It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Increasingly Peeping at E-Mail, Instant Messages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thinking about bragging about your exploits on your facebook or Twitter page? better think twice! Seems big blue brother is checking you out. As well as snooping around. But we can't place all of the blame on the law, they are given access by those who control these social sites by passing laws given them complete reporting, so you need to think before you post. As is the case on the internet. Nothing is "free" or sacred any longer.

Law enforcement organizations are making tens of thousands of requests for private electronic information from companies such as Sprint, Facebook and AOL, but few detailed statistics are available, according to a privacy researcher.

Police and other agencies have “enthusiastically embraced” asking for e-mail, instant messages and mobile-phone location data, but there’s no U.S. federal law that requires the reporting of requests for stored communications data, wrote Christopher Soghoian, a doctoral candidate at the School of Informatics and Computing at Indiana University, in a newly published paper.

“Unfortunately, there are no reporting requirements for the modern surveillance methods that make up the majority of law enforcement requests to service providers and telephone companies,” Soghoian wrote. “As such, this surveillance largely occurs off the books, with no way for Congress or the general public to know the true scale of such activities.”

Mac World
edit on 4/14/2011 by Humint1 because: correct spelling mistake

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Eventually someone will dismantle the Nazi state we're turning into - but let's not forget this is nothing new, Echelon has been alive and well for over 30 years. They're just more open about it now, which is the scariest part. They've conditioned the people.
edit on 15-4-2011 by againuntodust because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
They shouldn't have the right to go through our information, but to be safe i wouldn't go uploading pictures of myself holding a gun or anything that may get be arrested/questioned.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

They've conditioned the people.

You said the truth there for sure

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Sms has the potential to be a sinister way to compile information on the unaware populace.Think about it for a second.Those tiny little messages are far easier to intercept, manage and store in a database due to their size and ease of access.I am not crying conspiracy but it makes sense.I have never heard of any warrants to tap a text.Correct me if i'm wrong, but maybe they don't need one?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I guess this isn't a big concern as many claim. Seems those who say they are "concerned" about their privacy really weren't.

Unsubscribed.

new topics

top topics

join