't think it's a matter of giving up for most with minimal finances. It is most likely a case of not having the experience or knowledge to make due with short finances.

There are small things like instead of paying 1.25 for a bottle of water in the car, buy the 24 pack for 4.25 and put that in the garage. Take a kitchen knife or 2 and put those in there as well.

Buy 2 cans of tuna when on sale and throw one in the garage. Grab those extra socks and put those there. Tarp and a blanket in a plastic garbage bag...there ya go!

Ain't nothing to grab a few bic lighters around and put them in a ziplock bag and...into the garage.

2.25 for a bag of navy beans and sometimes .50 for raman noodles etc. 10.00 spent like this will feed you for a few days or more.

Small steps can work well for a limited budget and these few items will be valuable in time.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It's really very simple.

Some people just don't care about themselves or their loved ones enough to even make any attempt to save themselves in the event of any kind of emergency.

They're lazy and would rather let others and their government take care of them.

'Oh, if something bad happens I would rather just die anyways' Boo hoo. waaaaa...

The problem is that ALL animals have a very strong survival instinct and when the crap hits all those people who didn't want to live now find the urge to live overwhelming. Too bad they will have to scratch out an exsistance like a rat when they could have prepared a little.

Take my word for it, when the time comes you WILL want to live.

Even when American Idol, Starbucks & the internet is gone you will want to live, you just won't because you will be dead soon.

Sucks to be you.......

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Ya,.
It is just funny to me how some people give up so easily like mwood said,.
and let someone else take care of them,.
AS I used the example of Katrina ,. look at how good the government took care of them at
that situation.
Yes buying small amounts at a time would be the best way to address it on a tight budget.
But doing nothing IS just giving up,.
And if someone still believes there is nothing wrong with our world and things are fine,.
Well,.. good luck to them

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

It's really very simple.

Some people just don't care about themselves or their loved ones enough to even make any attempt to save themselves in the event of any kind of emergency.

Some yes, but not all. There are actually people that don't know what to do but at least they are here asking and trying to learn.

Some with no money may not have survival skills and who knows.

Scenario: single mom, low pay or assistance, 2 kids and never been in a survival scenario. Not too far a stretch to see a lack of knowledge or experience in a do or die situation.

Some people just need advice to get them started.

Just sayin...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by jude11

Ya,.
It is just funny to me how some people give up so easily like mwood said,.
and let someone else take care of them,.
AS I used the example of Katrina ,. look at how good the government took care of them at
that situation.
Yes buying small amounts at a time would be the best way to address it on a tight budget.
But doing nothing IS just giving up,.
And if someone still believes there is nothing wrong with our world and things are fine,.
Well,.. good luck to them

On this I agree. Doing nothing is giving up. There is a lot of info and people to seek out for advice.

So yes, everyone can at least do a little.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
i'd like to stock up or be prepared for something, but people think i'm wierd enough already.
also i'm pretty lazy.
anyway i'm sure i could benefit from looting for as long as your preperations will last you.

hard work and good intentions are not rewarded in this life. but i wish you good luck anyway.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
i'd like to stock up or be prepared for something, but people think i'm wierd enough already.
also i'm pretty lazy.
anyway i'm sure i could benefit from looting for as long as your preperations will last you.

hard work and good intentions are not rewarded in this life. but i wish you good luck anyway.

But...how will you loot if you're lazy?

You can't just stroll away from looting.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yeah i've been on this forum for awhile. I saw a bunch of "How to create a bob" threads awhile ago, and i haven't had the cash until now. And now i can't find those threads! lol

I've just been stock piling on free pdf's and dryer lint til now lol

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join