It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by barkingdogamato
When I'm at home (the Philippines), I don't need to, we live where we would go. Keep bob in the car for when we go to town. When I'm working I have a 30 day bob in the car or in the hotel room at all times. Course as I work all over the world it will make getting home to the family next to impossible but I will try. Family knows what to do, and how to live.

Wow i wish i could keep a few bob's in the car in case I need them! Think my husband might object though...Lol

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

NO you got me wrong...WE can't afford a place in the mountains...we are 2 miles from the beach :-( BUT WE have stored food and water and have a bug-out bad...after all even the .gov are begging people NOT to realy onn them to bring you water and food but get your own butt ready! i see not reason not to have the basics, my hubby is going a bit overboard maybe though! I have 5 gal. cans of beans and rice all over the place lol!

Ok, got it.

In that case, I'd get a small pull along camper and a map. Even just a used pop-up for under 1,000 bucks.

Take a drive to the hills some weekend and find your spot so you know where to go.

Like I said, anything is better than nothing.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
reply to post by jude11

does ceasing to prepare count? I have a wife and 2 small kids. and a former operator in the suck. (usmc).
i realized that if some scenario did happen, murphy's aw dictates i would not have the one thing needed most, whether raygun against aliens, etc.. and my training insures anyone who isn't trained former military will be losing their stuff to someone who is highly trained.

i stocked up roughly 3 mos @@: canned food. bought a couple knives and bows and arrows. i spent months spazzing over "being ready" then decided F-it. short of winning the lottery there is no way i can be prepared enough. i still have a wishlist if i did come into enough cash to prep properly but since I'm hopeessly unable. oh well why stress.
wishlist for preparedness, go big or not AT ALL. i chose the latter:

1. biodeisel 4x4
2. 6 milspec NBC suits with mask
3. 6 complete level 4 body armor kits
4. 1000 rounds each .7.62 nato, 9mm, .45 acp, 7.62x25 my fave, 30-06, 5.56, .357
5. 36 ft grady white dual console
6. fn fal, m16a3, mp-5, m9, 1911, winchester mod 70 (pre 64-my fave), t-33, model 19 s&w
7. 2 dual sport suzuki 650's
8. huge diesel generator
9. 6 complete 782 gear kits
and on and on....

Ya, same here... I've accepted my doom for nearly identical reasons.
I'll tell you, it's a lot easier to accept when you have hard liquor on hand for those assured violent death scenarios.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by treespeaker
Other than thinking about what I would do and formulating a loose "plan" I have not prepared at all.

The main reason, I live in one of the most geologicaly stable areas in the world. That said the unlikely flooding of the coast due to mass ocean level rise would get me...

After a very large disaster , if I am one of the few survivors....I figure there will be lots of food to scavenge....at least at first.

I think its pointless to prepare to much, as its impossible to plan for every event, and the stress of worry is its own problem.

Last thought. I have a Family and kids. I don't find it likely that in the event of a catastrophy that many survive, one in ___ (inset number) that means my family , kids, friends,self ect will be included no matter how I feel about it, its the law of averages. I think its important to have in the back of your mind the possibility to re-think the family model in an emergency. Family is as Family does. When all comfort is removed its funny who you find under all that glitter.

Peace.

I think the whole point would be the ability to survive for a period of time away from the cities and towns. Wait it out until the initial riots and looting has come to a dull roar.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Me. And it's very simple. On $58 a month for everything, that leaves minuses in the budget even for the things one needs day to day. There is NO money to do anything but wait.
edit on 4/14/2011 by Amaterasu because: brain fart

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
People are preparing, because they're afraid of death, I'm thinking. If it's my time, it's my time... so, you could say I'm prepared for that.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Why does it really matter? So I can continue to live in ruin amongst massive amounts of death and the pain of many loved ones??? Survival would never be a happy existence. I'll choose the least painful route and die. I have a gun and that's it...I have a bullet save for myself if the time comes.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm not prepared.

Here's why: I remember the future, and the world doesn't come to an end. In fact -- the only thing bad that happens next year is that everyone accused of hoarding food, ammunition or precious metals is rounded up and deported to Venus.

True story.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu
reply to post by jude11

Me. And it's very simple. On $58 a month for everything, that leaves minuses in the budget even for the things one needs day to day. There is NO money to do anything but wait.
edit on 4/14/2011 by Amaterasu because: brain fart

Yeah, the cash thing is definitely a factor.

Sad to say but in this scenario, I would scope out the neighborhood and mark where the senior citizens are living. Many will not survive the initial scenario and studies have shown that many will commit suicide because of not wanting to or not having the ability to survive.

In this case, you'll know where to go to find supplies. Best locations will be farm houses or if need be, retirement homes. I am not advocating violence! Just the fact that there will be supplies not being used.

Morbid I know, but it will be a fact of life and a matter of survival of the fittest.

I feel kinda creepy even typing this but...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmrikazNightmar3
People are preparing, because they're afraid of death, I'm thinking. If it's my time, it's my time... so, you could say I'm prepared for that.

I don't think i am afraid of death but what if it turns into a Katrina type thing and you don't die but now you have to realy on others or burden others for basics like water? Why not keep a little stuff for a... not most of us dead scenrio IN CASE it is NOT your time and you have to live through some hard days..weeks or more? Like My grandmother and her family lived through the Great Depression.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AmrikazNightmar3

I'm not afraid of death. I'm afraid of suffering through the starvation and thirst and violence that would engulf my area. If I don't survive initially...so be it. My fear is surviving. Thus I prepare for making the survival less agonizing.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by AmrikazNightmar3

I don't think i am afraid of death but what if it turns into a Katrina type thing and you don't die but now you have to realy on others or burden others for basics like water? Why not keep a little stuff for a... not most of us dead scenrio IN CASE it is NOT your time and you have to live through some hard days..weeks or more? Like My grandmother and her family lived through the Great Depression.

Agreed,

Dieing quickly will be a blessing to many. But dieing slowly because of starvation, dehydration, exposure...no thanks.

Also I suspect that many people saying that they will take their own lives, will not find it so easy as self preservation is a very strong instinct in any species.

If you're not prepared at least a little and find you can't pull the trigger...then what?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think most of the ATS crowd is mentally prepared, which will get us further than most of the population. Not to sound trite, but the best thing you can first do in an emergency situation is to not panick. And I think most of us, if it were to happen, would stay level headed and follow the advice that we've read on here many times.
Also, it seems based on many of the above, that we are well prepared to accept the worst of consequences. This too is a strong mindset to have in dire situations: "The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it." - Band of Brothers

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Good point... I wouldn't want to burden/rely on others who did prepare for the times. Not sure I have the answer for this one. lol

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ballsdeep
If my thoughts on the matter change and I do deem it necessary to prepare, I'd be saving currency, not supplies.

Sure I could get killed and robbed if I wasn't smart about it, but it seems a whole lot easier/cheaper than hardcore stockpiling and I think it could be just as effective.
edit on 14-4-2011 by ballsdeep because: (no reason given)

I think things like coffee, pot, tobacco and even chocolate will be valuable currencies when the SHTF.
edit on 14-4-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Oh, I'm with you. Yeah, anything you need to do to survive.

Creepy or otherwise.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by cleverhans
I think most of the ATS crowd is mentally prepared, which will get us further than most of the population.

I believe you're right in this. Many will remember tidbits of what they read here on ATS and it will serve them well.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RizeorDie
I'm not, i dont know what coming. but when it comes then i'll know. if i'm willed to live then somehow i will survive if not then so be it. whats the point of preparing when you might die anyway. let things sort themselves out.

i'll probably loot. in times of chaos its better when you have nothing to lose!

This is exactly how I feel too!
It's all scripted, all I have to do is go with the flow.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Braintax

Originally posted by RizeorDie
I'm not, i dont know what coming. but when it comes then i'll know. if i'm willed to live then somehow i will survive if not then so be it. whats the point of preparing when you might die anyway. let things sort themselves out.

i'll probably loot. in times of chaos its better when you have nothing to lose!

This is exactly how I feel too!
It's all scripted, all I have to do is go with the flow.

Seems many are taking this stance. Interesting to say the least.

However, I am not clear what you mean by 'Scripted'?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join