It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever wondered why out elites seem so dim?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If you have ever wondered why our leaders have failed us so miserably, look no further than the institutions they came of age in to understand why.

US History as Taught at Bowden

“There are any number of courses that deal with some group aspect of America, but virtually none that deals with America as a whole. For example, there is African-American history from 1619 to 1865 and from 1865 to the present, but there is no comparable sequence on America. Every course is social or cultural history that looks at the world through the prism of race, class, and gender. Even a course on the environment (offered in the history department) “examines the links between ecology and race, class, and gender.” Do Bowdoin alumni know their alma mater offers not one history course in American political, military, diplomatic, constitutional, or intellectual history, and nothing at all on the American Founding or the Constitution; that the one Civil War course is essentially African-American history (it is offered also in Africana Studies); and that there are more courses on gay and lesbian subjects than on American history? Is it possible this is one reason why some conservatives are disinclined to send their children to Bowdoin? Mr. (Barry) Mills (president of Bowdoin) did not inquire."

--- Thomas D. Klingenstein,

Excerpt from “A Golf Story,” Claremont Review of Books,
Winter/Spring 2010-2011

Nearly 25 years after Allan Bloom and Saul Bellow wrote “Closing of The American Mind” academia is still in mired in a postmodern nihilistic funk. The result is a generations of students who have become “spiritually detumescent”, to borrow a phrase from Bloom and Bellow becoming less educated and possessing fewer intellectual tools then when they began their academic journeys. Once upon a time going to college meant you read the giants of our collective history: Cicero, Plato, Aristotle, Shakespeare, Dante, Hobbes, Locke, and Jefferson. You understood the values and philosophies that made our culture as dynamic as it was and understood how to defend them when threatened and improve upon them with your own experiences.

Americans regurgitate Jefferson but no longer understand him on any meaningful level. Equality in opportunity and human liberty have become bumper stickers and most of us could not explain why these ideals are any better than alternatives. Civilizations decay and die for a number of reasons but the fatal wound is usually self inflicted long before the end. A society that has lost its ability to defend itself on a philosophical level forgets what has made it unique and worthwhile and loses its vibrancy.

Institutions like Bowden College, ranked 6th in the nation among liberal art colleges, are exactly the kinds of institutions that used to produce citizens capable of this kind of deep though that kept our society and civilization thriving. Simply put, they no longer do so and have created several successive generations of pedigreed and credentialed zombies.

If you ever wondered why so many of our societies elites seem so vapid and dull look no further than institutions Bowden College that have substituted a the richness of our cultures collective wisdom for identity politics and a loathing for our traditional values and culture.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

i never thought that they were smart to begin with

how smart is it to spend $100k on an education and still come out stupid.

i lost all faith in the educational system in america in 1970

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is why I have issues sending my kids to college. Do not get me wrong, I believe in education and that it is important. However, I have severe problems with sending my kids to learn from the very same people that have destroyed this country. I want my kids to actually learn meaningful and useful things, not educating them on how to continue to drive this country into the dirt.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Who cares hom much it costs when Mommy and Daddy are flipping the bill.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

There are still some really good schools out there, just be sure to check them out yourself before signing that admissions slip. Sit in on some classes and talks with some professors.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

there are alot of people such as myself who paid our own ways through school.

and mommy and daddy didnt have anything to do with it.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Once you have tricked someone into believing themselves to be knowlegable, smart , moral and educated - (and made them pay a fortune forit in the process) - but in reality have simply politicised their entire worldview. Then they are hoplessly invested and will never find their way out - especially when their whole carreer prospects depend on them buying into the con trick.

That is why the the likes of the Jesuits, fabians, marxists sought control of education as their first priority.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I certainly didn’t mean that as a knock against you, I also self financed a state school degree with no loans, but most people who go to the top tier universities and colleges come from families with deep enough pockets to write that big check with little regard for where the money comes from.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

didn't take it as one so were good.

that issue is rather moot now considering the government finances the majority of education loans these days.

top topics

join