It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corrupt builders cause 83% calamity deaths worldwide

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

timesofindia.indiat imes.com

Corrupt practices by builders, not just in India but across the world has resulted in 83 per cent of deaths in disasters like earthquakes because of building collapses. Vice chairman National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) M Shashidhar Reddy said while inaugurating a three day international conference on "Post Earthquake Reconstruction: Lessons Learnt and Way forward,"...

Chief minister Narendra Modi ...said all segments of society needed to be trained as far as disasters were concerned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ibnlive.in.com
www.washingtonpost.com
online.wsj.com

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Does this mean only 17% of disaster deaths are "natural"? ...If 83% are caused by corrupt builders?

I'm thinking bridge collapses, and skywalks falling now. The title is a bit misleading because the text does say something about buildings collapsing in earthquakes. And who knows? Maybe 9/11 was orchestrated to cover up corrupt building practices and the towers' imminent collapse. ...We'll never know.

But. When it comes to nuclear reactors sitting on top of earthquake fault lines, there is NO room for corruption or greed or human error. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Which is unfortunate because all big business, including the nuclear industry, runs on greed and on the backs of overworked underpaid humans who tend to err.

timesofindia.indiat imes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

if a nuclear reactor is sitting on a fault line that is sheer stupidity.

that is asking for disaster
edit on 14-4-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Does this mean only 17% of disaster deaths are "natural"? ...If 83% are caused by corrupt builders?

I'm thinking bridge collapses, and skywalks falling now. The title is a bit misleading because the text does say something about buildings collapsing in earthquakes.

I believe it. Anybody remember this one from a few weeks back?

Look Mao, No Earthquake needed!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0198ebcd0072.jpg[/atsimg]
Chinese Motorway Collapses

" Four lorry drivers are lucky to be alive today after they survived this road collapse. Their trucks plunged to the ground and overturned when an overpass ramp collapsed in Shangyu, in east China's Zhejiang Province, on Monday. The slip road fell 23 feet at about 3am in the morning, as the drivers switched from a local motorway to a national highway. "

But. When it comes to nuclear reactors sitting on top of earthquake fault lines, there is NO room for corruption or greed or human error. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Which is unfortunate because all big business, including the nuclear industry, runs on greed and on the backs of overworked underpaid humans who tend to err.

Ha Ha when I read that I was thinking of our very own potential Nuclear disaster just waiting to happen which is sitting almost on top of not one but THREE fault lines.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0747fb30bf91.jpg[/atsimg]
Fukushima, Japan, at Diablo Canyon

Mother Nature proved it. No one had predicted the 9.0 magnitude earthquake, 10 times greater than geological estimates. The tsunami exceeded estimates as well. Could East meet West? Could we in California be looking in the mirror at a Japanese disaster serving as a premonition for what awaits us? Diablo (Devil’s) Canyon is also built near three fault systems. And like Fukushima, there is a calm before the storm....

Of course it's all about money, Greed. Who cares if we trash the environment. Or if a few thousand die. All that matters is the bottom line. $

edit on 14-4-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

if a nuclear reactor is sitting on a fault line that is sheer stupidity.

that is asking for disaster

I agree.

Do you think such "stupidity" is evidence of corruption?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

yes but it depends on which way you define corruption

from the state giving sweetheart deals to unions or the builder who competively under bids just so they can get a job.

look up bostons big dig and see the stupidity of corruption or more to the point the corruption of stupidity

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

on the news last nite they had those people from that plant running drills

they said they run drills 3-5 times a year and fukushima has given them "new motivation"

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

yes but it depends on which way you define corruption

Macmillan works for me:

corruption:

dishonest or illegal behavior by officials or people in positions of power, especially when they accept money in exchange for doing things for someone
The bank was closed down amid allegations of corruption and fraud.
the arrest of a number of officials on corruption charges

Tell me, please. Why would anyone anywhere build nuclear reactors on fault lines? ...I honestly think nobody could be that stupid, so there had to be some major payoffs going down.

And forget blaming the unions - they get the crumbs, after the big guys take their end.

edit on 14/4/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I went to High school near there before it went operational. Supposedly if anything were to happen the school board estimated that we would have about 30 to 40 minutes in which to evacuate the area. We were told we would have to wait for school buses to evacuate us. Imagine "School" buses
trying to get to the High school, load up and then drive at 70 to 80 MPH [Which is what they estimated would be required to leave the area in time] going up a long grade out of town and up and over the surrounding hills for some sort of cover

School Buses doing 70 or 80 MPH UPHILL full of kids!

edit on 14-4-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

your definition is the most accurate one there is not one inftrastructure project that has been built in this country

that some elite wanted.

its never been about the right place its always been about the most influential generating income for those people they want.

government kick backs on the local state and federal levels.

i mentioned unions because of their involvement that doubles and triples and quadruples any given projects price.

and when it comes to any road or any airport or any nuclear reactor union built.

just say feel free to dismiss unions tho.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It is quite appaling. I worked in construction (insulation) for 3 months while 19 (am still 19) and it was just discouraging to see how many shortcuts are taken in the whole of the construction industry, which is why I no longer work in it. Anything to save the company a back. As long as they get the most money they can, safety doesn't matter. It is ridiculous and it's why the world is like it is today. Incompetence and the greed.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

its always been about the most influential generating income for those people they want. ...government kick backs on the local state and federal levels.

i mentioned unions because of their involvement that doubles and triples and quadruples any given projects price.

and when it comes to any road or any airport or any nuclear reactor union built.

Hmmm.

...Do you really think it would be better if the guys building these things were overworked, underpaid and hungry too?

The system itself is based on greed - and profit before everything, including safety. So why focus on the little guys who's contracts protect their safety, give them a living wage, restrict overtime and make sure they're paid for the overtime they do work?

The system doesn't work. The legal priorities are profit before everything, including safety. That's what's wrong. Not the fact that the little guys can afford tuna instead of peanut butter sandwiches in their lunch buckets.

edit on 14/4/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

..Do you really think it would be better if the guys building these things were overworked, underpaid and hungry too?

did any of that stop the big dig ceiling collapse or any other engineering project from failure yup did have to work that much got paid bank and had a full stomach.

but really now since when has any union worker ever been overworked ,underpaid or ever went hungry on a government contract.

The system itself is based on greed

a failure to see is not soley based on one side.

the system doesn't work priorities do come before anything else but agian don't look at this from one perspective.

and again tuna and peanut butter sandwiches? do you even know any union members?

hello? ex union member here i know what i am talking about...

however you free to just hate on all those greedy profiters but then agian no profit no jobs.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

you free to just hate on all those greedy profiters but then agian no profit no jobs.

...and you want to shift the blame onto the unions? Get real.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

cant be any more real than spending a decade of my life in a union

I EARNED my RIGHT on them. understand that I EARNED IT

but i am moving on anyway

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

We have a global corporate government that exists on corruption - from cutting sleazy trade deals to mortgage nations through the IMF, to using mercenaries to commit genocide for corporate colonization - and they build nuclear reactors on fault lines and malls that fall on our heads.

The problem is with the guys running the system, at the top - not the little guys getting squeezed at the bottom.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

your definition is the most accurate one there is not one inftrastructure project that has been built in this country

that some elite wanted.

Its never been about the right place its always been about the most influential generating income for those people they want.

government kick backs on the local state and federal levels.

When you have a corporate republic then obviously you will have phoney competition bids and lots of kickbacks between the construction firms and government. Big business and government sleep in the same bed within a capitalist system.

Why do you state blatant lies about "double, triple and quadrople" the costs? Seriously if it wasn't for the unions then workers would have no protection from accidents and scrapping a living with minimum wages-for the hard work they do that is an insult!

You go break your back and see if you like it, then come back and apologise!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

LIES? LIES? have you never heard of the boston big dig project?

whatever.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Thanks OP for bringing this to our attention and thanks Slayer for telling us about Diablo Canyon.

I wonder what percentage is stupidity and what percentage is malice.............

As far as I can tell there are 2 nuclear reactors in southern california near the san andreas fault and a host of nuclear reactors near the new madrid fault line.

Its not just earthquakes we need to worry about on the west coast, its also the possibility of localised tsunamis impacting them and causing a variety of problems. Did the planners have a high school education or a middle school education comes to mind? When I hear engineers state they are "earthquake proof" up to 7-8 richter their arrogance truely amazes me............

Nuclear reactors are not homes where 5-10 people die so naturally they should consider them as potential ATOMIC BOMBS and take the absolute minimum of risks. Our govermnent is criminal because they are supposed to be overseeing everything but they keep looking the ooooooooootttttthher way........:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

reply to post by EarthCitizen07

...have you never heard of the boston big dig project?

So Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff screwed up and paid only $407 million in restitution for its poor oversight that caused at least one death, and for running costs up to $22 billion from an original bid of $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$6.0 billion adjusted for inflation) - but they still get to bid on government contracts.

And blame the unions for all their problems.
:

And you buy it and think we should too. lol

The Big Dig was the most expensive highway project in the U.S.[2] Although the project was estimated in 1985 at $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$6.0 billion adjusted for inflation as of 2006),[3] over $14.6 billion ($8.08 billion in 1982 dollars)[3] had been spent in federal and state tax dollars as of 2006.[4] A July 17, 2008 article in The Boston Globe stated, "In all, the project will cost an additional $7 billion in interest, bringing the total to a staggering $22 billion, according to a Globe review of hundreds of pages of state documents. It will not be paid off until 2038."[5] At the beginning of the project, Congressman Barney Frank joked, "Wouldn't it be cheaper to raise the city than depress the artery?"[6] The project has incurred criminal arrests,[7][8] escalating costs, death, leaks, and charges of poor execution and use of substandard materials. Former Massachusetts Attorney General Thomas Reilly demanded that contractors refund taxpayers $108 million for "shoddy work".[9] On January 23, 2008, it was reported that Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff, the consortium that oversaw the project, would pay $407 million in restitution for its poor oversight of subcontractors (some of whom committed outright fraud), as well as primary responsibility in the death of a motorist. However, despite admitting to poor oversight and negligence as part of the settlement,[10] the firm is not barred from bidding for future government contracts. Several smaller companies agreed to pay a combined sum of approximately $51 million.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join