It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Michio Kaku - Fukishima Daiichi Nuclear Facility is a "Ticking Time Bomb"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

Oh? Has anyone anywhere ever possessed and demonstrated this amazing free energy device you speak of? I would think that, in a world where nothing is truly secret and can only be stiffled partially, womeone would have developed, tested, and demostrated such a magical contraption by now.

As I said, leaving the science fiction nonsense out of the argument and sticking to actual facts, what's the alternative?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm shocked at how this Global Catastrophe is being dumbed down via the Media.

Exposure Levels Going Up Everywhere!

blog.imva.info...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Nuclear plant are just vary dangerous and expensive steam generators, there are other ways to make power more easy and safer. Like wave power it a little harder but they don't melt down they are clean and cheaper to run.
And most major cities are by the oceans. Wow just look at that.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
reply to post by wcitizen

Your sooooooooooooo wrong, He is a voice of light
in a maelstrom of darkness.
There is no scare mongering here. It like he says, tshhtf

Sorry, I have to disagree. I really rated this guy, but now I believe he's been 'got at' and is working for the other side.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
So, what's the answer? I see plenty of people whining and deriding all forms of electrical power generation...
We can't have nuclear reactors because they might be unasfe.
We can't have natural gas plants because of fracking's effects on the environment.
We can't have coal fire generators because they emit so-called greenhouse gases.
We can't have oil fire plants because drilling for oil is bad, they emit so-called greenhouse gases, and they handcuff us to foreign oil.
We can't have hydroelectric dams because nature intended those rivers to run roughshod and the dam may harm the rare (and utterly worthless) prickleassed sucker minnow living downstream.
We can't burn wood to heat homes because of air pollution.

I see a ton of can'ts coming from a bunch of people with zero solutions. Solar power isn't the answer... that only works in places with abundant sunshine. Wind power is the stupidest idea ever... ten wind generators take up as much space as an entire coal fire plant and produce about a tenth or a percent as much electricity. All the other ideas I see floating around are nonsensical science fiction at best. So what's the answer here? I don't believe I am in the minority of people when I say throwing mankind back into the dark ages isn't a valid answer to this problem. If nothing else, look at what you are using to access ATS right now. Guess what? Your computer, data line, provider network, and the ATS servers you are contributing to the load on all use electricity and quite a bit at that. Are you willing to plunge yourself back into the dark in answer to the problem?

I happen to agree that most of our current methods for generating electricity are harmful to the planet and human life, more or less, for the very reasons you listed in your post. Although I disagree with your premiss that those who object to the use of nuclear and/or power plants fueled by fossil fuels have offered "zero" solutions.

There are many different methods for generating electricity from "solar" power, many that are currently under development. Just wanted to clarify that "solar panels" are not the only form of solar power, although we did just successfully fly a solar powered plane for more than 24hrs. and it landed with more battery power than it took off with.

IMO, some of the alternative solar power plants like those that utilize the concentrated reflections from directed mirrors to generate steam in the solar collection tower offer a lot of promise. I'm just waiting for someone to figure a way to utilize salt water in the boilers to generated the steam and then condense the used steam as it exits the electrical generator into fresh water. In essence combining desalination and power production at one facility.

When it comes to wind power, have you ever heard of "vertical axis wind generators?" They operate much like an attic vent turbine does, they're very efficient and they require very little room. They could be mounted on top of every steel or concrete power line pole in the country, (utilizing infrastructure that's already in place) and they could feed their power straight into the grid.

Or, how about we invest in some Thorium fueled reactors instead of making the same mistake of utilizing enriched uranium or plutonium? Could it be that we currently utilize unsafe nuclear fuels because in reality, it's the enriched uranium and plutonium that we're after for use as weapons grade materials?

I/we realize that solar & wind cannot meet our current energy needs overnight but if we don't start now, then when? I'm just a retired longshoreman with a high school education and I could come up with a number of ways to generate clean electricity. The real problem is that we haven't concentrated our efforts in the direction of clean energy production because those who currently dominate the world energy markets do their best to suppress any technology that would ween us off of their products.

On top of all that, I honestly believe that the coming energy crisis will be the driving force that results in our governments disclosure of secret technologies including access to "zero point energy" and/or "over unity" devices. I realize that's "nonsensical science" to you, but I truly believe that; "Out Of The Chaos, Comes Order."

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

By the way, Good job Skywatcher. I love Michio Kaku and his ability to explain complicated things in laymen's terms. S&F

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Just a quick question…
If Hydrogen is our most abundant resource and its by-products are water…
Why not configure a means to boil water using Hydrogen?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

Oh? Has anyone anywhere ever possessed and demonstrated this amazing free energy device you speak of? I would think that, in a world where nothing is truly secret and can only be stiffled partially, womeone would have developed, tested, and demostrated such a magical contraption by now.

As I said, leaving the science fiction nonsense out of the argument and sticking to actual facts, what's the alternative?

Are you serious? All around the world......Lets talk about the big wind mills in California or the Giant mirrors they use to harness the energy. Do they cost money to put up? Hell yes they do but thats it!

EPG a little company that almost could.......they harness the Energy from cow manure. How much meat do you eat? Think bigger think McDonalds and all their farm fed beef manure going to waste. WHY? Because the only cost is the cost to build it and where is the money in that? How do justify charging people and having rates go up because of scarcity?

There is a old man in India doing just that, hes got I think 2 cows and he creates enough energy for two families. If he a little indian man can do it then why can't we? Now thats just one example.

Thats why they are chasing the Oil my friend.........to justify the means!

Sorry but Green Energy is my thing! I used to own stock in EPG, among others like it, till they decided to pull the plug and go after the oil instead.

It can be done and could have been done a LONG TIME AGO......

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by HedyLamarr

Originally posted by 13Godslivinglight
if i were President, i'd shut all 104 nuclear plants down immediately. this madness is completely unnecessary. same goes for oil drilling in the ocean...or in general actually

You have my vote

Wow, you two can't be serious?

Immediately eh?
I suppose you don't use any electricity at all... oh wait you're using a computer and the internet.

Maybe think things through a bit more before suggesting something so asinine.

I'm glad you're not president.

I agree with the idea of getting more specialized help from Military or some other organization and get this dealt with right away.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
First

"Nuclear power might be cheap..." Actually it is not. It is subsidized power- that's all.

Wind power is not cheap. without it being subsidized as it is it would not be feasible.
Wind power in the US is subsidized very heavily. It would be totally uneconomic­al if it were not. Wind is subsidized at $23.37 per mega-watt-hour.
You pay for wind power two ways first with your electric bills then as a taxpayer.
www.windturbinesyndrome.com...
www.investors.com...

Dr Michio Kaku is a well known anti nuclear activist.
en.wikipedia.org...
wn.com...

I have listened to him making statements about the japanese reactors the last few weeks that he can not back up with any evidence.
Everything he has said has been worst case without any firm evidence that it is really happening.
even the operators of the reactors are unsure as to what is going on and are trying to get robots in to see first hand what happened and how bad it is.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
I never understood why the various countries never built the reactors underground - that way all they have to do in the event of a meltdown is shut the door and fill it full of concrete.
I think the Fukushima Daiichi reactors ARE underground for the most part, at least the primary containment structures are below ground level according to one source I read.

But the only people that think shutting the door and pouring in concrete is an answer are people that don't understand nuclear power. That won't stop a meltdown.

The reason the movie "The China Syndrome" got its title is because almost nothing can stop a molten core once a complete meltdown happens. That's what Kaku refers to as the ticking time bomb, a complete meltdown could still happen.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by 13Godslivinglight

If you were pres and you did that, you preside over the largest man made crisis in history. Tens of millions would be without power. They would riot and demand your head. When you tried to return power to them, the entire power grid of the nation would fail under the strain.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The real commitment to alternative renewable energy is pathetic. You wanna talk subsidies look at the entire fossil fuel industry and don't forget the cars and roads. I am appalled that nuclear boosters and shills, including our President, appear to only dream of opening the next nuclear plant as Japan and the world desperately try to bring the current crisis under control. We have not even begun to understand the irrevocable damage done by the Fukushima disaster!

As Arnie Gunderson said in one of his recent videos "Everyone knows when Chernobyl began. Everyone knows when the disaster at Fukushima began. No one knows when they will end."

I believe Kaku and admire his educated and principled stand on all things nuclear. Here you have a man that was on an inside track for a leadership role in the nuclear industry. Edward Teller was his mentor FFS! He is of Japanese decent with close relatives that actually live in Japan. His opinion and expertise are desperately needed to help bring this nightmare to an end if that is even possible now.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
These ideas of solar, wind, and digester/methane power production do work, on a micro scale. We're not talking about a micro scale here, we're talking about a macro level. There is a HUGE difference between a small plant producing their own power or a home generating enough electricity for themselves and providing enough electricity to support a city, their industry, and their commercial power needs. Those are the problems I'm not seeing the naysayers offering legitimate solutions to.

Originally posted by Flatfish
I realize that's "nonsensical science" to you, but I truly believe that; "Out Of The Chaos, Comes Order."

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and not accuse you of intentionally misquoting me to make me appear like a nut. I said "nonsensical science FICTION" not "nonsensical science." There's a huge difference between the two.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
"these samurai warriors"...way to patronize yourself Michio...

Yeah, its bad. In other news, Amy Goodman is a hottie and I would do dirty things to her.
edit on 14-4-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
michio kaku is the biggest scaremongerer ever existed.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
www.brookings.edu...

Did you know that there are nuclear land mines of varying yield? They range from .3 kiloton up. They can be placed exactly, no bombing or cruise missiles, no danger of missing the targets that must be destroyed.

The entire population can be moved to safety, as i remember, Japan has a extensive system of tunnels left over from WWII. Weather and wind direction could carry the radiation and fallout out to sea.

The nuclear blasts must be large enough, hot enough, to totally consume all the radioactive material at the Fukushima sites. Radiation and radioactive material is as susceptible to nuclear destruction as any other material.

It is better for everyone if we take the necessary steps and end this thing, rather than waiting for blind chance to decide our fate. Hiroshima and Nagasaki recovered a lot faster than Japan will if action isn't taken.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Be4sTXMoDe
michio kaku is the biggest scaremongerer ever existed.
I think there are bigger scaremongers out there. For example there are always doomsayers predicting the end of the world, they've been doing it for thousands of years.

But I watched the Kaku video again, and I would have to agree he's slightly over-dramatizing it.

I think a more balanced professional view comes from Arnie Gunderson on the fairewinds.com site.

www.fairewinds.com...

He's not trying to whitewash the situation, and he admits how serious it is but he's less of a scaremonger than Kaku. He also comes across as knowing more about nuclear engineering than Kaku.
edit on 15-4-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

600,000 WORKERS fought the Chernobyl disaster. (1 reactor)
600 workers (tops) are fighting the Fukushima disaster. (4 reactors)

What is WRONG with this picture?
Why doesn't anyone mention the fact that what is going on in Japan
is beyond criminal. Both TEPCO and the Japanese gov are sentencing hundreds
of workers to the grave.

I can just hear the president of TEPCO addressing the Fukushima workers...
"Some of YOU may die, but that's a risk I'M willing to take"

I can only hope the president of TEPCO is imprisoned for his totally irresponsable behaviour.

edit on 15-4-2011 by arufon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

These ideas of solar, wind, and digester/methane power production do work, on a micro scale. We're not talking about a micro scale here, we're talking about a macro level. There is a HUGE difference between a small plant producing their own power or a home generating enough electricity for themselves and providing enough electricity to support a city, their industry, and their commercial power needs. Those are the problems I'm not seeing the naysayers offering legitimate solutions to.

Originally posted by Flatfish
I realize that's "nonsensical science" to you, but I truly believe that; "Out Of The Chaos, Comes Order."

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and not accuse you of intentionally misquoting me to make me appear like a nut. I said "nonsensical science FICTION" not "nonsensical science." There's a huge difference between the two.

But if every home was properly insulated and generated its own power (maybe a little extra) then we don't need centralised power for domestic use. Even homes in cities can have a combination of vertical axis turbines and solar power. A lot of businesses are located in brownfield sites with space! so they can also micro generate.

I have seen green energy solutions dismissed but I have struggled to find the numbers behind the dismissal. This leads me to believe that the dismissal is based more on a need to convince for a more dubious reason.

One thing is for sure. Using nuclear power as a source of heat to boil water to generate steam for a steam turbine to generate electricity is the most over engineered stupid method ever invented!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join