It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide Rates in U.S. Increase as Economy Declines, CDC Researchers Find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Okay so most of us figured that was true but... the CDC says we're right

Suicides reached a record high of 22 people per 100,000 in 1932 during the Great Depression, CDC officials said in a report published online today in the American Journal of Public Health. That was double the rates seen in 2000, when 10 people per 100,000 took their lives as the economy prospered, the study found.

Full story on Bloomburg

The researchers examined economic data and suicide rates for the 80 years ending in 2007. They didn’t evaluate suicide rates during the recession that ended in June 2009 (2009 is what they say). guess they didnt want to make us all more depressed than we already are?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well on the upside, thats fewer people living off the taxpayer funded trough, so the news isn't all bad.

Always look at the bright side of things.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

I dont know bud...
seems to me the cost of this kind of mindless study, offsets any gains made by folks droping out of the system...
so how many millions do you think they spent to figure out what any of us could have told them for free?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This is saddening, but not unexpected. If the budget woes continue and slow or completely stop our already weak economic recovery I fear we could see a massive upswing in suicides across the country.

Along the same lines is Japan, which usually rates as the highest suicide rate in the world annually. It will be interesting to see how high the numbers there will be considering the epic disaster they are currently enduring.

In both cases, very sad to see people kill themselves when they perceive they have no other options.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
All part of the depopulation agenda? Two birds with one stone. Kill off more useless eaters while you take their money.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I think it's the sudden country music trend that is causing all this!

That and American Idol!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

We could use a little depopulating.

Don't act like it's a bad thing.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Depopulation, eh?

And how will we choose who is leaving the population? Care to volunteer yourself or someone you care about? (This is just a joke, please do not take seriously)
Probably not, and none of us should.

Instead of depopulation (IE, Georgia Guidestones), perhaps we could put some real effort into living more in tune with nature, or trying to work out our differences to find a way to make everyones lives a little better.

Are we overpopulated? I believe so, but I would rather do what is necessary to make the situation better for those that are living then choose the eugenic route and 'cull the herd.'

Just my two cents.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

Well in fairness, I, and countless others actually contribute.

The takers are the ones who are not needed.

I agree that we are overpopulated, and sooner or later a major depopulation will occur, whether it be man made, or a natural event.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
well I can speak from experience on this topic
since my cousin committed suicide 2 months ago.

He was a great guy, productive in the community
and the economy caused him to lose his job.
his house and his family. The stress of it all
caused him to lose his health. He applied for
disability due to his health problems and subsequent
mental health issues caused by the economy.
He was denied twice. And eventually hung
himself in his closet unable to provide basic
necessities for himself. Had he received assistance,
things might have turned out differently.
He had contributed to Social Security for
over 40 yrs and when he actually needed it,
he was denied access. So basically, the gov
contributed to his demise. The bankers get
bailouts and bonuses. My cousin got the
short end of a rope. Nice trade don't ya think ??

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I agree with you that a major depopulation event will take place in the near future, between natural disasters, political unrest, and economic instability something definitely has to give.

I also view myself as one who contributes to society (and sometimes the lack thereoff), and while it might annoy me to no end that someone is 'mooching' off of me I do my best to remember that the parasite is a human being just like me and might actually have a reason for not being able to contribute.
At least for a little while, and then you simply have to write a lazy bum off as a lazy bum.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

My condolences BDS, sorry to hear about your loss. May he find peace.

It is indeed a shame that Social Security, which milks many of us for our entire lives, will most certainly be denied to us if/when we need it. Like you said, it shows once again that the rich get saved when they need it least, and those that are in danger are left on their own.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Like an above poster stated, less bottom feeders the merrier. The less people ( ie depopulated), the less on social programs, thus, less of a burden on the tax payer.

Could be a good thing!

top topics

join