It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Status of Nuclear Weapons States and Their Nuclear Capabilities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Very interesting

www.fas.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
dont mess with russia.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Never realized how many nukes Russia had. Kinda scary.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CountDrac

I love FAS.org. Great information site.

Ya, the Russkies have a large stockpile. Makes you wonder if they are properly tracked and secured. It would suck if one got sold on the Black Market. Of course, with other countries like North Korea and soon to be Iran, we may find nukes on the Black Market.

BTW, just be happy Russia didn't get to fully deploy FOBS (Fractional Orbital Bombardment System). It would've been devastating if hotter heads within Russian leaders decided to use FOBS as a first strike weapon. Luckily, today, US has the technology along with Russia's hypersonic torpedoes.

Wiki : FOBS

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by guppy

but i never thought they have so much more then the US.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Most of those are tactical nukes. Something that the old START doesn’t even touch. They can only have 6000 strategic nukes based on the old START requirements.

And, you know what? The new START treaty that big O signed doesn’t touch tactical nukes either. That is one bargaining chip that Russia kept off the table..... AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

So the bit O signed away a good portion of the armaments that we had an advantage in, while letting the Russians keep their weapons they have an advantage in, without a word in edgewise.

And don’t let the “operational”/"not operational" bit fool you. All "operational" means is that they are affixed to the top of a rocket or missile and ready to fly at a push of a button. Most of the ones that are not “operational” can be stuck on the end of a cruse missile in less than an hour and be ready to go “BOOM!”

There is a few of the “non operational” ones that are getting enough age on them that they can’t detonate because the core material has degraded too much, but they are not the majority.

I think it is high time we build out our tactical capability too, don’t ya think?

edit on 14-4-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

you're all looking at a very old version of that data, from 2008.

This is the most updated version: www.fas.org...

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by banem

Numbers may not add up due to rounding and uncertainty about the operational status of the four lesser nuclear weapons states and the uncertainty about the size of the total inventories of three of the five initial nuclear powers.

Reassuringly scary.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
dont mess with russia.

This.

haha no, but I don't know about them having more than the united States. As much as I hate this country, I don't think we would let someone get the upper hand on us. We probably have more, just not 'publicly'

Just IMO

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by banem

Russia's estimated total inventory of 5,390 nonstrategic warheads, down from 15,000 in 1991, is declared to be in central storage.

Remember that there is no law requiring them to verify anything. This is just their word at face value.

That is not even getting into what the exact definition of “central storage” is anyway.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
you mentioned NK , just thought to put a link i about thier Nuclear Weapons Program

www.ncnk.org...

claiming they have enough for 5 to 8 nuclear weapons of 6 kg of
plutonium each.

its from January 2011.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

No worries, CountDrac. Most of their arsenal, like the rest of their military, is rusting and unkempt. Without the necessary resources, Russia can not afford to maintain all of their military assets in working condition -- from tanks to nukes.

Biggest worry is when some Russian official thinks its a good idea to make money by selling such assets on the black market or to the highest bidder. Lets just hope if this does happen, the Russian sells a rusted, old bomb that is inoperable.

Of course, you never know how much of those numbers are made up. It might be a ploy to scare Russia's enemies. Just like they did in the past. Back during the Cold War, Russia made a number of propaganda movies showing how large and well-armed military they have. It wasn't till much later that US found out most of the assets on display were fake.

This video forgery had another related story. When Gorbachev visited Los Angeles, CA, back in the late 80s, he was astonished by how many cars were in the freeway. Gorbachev stated he and many others believed pictures of Los Angeles gridlock traffic was a propaganda photo, like they did with their military. Russians figured US gathered all of the cars in the country to take that photo.

Shows the difference in lifestyle between capitalism and communism.

new topics

top topics

join