It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gigantic New SuperOrganism with 'Social Intelligence' is Devouring the Titanic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

I guess.
We would have a lot to draw though, judging by the state of the world it would be T&A and money though.

That's a cool topic though and someone should start a thread about it.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Reply to post by predator0187

That was very interesting.

Although I must say that I read "super orgasm," and had to do a double take.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Originally posted by soficrow
OOopps.

The above post / sentence doesn't read right. Should say individuals of the human species are considered super-organisms.

(Too late to edit.)

I think that the whole human race is a super organism, as well as certain individuals are making up components of the super organism.. It is hard for us to see that as we are involved and not looking "in" on it, but, yes I completely agree.

I think that about everything though, I think the earth is an organism, making up a bigger organism that is the solar system, making up a bigger organism that is the galaxy.... Really, where does it end?

Pred...

Ahhh. Yes.

Or should I say oohhhhhmmmm?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
This is pretty freakin cool.

Another example of how nature can incorporate and overcome anything we can throw at it.

Oh and i had to look this up.

Wikipedia

Quorum sensing-
is a type of decision-making process used by decentralized groups to coordinate behavior. Many species of bacteria use quorum sensing to coordinate their gene expression according to the local density of their population. In similar fashion, some social insects use quorum sensing to make collective decisions about where to nest. In addition to its function in biological systems, quorum sensing has several useful applications for computing and robotics.

oh you mean like that iceberg that sank the ship in the first place?

i hope this thing makes the titanic dissapear, the titanic is the most mind numbingly boring topic i can think of, i don't know why people are so obsessed with it.

using the organism to devour plastic is a good idea--if we also stop producing plastic completely. then agian if you tweak an organism to act like that, stopping plastic production will stop scientists from making money off the organism.

sigh~~~

fudge the titanic.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

It doesn't appear that these life-forms are acting any "smarter" than any other reef-like ocean life. In fact, I can't find a single reason why the word "intelligent" would have been brought up in regards to this topic. They even made this clear in the article. The Titanic has been sitting on the bottom of the ocean for close to a century. Obviously it's going to be covered with many different types of oceanic life. The fact that one part is rusting/decaying faster than another part has absolutely nothing to do with "intelligent" life forms. It's simple biology, and everything occurring has previously been seen. So what's the big deal? Are you reaching, or just misunderstood? Because "social intelligence," this is not.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Strype

It doesn't appear that these life-forms are acting any "smarter" than any other reef-like ocean life. In fact, I can't find a single reason why the word "intelligent" would have been brought up in regards to this topic. They even made this clear in the article. The Titanic has been sitting on the bottom of the ocean for close to a century. Obviously it's going to be covered with many different types of oceanic life. The fact that one part is rusting/decaying faster than another part has absolutely nothing to do with "intelligent" life forms. It's simple biology, and everything occurring has previously been seen. So what's the big deal? Are you reaching, or just misunderstood? Because "social intelligence," this is not.

Cheers,
Strype

You do realize that I just took the title from the article as it was, do you not?

Intelligence is a hard word to wrap our heads around, although we think that we have the idea understood, it is in muddy waters like the word consciousness.

There is intelligence in this article, and I quoted it, that's all...

Pred...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Did I go to far and make myself sound crazy?

Sometimes I do that when I start talking metaphysics.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

nano bots? Just a thought really

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

It would certainly be interesting if these same microbes / extromophiles could be created or altered to scrub radioactive waste , changing the molecular structure of the radio isotopes into a structure less radioactive reducing its half life repeatedly

that would be amazing , we would have a solution to our radioactive folly!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
This bacteria is called Synthia or Blue Plague and was geoengeneered by some company for BP. (BeePeeOlidisaster has tons of videos on his youtube channel about this.)

About Synthia: inventorspot.com...

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

It doesn't surprise me that the Titanic is being eaten. What does surprise me is the complexity and the intelligence of the organism that is eating it. Pretty cool.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

There is no such thing as "primitive" life, we are all as evolved as one another, we are all here and our gene pools are obviously doing something right. No life should be considered insignificant.

Indeed. If anything, Humans are the inferior forms of life on this planet. Whereas every other lifeform relies on itself without harming the planet, Humans in general rely off of technology to survive, and kill the planet in the process, usually.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Humans believe that other creatures don't share intelligence because the Religious Leaders and a group of "tptb"'s lacky scientists throughout the centuries have insisted on this and ridiculed other scientists and the few studies that showed animals with emotions, altruism, etc. This is private interests, not "humanity" as so often touted. The acts of the evil ruling class and currently the Corps are always put out by this very same group as anti human propaganda.

When Elephants Weep,is an excellent book that depicts exactly what I just wrote and the few studies that rarely get funded because the Top of the pyramid didn't want humanity to believe animals could feel even.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
OOopps.

The above post / sentence doesn't read right. Should say individuals of the human species are considered super-organisms.

(Too late to edit.)

I think that the whole human race is a super organism, as well as certain individuals are making up components of the super organism.. It is hard for us to see that as we are involved and not looking "in" on it, but, yes I completely agree.

I think that about everything though, I think the earth is an organism, making up a bigger organism that is the solar system, making up a bigger organism that is the galaxy.... Really, where does it end?

Pred...

Yeah i started thinking the ssame some time ago, WHAT IF we are living "inside" something bigger.

Protons and atoms resemble a miniature solar sytem afterall with 2 bodies orbiting eachother for eternity.

"What if" our sun and planets are just the "protons and atoms" of something else?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sapien82
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

It would certainly be interesting if these same microbes / extromophiles could be created or altered to scrub radioactive waste , changing the molecular structure of the radio isotopes into a structure less radioactive reducing its half life repeatedly

that would be amazing , we would have a solution to our radioactive folly!
Cullimore confirmed that these microbes could be used to recycle nuclear waste but not to devour it completely. The catch is the microbes would become themselves a new highly radioactive lifeform. If they should ever become air-borned, you can say farewell to the lifeforms on this planet.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

reply to post by soficrow

Did I go to far and make myself sound crazy?

Sometimes I do that when I start talking metaphysics.

Pred...

Not to me. I think you nailed it:

...the earth is an organism, making up a bigger organism that is the solar system, making up a bigger organism that is the galaxy.... Really, where does it end?

...Bend it like Schrodinger. Works for me.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Maybe these fungi eat radioactive material to catch a buzz. Every species has their junkies.

Hmm.. people get high from eating mushrooms... mushrooms get high from eating radioactivity. Holy Hell... DON'T EAT MUSHROOMS!!

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Amazing. This just goes to show that life is a lot more complicated that we give it credit for.

It kind of reminds me of an old joke. Monkeys in a tree look at whales and think "what a bunch of idiots. all they do is swim.", while the whales at the monkeys and think "what a bunch of idiots. all they do is climb in trees." It's all about perspective

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tharsis

If I built a time machine and accidentally went a trillion years into the future, I think it's safe to say there'd be a 50/50 chance of either being completely surrounded by cyborgs and flying saucers as there would be of nature taking over and everyone living in caves. Makes you wonder... Whenever something ends something else begins and vice versa.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join