It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kobe Bryant fined $100,000 for gay slur

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The NBA fined Kobe Bryant $100,000 on Wednesday for using a derogatory gay term in frustration over a referee's call.

NBA Commissioner David Stern issued a swift disciplinary ruling after the Los Angeles Lakers' five-time NBA champion guard cursed and used the homophobic slur when referee Bennie Adams called a technical foul on him during the third quarter of a victory over the San Antonio Spurs.

"Kobe Bryant's comment during last night's game was offensive and inexcusable," Stern said. "While I'm fully aware that basketball is an emotional game, such a distasteful term should never be tolerated. ... Kobe and everyone associated with the NBA know that insensitive or derogatory comments are not acceptable and have no place in our game or society.

Read article

Really? 100k for saying a word some people don't like?

Why is it those who demand "tolerance" are never tolerant of people who have different opinions?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Nobody fined Parker and Stone for their biker gang episode.

In the context his "slur" had absolutely nothing to do with sexual preference or bashing any group of people.

But PC police reign supreme.

Whaaa, whaaaa everything that has nothing to do with me hurts my feelings and I demand restitution!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

He also had no need to shout a homophobic slur at a referee just for getting called for a technical (which he deserved) in a game they were winning.

Why do you even care if he was find $100000? That is what, 0.0001% of his wealth? When he got that fine you know he laughed.

I think it was inexcusable. Profanity shouldn't have a place in a nationally televised game, no matter how big of a crybaby the player was.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
If they put cameras on Military or (even Sport) Training facilities they'd be losing their whole budgets in a couple of months! haha he was really upset, fierce player, hates to lose loves to win F**ing Fa**ot! from the bench 50.000 $ per word

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Surely any NBA player is contractually obliged to obey the rules of that organisation ?

If he's flouted the rules, then the NBA have every right - as a private company - to fine him an amount that they deem to be appropriate for the particular rule violation that he incurred.

As long as they stay within the confines of the law, then I fail to see why anybody should be bothered about how they decide to police their own organisation.

edit on 14-4-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
A month ago Michael Cole mentioned the word "faggot" while replying to another worker in the company. I believe the only reason people complain is that they do not want to lose sponsors or viewers.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TripleSalCal

Sure. Then fine him for unsportsmanlike conduct and hold it to every cursing athlete on the field or on the bench.

They made it a point to single this out as a gay bashing event which it isnt.

There's nothing different from Kobe using that word on the bench in anger or Brady throwing his arms up and dropping an f-bomb because a receiver couldnt hang on.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I don't see any conspiracy here. He disrespected a ref by cussing at him twice in the same sentence under circumstances as somebody already stated were not excusable. ie they were winning and it was a justified tech (I watched the game).

The thing here however is not what he said but the fact it was picked up and broadcast over national tele. They do not care he said it. Only that he got caught plain and simple he made the league look bad. So they "fined him"

Regardless like a 100k hit is really going to hurt him.

That is all

Trowa

edit on 14/4/11 by TrowaBarton because: Spelling as per

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
There is no conspiracy here ..this thread should be moved
edit on 14-4-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Profanity? People that get upset by mere words are the issue here.

If someone isn't adult enough to know a word is simply a word, then they have bigger problems than being offended.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili
Really? 100k for saying a word some people don't like?

Why is it those who demand "tolerance" are never tolerant of people who have different opinions?

This is a very twisted statement. Kobe wasnt expressing a "differing opinion", and i think those that respectfully voice dissenting opinions would be tolerated... however, kobe was being INTOLERANT. When you are the superstar figurehead of an organization like the NBA, you cant pout about a call not going your way by throwing a tantrum on the bench and screaming at the ref, calling him a f***ing f*****t.

Kobe, the ref, and the millions of viewers that saw this happen ALL know that he was not trying to be homophobic or to offend gay people in any way, he was using the word in a different manner and context. I am sure we have all said similar, if not the same word, in similar situations. That said, Kobe knows what he said was wrong and accepts the punishment he got. And deservedly so.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ViperChili

Profanity? People that get upset by mere words are the issue here.

If someone isn't adult enough to know a word is simply a word, then they have bigger problems than being offended.

There are a lot of people that were at that game and watching it on TV that were not adult enough. A lot of kids were at that game and watching it on TV. If you dont want your kids growing up and using these slurs in this sort of context, then you need to make sure that the all star champion isnt whining on the bench after a call he disagrees with and shouting out profanities.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Gamecock

Really? By demanding people not say certain words, you honestly think differing opinions would be respected?

No way.

People only whine about tolerance when others do not share their views, it has nothing to do with tolerating differences of opinions.

Whenever someone says something thats unpopular, you can expect them to suffer some sort of ridiculous consequence in order to placate the whiners.

Be it fines, additional "diversity training" (
:lol
or some other form of bullcrap.

Reminds me of an ad I saw on a website one day, I even took a screencap of it:

Read that carefully. Treatment options for "racism". They act as if its a disease. You cannot "treat" opinions.

Add in the fact Bryant wasn't directly addressing the sexuality of the ref, and it adds even more lunacy to this situation.

If he had simply called the ref an a-hole, think he would be fined the same amount? Of course not. The gay groups whined and cried, and got their wish.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I couldn't believe he got a $100K fine for a simple slur... it's more about proving a point to the NBA Players in the League than appeasing the Gay and Lesbian Communities,

Basically there is no Conspiracy, just a kick in the arse.

new topics

top topics

join