It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by donkeystyle

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by donkeystyle
reply to post by jude11

I'm not preparing because most of you guys are paranoid whack jobs.

Even the intelligent ones sometimes astound me with their ability to believe in nonsense.

Anyways, at this point, it is reasonable to think the US market and country itself my collapse, but from judging by the history books, there will not be 300 million starving or dead americans like everyone here seems to perpetuate.

So now it's being a "whack job" to be self sufficient and prepared?

I live in a country which consists of two volcanic islands. We have more than 500 earthquakes a year. Because my house is located on a hilltop, it is exposed to some occasional Antarctic weather. I don't think anything I have planned to be able to survive is "over the top" or that I am a "whack job".

Stuff happens & when you have lived as long as I have you'll realise that if you don't take a few precautions, you're dead.

Too many people are ignoring history and the recent past and their bones are going to make great museum pieces to explain to future generations that we, as a species, can be pretty dumb, expecting to live in a welfare state, with unlimited resources and exponential financial growth that will ensure we live forever in comfortable bliss.

Get real, it can't carry on this way for long.

edit on 15/4/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

Of course it will not carry on this way for long, society is consuming far more than it is capable of sustaining. That does not mean you need to spend $300,000 USD on a bunker in the one in a million chance there is nuclear war.

I find 99% of the people on here have unrealistic expectations and plans. They think if they pack up a weeks worth of food they are better off than everyone else.

And if you live under a volcano, preparing for a volcano eruption might be prudent. However, it is not prudent to expect that everyone in north america is going to have to fend for themselves like we are back in the stone age. The vibe i get from most people, and "most people" may not be you, is that people are anticipating us living like peasent farmers again as though none of the tools society has made to help us along will be available anymore.

John Malkovich in "red" is what most of you remind me of. But thats what reading a conspiracy forum every day will do to most people.

edit on 15-4-2011 by donkeystyle because: (no reason given)

get real, ive seen what happens to people when even the tiniest things in society breaks down,all out chaos. the power went out in a grocery store i was in once and they were not able to ring up anyone except on 2 aisles. people were literally shoving each other and fighting....

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
If all this global doom and gloom is coming, I don't even know if I want to survive it. Waiting to be drone killed, or diseased out, maybe getting a few more weeks, months. It's terrifying, I can't believe we haven't risen up yet, in way bigger numbers, all over the globe? That would have saved us. Nothing else will.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by repulsive1
I have canned food, bottled water, batteries, torches, blankets, medical supplies, face masks and radios in the strongest room in my home, the laundry. Not because of an Alien invasion, NWO, a Charlie Sheen rampage or WW3. Only stored in case of an earthquake or hurricane that cuts supplies, communication or traps myself and my family. Although might be handy for those previously stated reasons aswell

you forgot the biggest threat:

ZOMBIES!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Question Fate

Apparently most coc aine is now cut with a substance that makes people rot like zombies. Be careful what you imagine funny, because sometimes the jokes on us.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thejlxc
reply to post by Question Fate

Apparently most coc aine is now cut with a substance that makes people rot like zombies. Be careful what you imagine funny, because sometimes the jokes on us.

i thought it was that other crap that people put together in their tubs with battery acid and other crap..

those images are burned into my mind, ive never done a single drug and never will. who knowingly decides to kill themselves...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I am certainly mentally prepared but haven'y really put any survival measures in place. I have complete faith in myself when the time comes that I will have what it takes to go to whatever means necessary to ensure my own survival.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I'm not preparing anything. To be honest I don't see anything that would require a survival mode ever actually occurring in our life times. But even if it did I know plenty of survival skills enough that I wouldn't actually need any preparation. There would be a few basic items that I would need to pick up on the way, but those would be easy to snag if everyone actually started freaking out. Really the only thing that would be essential would be a firearm of some kind, but I'm not a big fan of them and wouldn't use one except to threaten someone off. I would legitimately rather be killed than ever even fire a warning shot at someone.

So I'm definitely not doing any form of preparation just because I view it as unnecessary but to be fair I don't really need preparation for survival skills.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I'm not. Why?

It's very simple. I have no land, and no means of getting any. If you don't have land, you don't have anything.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
About the only thing I've been prepping for is a really bad two week ice storm. Places near me have lost power for up to two weeks. If roads were too icy to drive on, you would have to rely on what's nearby. I do have a compound bow and some camaflouge clothes but I live in a small city and do not have room to store up water. There is a large lake 14 miles away. There are lots of small game not far away and tons of deer farther away outside the city limits which is only about 5 miles away. I'm thinking about it but haven't done much.

I'm depending on the system to keep working to have access to my 401k and other retirement accounts. I'm also checking in and helping an elderly relative who lives nearby and she needs the system to function to stay on her medicine, social security, etc. Most of us need the system to keep working. Otherwise you'll see all of us less prepared forming the mobs or small town militias just to stay alive. If you have an entire small town teaming up for different tasks such as hunting, cooking, etc, etc, I bet that would go far to help. I wouldn't like it but I'm not planning on going underground.

I also have a problem with MSG added to the food and it sometimes is found within other names on the ingredients such as sodium cassenate I believe if I remember correctly. The last ad I saw for long term food supplies was loaded with it. I could be sick for years with those food supplies.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I'm not preparing, cause im too busy trying to figure out what i have to prepare for.

OkOk, i do have my panic backpack, always packed for disaster striking. Nothing much, just some canned goods, health supplies, a tent, and a ninjasword.

But for what ever reason, i'll ever get to use that bag, i'll have to adapt to occuring circumstances, accordingly to what has happened. And unless you prepare for it all, your not really prepared.

And lets face it. You're never really prepared for anything anyways.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'm not because i'm 17, live home and don't have any money.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've been thinking and reading about this recently. What started it? DVRing "Doomsday Preppers" on NatGeo. Fascinating show, however.......OPSEC, people. I don't understand broadcasting to the nation your 10 tons of food, and your bunker that can house 500 people. If you're doing it, great, but don't let the whole world know. Black-hearted people watch TV too.

It has, though, given us many good ideas of little things we can do.

We live in Florida, and have 5 kids in age from almost 21 down to 4, all living at home. To not have ANYTHING prepared for a hurricane or power outage, etc., frankly is being irresponsible and shortchanging my children. It is MY responsibility to provide for them. Not the government, not my neighbors. ME. "Don't breed em if you can't feed em" is my motto. That goes for good times AND bad.

I plan on stocking up on staples: rice, beans, flour, tuna (ugh), noodles, peanut butter, sugar, dried milk, etc. I'd like a water bob, a water filter I can build myself, clothing, knives, first aid supplies, feminine hygiene, vitamins, I have about a 3 month supply of Ibuprofen, aspirin, and Vicodin, and weapons. I've been debating the weapons with small children in the house, so they will absolutely have to be locked up at all times.

My husband is Mexican-Indian, and grew up very poor, so he can cook some bomb ass food from scratch. Rice and beans, homemade tortillas with flour water, and a smidge of lard. In the next month or so, I'm going to start canning as well. I've also read up on food co-ops and CSA here in Florida, and plan on canning what I can get. I also want a small seed vault.

I am not a violent person by nature, but I was in the Army, so I can shoot a gun, and while I wouldn't enjoy it, I would absolutely shoot someone if they were threatening my family.

Do I think living off the land would be hard? Hell yes. I don't even like camping. I've never killed an animal. But if the world "as we know it" changes, I wouldn't have a choice. Luxuries will be gone, and neccessity takes it's place. No Walmart for meat. No cell phones. No power. The electricity scares me the most. We don't have money for a genny, so I don't know how I will get past that.

I'm not, however, stockpiling NBC suits, Geiger counters, or radiation pills, because that stuff is just beyond my realm, honestly.

AZ and Cali have a chain called "99cent only grocery". When I lived in AZ I shopped there frequently. You can get Jennie O Turkey bacon for 99 cents. Anytime a package change occurs, old packaging goes to those stores. Some is generic brand, but there's an overwhelming amount of name brands as well. Besides, most generics are made by name brand companies, so no big difference. They also have auto stuff, band aids, vitamins, etc. good place for someone on a budget to stock up on supplies and BOB items. I'm pissed they don't have that chain here in FL.

I don't buy into the Mayan 2012 stuff, but I do think eventually, something will happen. We can't keep this pace up forever, and I have no reason to believe the planet wouldn't one day hit the reset button. I believe there's a circle of life beyond the one in my realm. Why wouldn't there be a planetary circle of life? Why do we think we are the best and brightest the Universe has to offer? If all our technology goes down, we're in trouble. My iPad 2 and cell phone won't be worth anything then. Technology has in a lot of ways made us dumber. Or at a minimum, lazier. Why learn to bake bread when a machine can do it for me? Why learn to farm when Walmart has my potatoes? THAT will be what hurts us most, I think.

And that is why I've vowed to change my brain. I may not have money to buy property and live off grid, but I vow to teach myself AND my kids, basic things, like breadmaking, gardening, canning, things like that.

And I hope if something DOES happen, on a national or global scale, that yes, after the initial panic and violence (hopefully) dies down, that it does bring us closer together as humans. Screw flags. One day that won't matter. We need to get right with our fellow man, and God for those that believe. God isn,t going to drop a case of filtered water in your lap, but he has provided us the means to LEARN how to do this ourselves. We need to get off our asses.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Very cheap food insurance:

Feed store, $14 for 50 pounds of rolled oats and/or $11 for 50 pounds of cracked corn. It would be bad to COOK and eat it in various ways, but it's infinitely worse to die of starvation. 400 pounds of food for under $200. After 3years storage, roto-till into the heirloom seeded garden for mulch and buy new. If TSHTF it can also be used to bait traps for birds, rats, anything for protein.

As long as you have a ground water hand pump system and a way to cook.
edit on 19-4-2012 by tkwasny because: Addition

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Ok I understand why some people find it unreasonable to prepare for some apocalypse that may never happen (and I agree), but why do so many believe that they will just "know what to do" whenever something happens? Does the military just throw guns, grenades, and the keys to a tank to troops and tell the them that when the time comes, they will know what to do? At least learning what your options are and having an idea would be prudent, especially where I live in tornado alley.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
All I have prepared is a Beretta 92fs with about 50 bullets. I'm sure everything else will sort itself out.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My first post.....I am thrilled to find something I can comment on with confidence. My husband and I are semi-retired. That might give you all a clue to our ages. We have thought of prepping. We have done the research and collected many thoughts and ideas on the subject. After beginning to prepare.....it sort of hit us like a ton of bricks. WHY are we doing this? We are not afraid of dying. We do not have young family to keep safe from harm. Our children have their own families in other states. If there is an event that takes place we will take it as it comes. Of course , if we can be of service to others in some way, I suppose we will die doing that. It just seems like no biggie to us. I would be willing to bet that many of you think we need an attitude adjustment?

No reason
edit on 7-5-2012 by grandmatruthseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I think having some basic supplies on hand, like food and water, for about 2-3 weeks, or even a month, is more than reasonable. In all likelihood we won't see a globe-changing super cataclysm in our lifetime, but I think some disruptions are more than likely.

We're entering a solar maximum, who knows if we could get clobbered by another Carrington Event sized CME. The economy here in the USA is on the brink, as much as the media tries to say otherwise, we're 16 trillion in debt. There are many things that could disrupt society to varying degrees, the trick is to prepare yourself while simultaneously living a full life. I think some people become obsessed to unhealthy levels, where their entire life is prepping.

You don't have to be expecting an asteroid impact to prepare a little here and there though. I look at it as necessary precaution. I do it, get it done with, and continue to live my life as I would normally.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by grandmatruthseeker
My first post.....I am thrilled to find something I can comment on with confidence. My husband and I are semi-retired. That might give you all a clue to our ages. We have thought of prepping. We have done the research and collected many thoughts and ideas on the subject. After beginning to prepare.....it sort of hit us like a ton of bricks. WHY are we doing this? We are not afraid of dying. We do not have young family to keep safe from harm. Our children have their own families in other states. If there is an event that takes place we will take it as it comes. Of course , if we can be of service to others in some way, I suppose we will die doing that. It just seems like no biggie to us. I would be willing to bet that many of you think we need an attitude adjustment?

No reason
edit on 7-5-2012 by grandmatruthseeker because: (no reason given)

Good first post!

One thing I would ask you to do is to at least prepare a little so as to not be caught with nothing. That's the worst scenario possible.

Also, if your children are not preparing it would be a nightmare for them and you if you knew about what's coming and didn't have at least a little put away to help them...just in case.

So what I'm saying is that if you have the means and forethought to prep and you are not interested in doing it for yourselves, do it for your family. When it hits, family will band together and someone should have something put aside for that situation.

Peace

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Thank You ....We have only managed a 3 month supply of bottled water, both canned and dehydrated foods. Toilet paper was HIGH on my husband's list. Wet Wipes and Bandaids and sntiseptic were high on my list. I have to say the dollar has been the largest setback for us creating a larger supply. Hubby thought of a gun for protection and has been talking to one of the sons concerning that. I insist that if I were to have a gun available to me, I would probably shoot someone. ( said with a wicked grin)

We have smart children and they are doing what they believe to be necessary for a social or natural disaster.
I want to comment that I LOVE this website. I have learned so much here. I hope I have not broken any rules by my reply. I am still learning the rules.
Thanks jude11.
Have a good one.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   

edit on 10-5-2012 by grandmatruthseeker because: double post

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join