It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At Last, Some Good News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Time: Sweet Bird of Youth

The link above goes to a newish Time article, posted Mar. 17, 2011, about how the world is really not so bad after all. I think it was pretty good and uplifting. Behold:

Falling mortality at a time of rising populations worldwide suggests even more good news: the global breakdown of the so-called Malthusian trap, which predicts that rising population will lead to increased poverty, famine and even war as limited resources are spread among ever more people. Instead, famines have become increasingly rare. Wealth has been spreading so much that global poverty has been more than halved since 1990. And the recent past has seen a considerable downtick in violence: there were 24 wars going on in the world in 1984, but by 2008 that number had dropped to five.

Now if that is not just alittle bit refreshing, I dont know what is. But saying that, and seeing where we are today, I expect that this post will be attacked for everything from being Disinfo, to being to true to accept as real.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Obinhi because: Spelling error. Also added original date of news story

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Good point, OP.
Whomever dismisses these facts is spending too much time behind a screen...or they are simply too young to have a clear perception of history. The next step should be the de-industrializing of our society, reducing pollution, going back to growing organic crops - given that now we understand and have a better use of technology - and reducing the overall division among people still due to nationalistic and/or religious obsession.

If we could only do something about our humanity while we're developing our technology...that, would be an even better news. We will know when we made that leap when we will all behave like intelligent, conscious, and moral beings without the need for any enforcement of any laws (not in my lifetime).

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Obinhi

Nice, you dont always hear the good side of things, but I guess that's how it is...Peace doesn't sell, War and hate does.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Obinhi

Nothing wrong with spreading some good news. I wish there was televised news programs and papers dedicated to sharing the good things people do every day. We are told it is the horror shows and the heartbreaks that sell printed copy, but then again, we are told a lot of things that later we find are lies.

I don't care for what TIME magazine prints because they are another tool of the wealthy. Look at the assets TIME / Time Warner owns & controls. The different versions of TIME & their circulation numbers tells us of their power and influence. I can't help but think "buyer beware".

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

I cant help but to feel that with Mega Corps like Time/Warner getting so big, you can find stuff like this in the deep web. The Editors and stuff can try to hide it from the casual browser, but if you follow the links you can find gems like this 7 or 8 links from the main page.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
ive been saying this for a while too. 2011 is WAY better a time than 1911 was, certainly WAYYY better than 1811 was! the only thing that's worrysome now is the possibility that what we have now can be lost.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Try telling that to the citizen's of Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

To Name A Few

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthPhobos
Try telling that to the citizen's of Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

To Name A Few

That's fewer than 1/3 of the world's nations, and I would say those nations were in many cases, just as bad off in the past, the thing is they haven't improved (though AIDS has probably made parts of Africa worse than ever basically).

new topics

top topics

join