It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Confirms Solar Cycle 24 has begun......Finally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Just stumbled upon this from Nasa via Spaceweather.

The article declares we are finally in solar cycle 24, in the wake of 2 X- class flares in recent months, amongst other activity.

"That was the fastest coronal mass ejection in almost six years," says Angelos Vourlidas of the Naval Research Lab in Washington DC. "It reminds me of a similar series of events back in Nov. 1997 that kicked off Solar Cycle 23, the solar cycle before this one."

"To me," says Vourlidas, "this marks the beginning of Solar Cycle 24."

For me personally I am very excited to see what this cycle will throw up, as its only in the last year that I have become interested in our sun.

Here is the link to the article.......science.nasa.gov...

Perhaps if there is a link between solar activity and some of the seismic events which occur, then maybe this cycle will give us the insight, and confirm or deny a correlation.

Be interested what poeple think about this, and what they think cycle 24 could bring

MODS: I still haven't the hang of where to post stuff, and noticed some of my other threads were moved, so if in the wrong place, please feel free to move it

edit on 14-4-2011 by solargeddon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Well...it's pretty easy to determine wether solar cycles have an impact on seismic activity...just look at former solar cycles and if the seismic activity increased during every cycle...
edit on 14-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dude69

Yeah thats true, don't think I'm firing on all cylinders tonight lol

Will definately try to look into it, I know we had activity on the 9th March, and the Japan earthquake happend on the 11th, which obviously isn't an indicator of anything, will defo combe USGS archives when my brain wakes up lol .

I have a feeling It will keep me out of trouble for a while

EDIT:

Think this explains why going back and researching the archives is going to be a bit of a non starter, hence why maybe I'm not quite so stupid as to suggest this cycle would be a good place to start

new topics

join