It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CA Senate bill mandates gay history in schools

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

If it is a required course, obviously it will be taking time away from others.

You must have ignored my post on page 2 where I said this:

Personally I have absolutely no problem with gays, and even support the idea of them getting married. That being said, teaching gay history because a gay state senator thinks it's a good idea is pure idiocy.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

ENOUGH!!!!!

Further disruptions in this thread can and will result in post removals and temporary POST BANS.
Post on topic.
Vulgarity will NOT be tolerated.

MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

If it is a required course, obviously it will be taking time away from others.

So all history classes should be done away with to make room for hard sciences? Or only specific aspects of history that you have decided are frivolous?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

ENOUGH!!!!!

Glad you showed up... Thank you for keeping the peace here (I'm being sincere)

On topic...

Ok I don't personally agree with the gay lifestyle... but I do not want to hurt anyone's feelings...

As a matter of fact... turns out all my friends from high school were gay... and i've spent my fair share of bar hopping with lesbians (truth)

So i've been around more gay people than I can shake a stick at...
I actually had a really super gay friend who used to buy me beer whenever all my friends would go out to the local bars... no he wasnt interested... I'm fat haha he was a Kool Kat... he knew I was poor and wanted to drink...

(for the record not all Gay people like bars)

So... my opinion is not meant to hurt anyone...
If your gay good for you
if your strait, good for you
I don't really care...

But this bill is ridiculous...

After my time in the american school system... I have the grammar skills of a foreigner that just picked up English yesterday...

I can do basic math problems... if I have a calculator...

I was failed... We need to step back and look at our kids education and spend time on the subjects that really matter... but "they" don't care...
thats why they rigged all my "end of the year" tests... when I got my results back... I did above average in math and English... haha yeah right... that wasnt right...

I noticed someone else mentions what a waste algebra was... I can vouch only for myself... but i failed pre-algebra more times than I could shake a stick at...

until my last year of high school... I had a really awesome teacher sit down with me and actually help me...

but if i had such a hard time in high school and needed far more help than what was being offered... how would offering more courses help me? it wouldnt!!
It would have only took away from me...

And sports... don't get me started... I know many many athletes who can't write their own name... but yet they passed with a 4.0...

so I actually quit school and dropped out... and a few years later, I got my GED... actually did great on it
passed it by studying and making up my own curriculum...

So what I am saying is... our school systems are crooked and flawed as it is currently...
we don't need to jumbled it up with anymore useless courses... no matter what they are...

We need to make sure our kids have the best future... to do so... start by tackling the education system...

Now i hope I didnt offend anyone, It was not my goal... I never want to say anything that would hurt anyone... I try to each and everyday become a better person and learn all that I can so I may be a good person...

...i'll add one final thing... I really hope Gay people get equal rights... maybe then I won't get held up or detoured by another Gay Parade!!!

-Peace and Safety

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

History classes focusing on any particular group, whether it be white, black, gay, 3 legged midgets, etc etc should all be done away with.

History can be taught perfectly without the need for additional classes for certain groups.

This is nothing more than a gay state senator who wants his lifestyle the focus of a class.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Ok....... Gay history huh? I guess we should include teaching the history of bestiality, pedophilia, necrophilia and lets not stop there, we should also teach why fuzzy handcuffs are sold, why there are holes in stalls at adult movie theaters and why they sell motorized "equipment" at your local lovers lane........

Seriously, being gay is nothing but a sexual preference and sexual preference does not have a specific history. People across the world have choose to have sex one way or the other since the dawn of time and regardless there choice or preference, Id just assume the school back off about what I want my children to learn about sex.

Unless the whole of the gay community is claiming there own race all of a sudden or there is something I am missing, sexual choice and or deviance isn't something meant to be taught in public schools.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

No, history classes should be filled with relevant history that is acceptable for children to learn, not history about a persons sexual preference and whether or not they like to have sex with men or women, cause guess what, once it is history, it means your dead and when your dead, whether you liked penis or vagina is irrelevant, only your actions concerning your impact of society matter.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

History classes focusing on any particular group, whether it be white, black, gay, 3 legged midgets, etc etc should all be done away with.

How do you teach History without focusing on specific groups?

This is nothing more than a gay state senator who wants his lifestyle the focus of a class.

No, from the article you linked to:

But starting in the 2013-14 school year, it would prohibit districts and the California Board of Education from using textbooks or other instructional materials that reflect adversely on gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.

there is nothing about this, even in the article you link in the OP news.yahoo.com... that even implies this is about making gays the 'focus'. It merely says that the schools ill integrate that aspect of history into the broader 'History' course.

This doesnt take away from other subjects, as you claim, nor is this a separate 'gay history' class as you imply. IT would appear you are hell bent on making this into soemthing that it isn't, which is a typical divide and conquer, pandering to social-conservative tactic.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

No, history classes should be filled with relevant history that is acceptable for children to learn, not history about a persons sexual preference and whether or not they like to have sex with men or women, cause guess what, once it is history, it means your dead and when your dead, whether you liked penis or vagina is irrelevant, only your actions concerning your impact of society matter.

LOL. Did you eve read the article? This isnt a history of gay sex. It requires schools to use textbooks that dont denigrate and otherwise badmouth "gay, bisexual and transgender Americans."

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Ok....... Gay history huh? I guess we should include teaching the history of bestiality, pedophilia, necrophilia and lets not stop there, we should also teach why fuzzy handcuffs are sold, why there are holes in stalls at adult movie theaters and why they sell motorized "equipment" at your local lovers lane........

Wow. Thank you for so clearly illustrating the bigotry this law is specifically targeting from those who have a knee-jerk reaction against homosexuals

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot

In other words: DON'T PUSH GAY ON OUR CHILDREN!

On a lighter note, and sorry to break off topic, how in the heck do I post a new thread?
I can't seem to find a link anywhere.
edit on 14-4-2011 by SnakeShot because: (no reason given)

Snake shot, just go to the bottom of the page and it'll say new thread, click it and start typin like a mad banshee!
edit on 14-4-2011 by agentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Yeah, I did, there is NO discrimination as it is! This assumption that gay people have any special rights or privileges just because they are gay is absurd. Here is an idea, don't openly display what you like sexually and you won't be treated any different, I don't understand why gay people should be any different than straight people, we are all the same!!!!!

I'm straight, nobody wants to hear what I like to do behind closed doors with my girlfriend. Nobody would like if I subtly implied it all the time, why do they care what you like just because it's with somebody of your own sex? Grow up, keep it in your pants and start acting like decent American citizens and you won't have to worry about "discrimination". Sex is best left in the bedroom, for everybody!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Wow. Thank you for so clearly illustrating the bigotry this law is specifically targeting from those who have a knee-jerk reaction against homosexuals

I have a Knee-jerk reaction to anyone who thinks they are entitled to rights outside of our American Constitution based on nothing more than sexual practice.

Gay people are not a race! There is no minority factor here, you are the SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE, the only difference is you seem to have to push what you like in the bedroom on everyone around you and then cry discrimination, give me a break.....

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Gay people are not a race! There is no minority factor here, you are the SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE, the only difference is you seem to have to push what you like in the bedroom on everyone around you and then cry discrimination, give me a break.....

I see. So your objection to the legislation is that History should only teach about different races, and not political and social/economic classes?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Agreed. I also wish the heterosexuals would keep their damned sexuality out of my face and my history books!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I see. So your objection to the legislation is that History should only teach about different races, and not political and social/economic classes?

Political and social/economic classes? I'm sorry, is being gay a third party I haven't heard about? Is there a special medium light middle class for gays outside of our normal low / middle / high system?

Stop trying to make being gay something it is not. Here is what being gay is very simply in a few words..... "Liking something else in the bedroom the majority does not". That sums it up, and guess what pal, that goes for allot of us hedros too.

You think we all have sex the same? You think there aren't all kinds of crazy orgies, DPs, cuckold and other crazy things going on in bedrooms across the country everyday??? So, does everyone who has a special sexual preference have a right to come out and display that to everyone else and demand that others accept it openly or they are a bigot? Should it afford them any further rights or privileges?

Im sorry, but your argument is fatally flawed and you will only be backed up by other gay people who feel exactly the way you do because the argument you have is outlandish and without any merit deemed from common sense.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Political and social/economic classes? I'm sorry, is being gay a third party I haven't heard about? Is there a special medium light middle class for gays outside of our normal low / middle / high system?

I'm confused. You are saying you think Race should be taught in history, but not anything else? What are you trying to say?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I'm confused. You are saying you think Race should be taught in history, but not anything else? What are you trying to say?

Yes, Race is associated to historical geography, culture and usually, tribes, nations or countries. Being gay happens in ALL races, societies, cultures and geography which means that it deserves no special place in history because it is nothing more than sexual preference in ALLLLLLLLLL cultures, minorities and in main stream, why in gods name are we going to give a special place in history for something somebody likes to do behind closed doors?

Did, gays build the pyramids? Was there a society of all gays somewhere that did something we should know about? If there was by all means, put it in the books..... The fact is, gays are in every race in every country of the world, it is not a culture, it is not a movement, it is nothing more than...... Sexual preference.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

Little Johnny can't read, can't make change, can't find Canada on a map. But he will become more "socially aware".

Great!

I could care less about gays or a gay agenda or gay whatever. When you focus on societal issues instead of practical issues then school stops being a place of learning but of indoctrination where whatever the norm is at that present time, it is introduced.

I;ve also found that the more educated a person is, the more tolerant that person becomes. But instilling tolerance over knowledge only hurts those children that would benefit from both.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

The fact is, gays are in every race in every country of the world, it is not a culture, it is not a movement, it is nothing more than...... Sexual preference.

Exactly. Gays are part of society and therefore part of History and therefore should not be intentionally excluded from the History books, which is exactly what this legislation hopes to prevent. Good point.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join