It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

It's that easy, is it? Not so, grasshopper. Not so. With your method, you are subject to this: "The Lord giveth,and the Lord taketh away." These times will test our faith. I hope your faith withstands what's coming.

"Ask and it will be given" works only with the purest of intentions. It takes a while to be certain yours is that.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I will more than likely bug out here. My biggest fear is food and water storage. Because I don't live in a very secure rental, it's a two story and built in the 60's. Someone could get in here if they wanted to and take everything. As a single woman I don't know how to secure my home very well other than having a gun. I don't want to bug out in the woods because I won't last a day. I will readily admit that I'm not an outdoor girl, and have never hunted in my life.
If we are hit with a situation that is completely devastating, forget it. I'll just go to the summer lands peacefully.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Calm down buddy, I'm just saying, when all my friends and family are dead, I don't really have an urge to live, I don't mind dying when every one else I know does. What's the point of living then? Just to be around on a crappy earth a few years longer, eventually, we all die, and if you can't enjoy life anymore, why live?

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I am not currently "preparing" primarily because a) I'm preoccupied by the life-events that are taking up most of my time and effort right now, in the grand scheme of things, and b) I don't have the funds to be making said preparations at this point in time.
Although, I'm sincerely beginning to reevaluate my motives of late. This year alone my home state has been through torrential flooding, a colossal cyclone and now a minor earthquake (which never happens in Queensland) and I think it would be wise to at least put some plans together..

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

My dear, *that*, if anything, is preparation. You're doing exactly what you should be doing. Nothing more is needed.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I have not prepared anything for my family. I know I need to but I just do not have ANY extra money to do it. My husband does not "believe", and I do not speak of these things to my two daughters age 6 and 10. I like it that they still think all is well. I live literally paycheck to paycheck and there is not a dime left over 4-5 days before my next check. But inside me it is like a panic/anxiety storm is raging. I live with a tremendous amount of guilt around this, as I do feel like I desperately need to do something... NOW
I just have not figured out how to do this as of yet. With some very near possible end dates looming ... September, October, November... my anxiety spikes more with every day that passes.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Funny you should ask that, earlier today I was thinking about making some plans, at the moment I have done nothing but gather data. But since there will be at the *VERY LEAST* according to data several near misses in the close future, one by Comet Elenin, and then we got to worry about the spring 2012's asteroid. Even if they don't hit, I still think it's time for some essential changes to the world.

1. Remember Shoemaker/Lev? They didn't really know it would impact Jupiter until quite late, and when it did it was during the second pass, not first pass (due to the immense gravity during the first close encounter). Jupiter has a lot more mass though, but still these numbers keep popping up, it definately won't take forever until something does slam into Earth. Be prepared for it.

2. Judging from what we saw happened in New Orleans during "the post disaster scenario" experience and the amount of looting and rogue police officers, getting yourself armed should be a priority. Without armament you will probably either starve or be shot, you stand less chance at survival in the long run.

3. If nothing happens and you went through the bother of getting armed, well you can always serve in enforcing the rights of the people if a time of mass oppression arises. I point that out for no particular reason at all and have no clue what war that could be.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
i have made zero preparations. the only thing i am interested in doing is converting all my savings into gold or silver.

i recently watched the documentary collapse and i understand that things could go that way, but i dont want to ruin my happy life, now, worrying about it. i want to enjoy everything i have.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Who is NOT making Survival Preparations...and WHY?

Survive... what?

Yellowstone eruption?

Nuclear winter?

Nibiru/2012?

The antiChrist?

Global famine?

A global police state?

In each and all the above scenarios, whatever standard of living that remains would be, almost by definition, basic survival. And yes, understanding the the first human instinct is self preservation, the first thought that comes to mind is to be prepared to survive whatever comes.

But in the end, such a level of survival will be for those who are as lucky as they are well prepared because there won't be any way for us to stop the show, hop in the car and run to Walmart for batteries or candles or a generator... etc.

For me, personally, I have already begun my preparations by seeking the truth of human existence through God... whomever and whatever He/She may be. I have lived a full, rich life and done things that most people will ever only dream of so... if the choice is to survive in a world of decay and wretchedness, or die with a fresh memory of the last good day... I will opt for the latter.

best

edit on 16-4-2011 by redoubt because: typos

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Kid Cudi, my son spent 6 months in Phuket, Thailand and fought there (Muay Thai). There is no such thing as 3rd degree black belt in Muay Thai. I have been following your posts, because you remind me of someone I know. So far, you are a DEA agent, a cop, a college student, work for the border patrol, hinted at being a CIA agent,etc. Wow! Somehow, methinks you might be a "short story teller" in real life.

In the meantime, me and mine have been stockpiling food and water for about a year now. Even if it's not necessary, you can always eat the food and drink the water! Can't hurt, can it?

edit on 16-4-2011 by jdb51 because: toned it down

edit on 16-4-2011 by jdb51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I've been thinking for years that I really should prepare something, if only a few tins, but apathy and thoughts of "it'll never happen" kept me from making the effort.

Something changed, though, at the beginning of this year. Not sure what, there were a few things going on like mass bird and fish die offs, but nothing really that I can think caused it. But then I suddenly went on a mass spending spree in a week causing me to go overdrawn for the first time in years. And I've been topping up with stuff every week.

So now, 4 months later, I have in the corner of my room enough bottled water and tinned food for 2 months, a month's supply of Mountain House - even persuaded my 70 yr old Mum to buy some. There's a wind up radio, month's worth of tobacco, tent and camping supplies, colloidal silver and medicines, 18 toilet rolls, a giant bar of toblerone, first aid kits, water purifying tablets, zippos and gas, small cooking stove with colemans butane, and a bag of catnip for getting stoned - which doesn't actually get me stoned like it said on the internet, but at least I'll be able to look after any stray cats!

In addition I have started gardening vegetables, for which I had to buy slug pellets today.

But the peace of mind all this brings (which is not much as disaster still only seems to happens in far away places), has been diluted by new worries. The 3 other people I live with are doing nothing, so my 2-3 months' worth would end up lasting 2-3 weeks, I couldn't be stuffing myself upstairs while they starve. Also relatives up North would be on my mind, I would survive but be worried sick about how they are doing.

Then there's the uncertainty of what crisis if anything it would be - London is 50 miles away so fallout would make my veg patch redundant and life in general unliveable whether you survive or not. I live on the south coast of England so if that Canary Island volcano goes off, the tidal wave would wipe out my town. I live about 70 feet up on top of a hill, but I don't think that will be enough.

And in any other breakdown of society there will be looters and thugs targeting homes like mine, with no means of defence. I don't think a Swiss army knife will cut it, so should I bury all the tins in the back yard? Be prepared to load the boot and drive off somewhere when it happens? What if I'm away on holiday at the time and can't get back to my supplies. Should I take it all with me wherever I go?

But it's a fun hobby, I enjoy thinking about these puzzles, I enjoy gardening, I don't take it too seriously. And maybe I could make some kind of tea out of the catnip.

in the end I think the crucial factor will be where you happen to be and who you are with when SHTF. This is what will determine if you survive or not. Not how many tins you haved saved up.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by itaii
i have made zero preparations. the only thing i am interested in doing is converting all my savings into gold or silver.

i recently watched the documentary collapse and i understand that things could go that way, but i dont want to ruin my happy life, now, worrying about it. i want to enjoy everything i have.

I like the silver thing also but I still believe that things like coffee, cigarettes, chocolate, salt, sugar, medicines etc will be even more valuable for trade in this scenario.

Thanks for the post!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JupitersClock
I have not prepared anything for my family. I know I need to but I just do not have ANY extra money to do it. My husband does not "believe", and I do not speak of these things to my two daughters age 6 and 10. I like it that they still think all is well. I live literally paycheck to paycheck and there is not a dime left over 4-5 days before my next check. But inside me it is like a panic/anxiety storm is raging. I live with a tremendous amount of guilt around this, as I do feel like I desperately need to do something... NOW
I just have not figured out how to do this as of yet. With some very near possible end dates looming ... September, October, November... my anxiety spikes more with every day that passes.

The thing is, we don't truly know what or if anything will happen but I completely understand a feeling of helplessness and a need to at least do something...anything.

Maybe doing a little can alleviate some of this.

I mentioned before that people with little finances can do a lot with what is in their immediate area.

Around the house: knives, blankets, canned foods, raman noodles, salt, sugar, coffee, shoes, tools, socks, water bottles, a tent, sleeping bags, map, matches/lighters, flashlight, rain gear, and so much more that we have in our own houses.

Take a bit of everything that you don't use daily, put them in bags, backpacks, or whatever, and store them in ONE place. Easy to get to etc. If you have to leave NOW, it's there for you.

As you look around and start to think in this manner, more will come to mind. Look in ATS or elsewhere on the net for ideas on what items you might want to consider.

It may be a small thing but it could make all the difference. It will also allow you to at least do something proactive.

You will amazed at what you can put together. Guilty feeling....gone!

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by rosar098
I'm not simply because of monetary issues. At the moment, I can't make much cash, and have about $95 to my name. As soon as that problem is resolved, military surplus here I come!

Well one fast food tab for 2 10$ will buy a lot of rice. If you like rice and beans anyway you could buy it to use instead of things that are perisable and you will have extra.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

why didn't i think of that? you made a really good point.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by goeffy
reply to post by legalizeit

Ha great minds aye and I'd also like to add that after things calmed down a bit I would probably start to form some sort of community with people that wanted to help each other out there is strength in numbers and if they were smart they'd probably rather join up than try and run up on a group of people. See I'm not really sure how but I still have faith that there are more good people out there than you think they just never get the praise that they deserve.

You are right on the money here. What we can achieve in community exceeds what we can achieve as individuals. Most people have similar goals, dreams and aspirations and so it makes sense to pool the talent and work together to get what we want.

There is nothing better that you can do to survive whatever happens than to plan for how you would meet, communicate and work together.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jdb51

Yes there is such a thing as a 3rd degree in Muay Thai. Apollos karate. Run by Dale Apollo cook. Do your research and get your facts right. I never said I was a DEA agent. I work in law enforcement. Get your facts straight.

I'm sorry you have such a boring life and can't do all the things you want to. I have set my goals and completed most of them so far.

I didn't know it was illegal for someone to Do the things they enjoy in life.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jdb51

[[snip]]

And btw I am a college student. I'm working on my masters right now. I've already finished my bachelors and yes I know it makes you jealous that I have my degree and you don't but seriously give up on the personal attacks.

Stop sitting around and make something of yourself so you don't have to feel wortheless for the rest of your life

Mods can delete this post and fine me some points but I'm sick of the people like you that stalk ATS members and constantly talk # to them.

MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

edit on Sat Apr 16 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join