It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific falsehoods in the Bible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EL1A5
You mention Giants and Dragons as false, were there not dinosaurs at one time?

and Pi rounded does indeed equal 3

This isnt true Pi cant be rounded to three and still be pi... pi is a formula not a number.. the number is the output of a formula and we still haven't reached the limit of pi and don't get me started on tau

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

Agreed, but I doubt back in the day they would've known as much as we know now about Pi.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lenisey
fyi.....the bible is the only written book that has not only survived the longest but is the most worldwide known , etc etc....there HAS GOT to be more knowledge in i6t than any other book, i believe until someone can do better- stop putting it down.....just my opinion

FYI the Bible is only some 500 years old (and it's changing continuously). Some hindu scriptures are like 4000 years old (way older than even the oldest parts of the Old Testament). And even those hindu scriptures are not the oldest religious texts.
edit on 14-4-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by EL1A5

Agreed, but I doubt back in the day they would've known as much as we know now about Pi.

Well thats not actually true either, they have tried to calculatepi since at least 1900 BC.
and they came within 1% of its true value.
"The earliest known textually evidenced approximations date from around 1900 BC; they are 256/81 ≈ 3.160 (Egypt) and 25/8 = 3.125 (Babylonia), both within 1 percent of the true value"
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 14-4-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Took that a bit thick didn't you? I forget where I first heard that being asked but it never ceases to amuse me the number of people it catches out especially those who I freely admit are more intelligent than I.

Anyway, the question served it's intended purpose. That was to reach 20 posts so now I can u2u.

Get in there McDuff!!

link   
What is more likely.

That a Jewish girl lied about getting knocked up?
or
That God impregnated a random Jewish girl?

Seems pretty obvious to ME! Another scientific falsehood to add to the collection.

Another thing is why did Moses spend so much time up on the mountain? If God created the Universe in Seven days why did it take him like a Month to carve out a few sentences into a piece of rock? Seems to ME that the reason that it took so long to carve out those commandments was because Moses made them by himself and there is no god.

MYTH BUSTED! Chalk up another Scientific Falsehood.

link   

Wow, that's pretty interesting, I stand corrected then.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by idonotcollectstamps

And where did all the water that flooded the Earth come from, and where did it go? (A miracle - TA DA!)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Well, I hold on to hope that there are some people who have doubts. I have a friend who was a strict, Bible-believing creationist. One day, out of the blue entirely, he told me he had finally accepted evolution. Why? Well, I had mentioned something in an off-hand conversation with him and his brother, he had later investigated a lot for himself. He's still a very devout individual, but he doesn't have any problem with realizing that ancient Hebrews aren't the best source for scientific research.

It's one anecdotal story, but it's enough for me to think that there are others like him. I'm sure you know of at least one person who has changed their mind from creationism. It's really for the people who are in the 'flock', not the people who are actively arguing against me here. It's for the people who will stop by and flag threads and maybe read them but not participate. And those people exist. Some threads get a lot more flags than active participants. Threads like "Darwin was an idiot"

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

i am actually very impressed with hinduism...it is one of my favorites....it seems to be much more intelligent than most everything else i've seen, or learned about.....
i retract my statement.....
thank-you rhinoceros....i stand corrected!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Taken out of context, the Scriptures can be twisted to say just about anything. Truth must be rightly divided and kept in proper context. "In the beginning God created" It takes faith to believe this, Only those who have humbled themselves can receive the truth of scripture... Enlightened By The Holy Spirit!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I actually tried to limit the list to things that strictly speak about the scientific world. There's further issues of historical and just general logical issues or stories that seem particularly odd like the example of Mary where "got knocked up by a Roman soldier" seems slightly more likely.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Faith2011

So I have to accept the claims before I can read the evidence? That's awfully convenient...in fact, it's the logical fallacy of special pleading!

And I provided passages, you can show me if I'm taking anything out of context. Each and every issue I raise has one or more citations...but you didn't bother to read the OP, did you?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lenisey

So it's good because it's popular? You do realize that very few people who believe in the Bible actually know a lot about what's in it, right? Most Christians haven't read the Bible, most Jews haven't their chunk of it. Blindly exalting a book because it's a requirement of your religion doesn't mean you actually know what's in it.

...and Aristotle and Plato. Homer. There, three authors who are circa the time of the physical authorship of the first bits of the Bible.

But this is still the fallacy of argumentum ad populum and argument from tradition.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Just to make a quick reference for people, this is a quick list of some of the brilliant scientific "facts" (read blatant flasehoods) found in the Bible. Feel free to ask for explanations.

Plants existed before the Sun and Moon (Genesis 1:11-16)

Because you were there you know this

The Earth is created before the Sun (Genesis 1)
...actually, to just shorten this: The order of events in Genesis 1 is wrong

Once again you know this because you were there.

The Sun and Moon are set in a physical firmament above the Earth (Genesis 1:16-17)

You do not understand that words can mean different things depending upon context. Look up in Strong's

The Moon is a/produces light (Genesis 1:16, Isaiah 13:10)

This is true that it does not produce light which may be why a brown dwarf star is heading our way, wormwood.

Global flood (Genesis..mentioned several other times in later books)

It is a blind person that does not see that which is about you in the physical evidence of the Global flood, II Peter 3

Humanity at a time of civilization which would have enabled large scale construction projects shared a single language (Genesis 11)

I must be great to be so wise and old as you to have seen the truth.

Diverse language happened instantly rather than gradually (Genesis 11)

The Hebrew population in Egypt somehow goes from dozens to millions in a few hundred years. (Exodus)

Do be so blind it is possible for over 60 people to become that much in hundreds of years READ Man.

Hares and coneys are ruminants (Leviticus 11:5-6)

God's cure for lepers (Leviticus 14:2-52)

Snakebites are cured by a brass serpent on a pole (Numbers 21:8)

Some things are done by the supernatural, .....Kind of like how you believe that explosions have intelligence and they create life and physical laws.

Giants (way too many passages Numbers, Deuteronomy, 2 Samuel, Amos)

There are many to many to list examples of Giants in our recent past, ....Though that goes against evolution as smaller then bigger.

Dragons (Deuteronomy 32:33, Psalms 148:7)

Boy that is proof of not understanding, the word dragon was changed to Dinosaur in the 1800's.

The Sun apparently moves and can be made to stand still so that people can sneak attack others at night (Joshua 10:12-13)

The Earth has pillars...I guess instead of being hung it's placed.(1 Samuel 2:8, Job 9:6,26:11,38:4-6...actually, a lot of places)

Pi = 3(1 Kings 7:23, 2 Chronicles 4:2)

Either the Earth stopped rotating and moved backward a bit or the Sun moved backward on its own...well, we know what the Bible says about the relationship between the two. (2 Kings 20:11)

The Earth doesn't move.(1 Chronicles 16:30, Job 38:4-6, Psalms 93:1, 96:10...and a lot of other places where it mentions that the Earth is set on foundations)

So you never use figurative speech??

People think in their heart (Esther 6:6, Isaiah 10:7)

Ostriches are apparently entirely inattentive parents (Job 39:13-16)

The Sun moves around the Earth (Psalms 19:4-6)

Snails melt (Psalms 58:8)

The Earth has four corners (Isaiah 11:12, Ezekial 7:2)
Four corners of the earth
MeaningAll parts of the Earth. www.phrases.org.uk...

Lots of fantastical creatures used to exist including satyrs, cockatrices, fiery flying serpents, etc (Isaiah)

And your point is that since you were there to see all this you know for a fact that creatures that do not exist today did not exist then?????

The Earth is definitively flat (Daniel 4:10-11, 20)

Read before you talk, that verse is speaking of a Dream

The stars are tiny objects that can fall out of the sky and be stomped upon (Daniel 8:10)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

i do realize this...in fact i was raised as a young child in the catholic religion...passed thru all the necessary classes, (catacism, 1st communion, confirmation)
and still can recite their entire sermon.....(more like a cultish chant in my opinion)

and NEVER ONCE OPENED A BIBLE!
never was taught to do so...we were to blindly trust the "father"
it is horrifying , but still,
regardless.....the bible still remains up there on the pop charts....good, bad indifferent...lies, or truths....something in it has our interest above all other books as a whole..
i myself find it very repetitive, redundant, wordy and intentionally confusing in most spots....
i really like revelations...thats about it,
but i'm just saying....

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

regardless.....the bible still remains up there on the pop charts....good, bad indifferent...lies, or truths....something in it has our interest above all other books as a whole..

Heres a list of the top books of all time as of 2007, yes the bible outstrips the others in shear volumes, but the gideons have something to do with that

more interesting is the 2 book on the list.
and the bible has had a lot longer to reach the n umber of copies sold compared to others on the list..

1. The Bible
2. Quotations from Chairman Mao Zedong by Mao Zedong
3. The Qur'an
4. Xinhua Zidian
5. The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith, Jr.
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling
7. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
8. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
9. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J. K. Rowling
10. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
11. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling
12. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
13. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
14. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling
15. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling
16. Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Lew Wallace
17. Heidi's Years of Wandering and Learning by Johanna Spyri
18. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
19. The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care by Dr. Benjamin Spock
20. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
21. The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley

entertainment.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

LOL at Harry Potter stealing six spots. No WONDER they want to outlaw and ban harry potter! He is climbing up the charts! And all this time I thought it was because they were trying to patent and hold the copyright claims to magic!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

thats nice, according to whoever wrote tthat list...cuz, i know nobody that i know, and none of my relatives in italy, or mexico even has heard of most of those books...then there are the countries where some whole villages cant read , yet have heard of the bible....
honestly i just am saying it has survived...
i do not believe in it, as i said...its like the kids "telephone" game....
none of it was probably anything like the original writings....
i just do not believe in discrediting the popularity, and crazy power it seems to have to just hang in there ...instead of being forgotten about, or a thing of the past, whatever.....
and i think it was meant to try to teach good behavior...so ....y bash on it...bash on books that encourage evil,serial killers or pedophiles....if the bible helps some people try their best to be good people , then i approve....

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

harry potter surprisingly, WAS in fact , one of the best written storys in a long time...that author has got talent....i do not like such stories but began to read to my kids and became so interested, i ended up buying the last book in the series THE DAY IT HIT THE SHELVES!LOL

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join