It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Torgo

You know, that's just what my husband says. He wants to get lawnchairs, a cooler of beer and wine, and have a front row seat!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
i can not do a little thing because i can not afored it i only get paid $7.50 Australian dollars an hour(min wadge) im quiting my job in a week if i dont get a raise
i do have a savings jar only $100,000 more bucks to go

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

edit on 17-4-2011 by jdb51 because: Oops! Posted on wrong thread!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I do prepare: I read and learn my Bible.

I always carry one in my pocket. It's useful in times of peace, and should some cataclysm hit us, I'm sure religion would become very trendy, so that knowledge would be in great demand!

Win-win situation.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Here...solar powered multiband radio, camping/survival gear, 125 lb. protective dog, who knows how to hunt deer for himself

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Swissdom

Hello! Remember me? Bible notwithstanding, what kind of other things have you done to prepare? What would you eat, drink, and how would you hunt for food? What would you do to protect yourself?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
Here...solar powered multiband radio, camping/survival gear, 125 lb. protective dog, who knows how to hunt deer for himself

I hear you there! I also have a 120# dog that is more protective than I want! But, I have to tell you, nobody would approach me if he is standing next to me!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I haven't started actual planning. I have read survival guides and have a general idea of what i want to do, but my most immediate concern is to get out of the state of New Jersey. I live 40 minutes from NYC, and that worries me more than having a stock of canned goods, survival kits or guns.

My personal plans are to move to a 3-5 acre farm area in a lower populated area, possibly in PA or NC, about an hour from major cities. Convincing my fiance to move that far from an urban area is not so easy.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Natasliah

I like your name.. thought it was really pretty, then I just now realized it is hail satan backwards! Interesting! Have you considered Oklahoma? There are some beautiful spots there to kind of hide out and live a wonderful life!

PS Are you also Swissdom?

edit on 17-4-2011 by jdb51 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2011 by jdb51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jdb51

Thank you.
I am not sure who/what Swissdom is, so I can not answer that, other than to confess my ignorance of it.

I haven't considered moving further from the area, I fear that it would be a harder push (my fiance's family and business is here) but I personally would rather move back to WI where my family has an A frame on a few acres in a very secluded area, not to mention my uncles there are seasoned hunters, and my cousin runs a dairy farm.

Who knows? They say that Yellowstone will have a super volcano, and if that happened, the mid-west would probably be a terrible spot to be. Other than that though, I think it's one of the safest areas in the US.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Natasliah

You certainly have a point there. Really, there's either the midwest, or the coastlines, or the border states. All of them have their problems. Where to go? I'd be happy to just have a little distance between me and any major roads or businesses. Neighbors I don't mind, actually. Location, location, location

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Been watching the storms in NC and it is a mess!

45 dead now as far as they know. This is exactly the thing we've been talking about.

It may not be the end of times but if they don't get power back quickly, a lot of people are going to have it rough. I don't know much about the area but many have said that this event was not expected at all. No warning.

Now the news is reporting that the Red River is going to break records this year with extreme flooding in Manitoba and Saskatchewan..

These aren't bug-out bag scenarios but it's going to be easier for those that have at least a few supplies stocked up. Here's hoping that people don't need it.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
That's scary about NC. It certainly prompted a phone call to family. No where is going to be perfectly safe. I suppose the best thing to do is try to find a spot with low crime and far from any military bases and large cities and hope for the best.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
You can stockpile rice, tinned fruit & tinned beans, a little at a time. Or perhaps some "instant" just add water meals. It's no big deal & doesn't cost much. If you get low on food for a week (even with no SHTF situation) you can just prepare something quick from the stockpile & re-fill it later.

As for water, get a big plastic barrel/bucket (with a lid would be good) & fill it from the tap. The barrel doesn't even need a tap of its own, just dip your cup in. Cheap, simple.

Throw a few blankets in a pile, you never know, it might just get neccessary to rug-up warmer.

Camping gear is good, you can use it for fun weekends of family bonding/R&R (or an outdoor concert or two) and then it could also be a lifesaver if TSHTF. Don't assume that expensive is better. Buy for robustness & function.

Throw in a basic first aid kit. Depending on your medical skill, you could enhance this to whatever limit you feel is appropriate. Again, this is helpful even if there is no major emergency. Cheap is good! A tip for dealing with wounds (even quite large ones) is to use food plastic wrap (Saran Wrap for you Americans) as a dressing. It seals the wound & allows visual inspection without compromising the seal!

Your "survival supplies" need to be in a location that won't get blocked if buildings get demolished. A lockable garden shed is probably better than in your house. But if you don't have this facility, use your house. Hide an emergency key somewhere in a location that will be identifiable even if there is a fire/flood/earthquake/tornado/eruption/heavy snow or whatever.

You can save up for a radio, torch, multi-tool, duck-tape, cable ties, wire (or even old coathangers) and add them later.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I live in a big city close to the New Madrid fault line. I own property about 75 miles away. I'm not as prepared as I would like to be. Money is tight and I feel the need to spread my supplies between both places. Water, Oatmeal, rice, dried beans. The dollar store can be budget friendly...I buy things there that I can find no reason for...just that it may be useful for something. I have decided to store some gas this summer. Its very hard when your the only person that's working at it and everyone around you thinks your off your rocker. Hope we all make it...they can thank me then. As for family...they all know where the property is and I have told friends that I feel would have skills to contribute. There will be safety in numbers and advantages to an extended family working together.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Other than a few friends online, NO ONE I know has done any real preparation for a disaster scenario.We have done some planning and plan to do more. As many said..ANYTHING can happen where emergency supplies would be welcome. We are a family of 6 so it is not so simple as just being able to bug out at a moments notice and anyone with 3 or more children understands why. Still...I have steadily, and without scaring them too much, prepared my children for the possibility that something could happen to completely alter life as they know it. My oldest is hoping for zombies, lol. I am a vegetable gardener so I already know my way around preserving and we are already making a transition to a more self sustaining lifestyle. Even if nothing happens...the price to be plugged in to society is getting higher and higher. Ideally I would like to get out of the city but that is not possible at this point. Besides, being in the city is not an automatic death sentence in a SHTF scenario if you know your terrain and can launch an adequate defense. Marauders dont scare me. Cops in stormtrooper mode, however, I am not so keen on.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It's really not that hard to pick up a few basic items. I was in a camping goods store to pick up some fuel for my little campstove today. You could buy a cheapie stove for $9, and a decent little one-burner gas stove for $20. Get one of those, some water purifier for $5, a bag of rice for $5, a cheap tent and sleeping bag, etc. For about $200 you could get everything you need to rough it for 10 days or so.

If you've got kids, just acquire bit-by-bit all the items you would need to go camping for a long weekend. If you have it for an emergency, you're set for at least a few days, and if you don't need it for a disaster you can take your kids on a cheap vacation of camping this summer!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Thank you! Lots of helpful advice here. I liked the Saran Wrap idea, and am going to purchase a roll for my 'survival cabinet'. What a great way to be able to look at condition without having to pull off the bandage constantly, and slowing clotting. Terrific ideas!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Nothing done here - as I will be leaving this country in 6 weeks, having a break somewhere else for a few months and then heading off to Africa for a couple of years. With all that travel and upheaval, emergency kits are not really an option.

Of course, emergency stuff like cash, passports etc is always ready, as is a plentiful supply of water and food, but nothing like a 60 day quantity.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by modified device

Excellent post, as I too have the same beliefs. However, I have assembled a food storage cabinet, have many 9mm and .38 rounds, a propane stove, and a few 5-gallon water containers filled. I used efoodsdirect for the emergency meals and plan on supplementing them little by little. Looking at saving for a small solar generator.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join