It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corrupt builders cause 83% calamity deaths worldwide

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Hmmm.

Or maybe it is colonization by the empire that installs oligarchies which steal their own people's resources forcing displacement into cities where these new slaves need cheap housing.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Does this mean only 17% of disaster deaths are "natural"? ...If 83% are caused by corrupt builders?

I'm thinking bridge collapses, and skywalks falling now. The title is a bit misleading because the text does say something about buildings collapsing in earthquakes.

I believe it. Anybody remember this one from a few weeks back?

Look Mao, No Earthquake needed!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0198ebcd0072.jpg[/atsimg]
Chinese Motorway Collapses

" Four lorry drivers are lucky to be alive today after they survived this road collapse. Their trucks plunged to the ground and overturned when an overpass ramp collapsed in Shangyu, in east China's Zhejiang Province, on Monday. The slip road fell 23 feet at about 3am in the morning, as the drivers switched from a local motorway to a national highway. "

Ha Ha when I read that I was thinking of our very own potential Nuclear disaster just waiting to happen which is sitting almost on top of not one but THREE fault lines.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0747fb30bf91.jpg[/atsimg]
Fukushima, Japan, at Diablo Canyon

Mother Nature proved it. No one had predicted the 9.0 magnitude earthquake, 10 times greater than geological estimates. The tsunami exceeded estimates as well. Could East meet West? Could we in California be looking in the mirror at a Japanese disaster serving as a premonition for what awaits us? Diablo (Devil’s) Canyon is also built near three fault systems. And like Fukushima, there is a calm before the storm....

Of course it's all about money, Greed. Who cares if we trash the environment. Or if a few thousand die. All that matters is the bottom line. $

Exactly what this thread is about!

I starred your post - Can't believe I forgot to respond!!! MY BAD.

and thanks much.

edit on 14/4/11 by soficrow because: tinkering

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

so those people union boys who are actually building the project don't have any brains and wouldn't notice any corners being cut that could result in failures in construction of that magnitude?

what are people just brainless idiots.

you are just blaming the business but there is more to that equation than just that.
edit on 14-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I am blaming the system - which obviously, clearly, undeniably DOES NOT WORK!

...I can only assume you blame immigrants and terrorists when you're not on about unions. Go ahead - work on your divide and conquer, turn 'em against one another strategy. But I don't buy it.

I know it's the flawed, failed system at fault - the Fed, banksters, international corporate law that demands profit be the number one priority over safety and all else.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

to understand the system you have to know who ALL the players are

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

to understand the system you have to know who ALL the players are

If you're saying we ALL have to take responsibility, I agree. That like military war criminals, we can't fall back on the "Just taking orders" defence, I agree. If you're saying we do indeed have the power, politically and collectively to change the system, I agree.

But there be concerted campaigns in the world right now to blame immigrants, "terrorists," unions and other little people for great big systemic problems - and it's all about keeping us at each others throats and off the rulers backs. That's what I can't tolerate.

edit on 14/4/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

so those people union boys who are actually building the project don't have any brains and wouldn't notice any corners being cut that could result in failures in construction of that magnitude?

what are people just brainless idiots.

you are just blaming the business but there is more to that equation than just that.

Its not the unions job to build safe buildings, its the construction companies responsibility and if the construction company fails then the people who got injured/killed have the right to sue that company for redemption.

Also I would assume state/local/federal authorities have the right to press criminal charges for negligence and/or manslaughter on them as well.

Of course we don't live in a perfect world but unions exist to look out for the workers rights including pay, safety issues, pension plans, insurance compensation, etc.

Don't expect me to give you perfect answers because I have no association with construction other than building a house and business of my own. Unions are not the problem, government colluding with big business is the problem!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

so if you were working for someone else and you knew he was cutting corners that would lead to someones death

you wouldnt out him? i would.

Of course we don't live in a perfect world but unions exist to look out for the workers rights including pay, safety issues, pension plans, insurance compensation, etc.

there is no argument there they only look out for themselves had the been looking out for other people construction failure might not have happened.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

good post! the only way i could see corruption is the builders wanted to use the land (due to how unvaluable/unsecure) to save a pretty penny. Otherwise, why else would you build a nuclear reactor there?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Who is cutting corners? Normally the workers do as the construction firm tells them to do while respecting the rules of the union. If the construction firm pushes the workers too hard its almost like telling them "don't worry just get the job done".

Your pretending like you just stepped off the boat from the soviet union to capitalist america and know nothing about how the system works. Workers don't rat on each other and almost all of the responsibility lies on the management.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

nope i know plenty how the system works

there is no I in a union there is only 1 the union first the union only.

yeah workers dont rat because if they want a job they keep their mouth shut.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

yeah workers dont rat because if they want a job they keep their mouth shut.

So the big contractors hold all the cards. And the workers need to eat. Old story.

...Anti-corporate government is not anti-business, btw.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

no the business is at the mercy of the union

unions have become a confederation so to speak they stick together

ever heard of the alfcio?

the very nature of a union is anti business

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Unions don't run the world. The global mega-corporations run the world - AND all the countries in the world AND the bloody unions too!

GOOD GRIEF!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

unions do run the world or havent you checked out government lately

tsa?
air traffic controllers
am track
teachers
fireman
nurses
construction
police
ems

and the list goes on.

the most critical of services that exist in this country are controlled at the whim of not getting enough days off or enough pay.

strike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the most powerful corporation that exists today which i hate the ever living hell out of is THE FEDERAL RESERVE there is no one else that holds the power they do unions are second in line.

people can die when they don't get their way

a little clarification i am not letting business get off scott free but i am not underestimating unions and other factors,
edit on 15-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

yes but it depends on which way you define corruption

Exactly... Because corruption isn't just greed, corruption can be seen anytime an ideal, such as safety, erodes due to external influences...

Stupidity is a form of corruption as well

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

But of course! It's the workers' corruption that destroyed our planet, NOT the greed and corruption of the ruling banksters, CEO's and political decision-makers. ...It's SO obvious - how could I have missed it! They have 98% of the wealth concentrated in 1% of the population, but workers' are 90% of the population! ...and so, far far more powerful!

[/sarcasm]

The headline stays:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Most of these statistics related to "calamity deaths" (as claimed in the article) come from countries that have virtually no government safety regulations of building codes, countries like Haiti or China. Countries that do have strict building codes, like the USA or Japan, do have much safer buildings in an earthquake, but even then there's not much you can do in a 9.0 earthquake or when the soil liquifies beneath a building or a massive tsunami wipes everything out. If this statistic was from a study it was poorly done or too vague. Besides 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

You also need to separate "builder" from workers. Trade unions like those here in the states do not design nor engineer buildings for safety, they strictly perform the work according to the architect's or engineer's prints and as approved by the building department.

From the title of the article I get the sense that "builders" was synonymous with "developer", the person/corporation/entity that owned (or leased) a property and put together the deal to develop it, hire the architects and engineers, push it through zoning and code approvals, until the project was completed then either sold it, rented it, or occupied it. THAT would be the "corrupt builder" who may have cut corners or didn't take appropriate measures to provide for adequate earthquake or fire safety.

Most "third world" countries are so far behind the developed nations when it comes to engineering safety systems and their developers have virtually no oversight, they can get away with just about anything. I've worked on a project in Brazil in which the construction workers were considered lower on the rungs of society than prison inmates. "Skilled labor" doesn't exist there and the builders/developers wouldn't pay for it if they had any.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Great post overall, thank you. S&

But - regarding the wonderful technology, codes and regs in developed nations, I need to mention collapsed bridges and malls in the USA and bring back Slayer's post:

Look Mao, No Earthquake needed!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0198ebcd0072.jpg[/atsimg]
Chinese Motorway Collapses

" Four lorry drivers are lucky to be alive today after they survived this road collapse. Their trucks plunged to the ground and overturned when an overpass ramp collapsed in Shangyu, in east China's Zhejiang Province, on Monday. The slip road fell 23 feet at about 3am in the morning, as the drivers switched from a local motorway to a national highway. "

But. When it comes to nuclear reactors sitting on top of earthquake fault lines, there is NO room for corruption or greed or human error. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Which is unfortunate because all big business, including the nuclear industry, runs on greed and on the backs of overworked underpaid humans who tend to err.

Ha Ha when I read that I was thinking of our very own potential Nuclear disaster just waiting to happen which is sitting almost on top of not one but THREE fault lines.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0747fb30bf91.jpg[/atsimg]
Fukushima, Japan, at Diablo Canyon

Mother Nature proved it. No one had predicted the 9.0 magnitude earthquake, 10 times greater than geological estimates. The tsunami exceeded estimates as well. Could East meet West? Could we in California be looking in the mirror at a Japanese disaster serving as a premonition for what awaits us? Diablo (Devil’s) Canyon is also built near three fault systems. And like Fukushima, there is a calm before the storm....

Of course it's all about money, Greed. Who cares if we trash the environment. Or if a few thousand die. All that matters is the bottom line. $

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

reply to post by HunkaHunka

But of course! It's the workers' corruption that destroyed our planet, NOT the greed and corruption of the ruling banksters, CEO's and political decision-makers. ...It's SO obvious - how could I have missed it! They have 98% of the wealth concentrated in 1% of the population, but workers' are 90% of the population! ...and so, far far more powerful!

[/sarcasm]

ironically... it is the masses who are corrupted... only a mentally corrupt citizenry can allow themselves to be governed by corruption.
edit on 15-4-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join