It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan thinking about evacuating Tokyo over radiation and earthquake fears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
This is very important...if they actually do it.

Japan Mulls to Move Capital over Disaster Worries

As powerful earthquakes continue to jolt Japan and radiation levels near Tokyo are rising, the Asian country's authorities are considering moving the capital to another city.

The most probable location for a new capital are Osaka and Nagoya, according to ITAR-TASS. Both cities are located near international airports.

The main conditions the new capital has to provide are a population over 50 000 and a sufficient capacity to accommodate the parliament, the government, the Emperor's residency and the foreign diplomatic missions.

If they ``move the capital``, it would basically be like evacuating it would it not? Sure some people would stay... but if the government and most businesses will be leaving, I think the term ``evacuating`` is appropriate..

Some people were calling for this a while ago.

Of course, doing so would probably cripple the Japanese economy even more... for years to come.
edit on 14-4-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Osaka, isnt that right next to an absolutely huge volcano?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I saw the video of the streets and sidewalks rising and falling like a breathing monster. It was supposedly shot near Tokyo. I think in light of the Edward Cayce prophecy that Japan will sink into the sea and the continuing heavy aftershocks; that Japan is in deep trouble no matter what they do. If I lived in Japan I would be looking for the quickest route to anywhere else in the world that isn't currently seismically active.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Wow. Where to begin with this one?

First off, the "story" is talking about moving the government - not evacuating the city. Big difference, although you'd never know if you only read the title of this thread.

Second, the story doesn't mention radiation.

Third, there's absolutely nothing about this in the Japanese press. Say what you like about them, but consider the odds of a Bulgarian newspaper scooping the Japanese media on a story of this magnitude...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
First off, the "story" is talking about moving the government - not evacuating the city. Big difference, although you'd never know if you only read the title of this thread.

Except if they move the government, a lot of people will think about moving out, including businesses. If it's not safe for the government, you really think people are gonna think it's safe for themselves?

Second, the story doesn't mention radiation.

Yes it does.

As powerful earthquakes continue to jolt Japan and radiation levels near Tokyo are rising

Third, there's absolutely nothing about this in the Japanese press. Say what you like about them, but consider the odds of a Bulgarian newspaper scooping the Japanese media on a story of this magnitude...

That's why I said ``if true``... which is probably not considering it's nowhere in the Japanese press, and considering the Japanese ``thinking``...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Just thinking. In order for the country to survive they must have the government safe. It would seem to me that government evacuation would be something they have plans for. For all anyone knows, They may have already moved all important government officals and essensials.
edit on 14-4-2011 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The main conditions the new capital has to provide are a population over 50 000 and a sufficient capacity to accommodate the parliament, the government, the Emperor's residency and the foreign diplomatic missions.

Ermm what about the other 29,950,000 people who live in and around Tokyo where the hell are they going to live ??

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Ermm what about the other 29,950,000 people who live in and around Tokyo where the hell are they going to live ??

Maybe it's the cynical mood I'm in, but could that be why they just raised the level from 5 to 7, waiting until after all the elite and powerful have finally secured their new dwellings, now to heck with the other 29,950,000, let them figure out where they are going to move?
By the way tarifa37, I LOVE your avatar! That is one of my all-time favorite movies, period! (Into the Wild)
edit on 14-4-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-4-2011 by RoyalBlue because: my brain's asleep

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
There's probably a fragment of truth in this story. I'm sure they have considered the possibility of having to move government facilities to somewhere safer (if such a place exists in Japan...) but I'm also sure it would be a last resort move - it would almost certainly trigger a massive evacuation and also a lot of resentment in Tokyo....."why are the government abandoning us!" etc, etc.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Exactly.
And since when have 30million people been evacuated from anything??

Why don't they just bury the damned reactor in lead infused concrete and be done with it and stop poisoning the population?

Because a few rich guys don't want to lose some money. Sick bastards.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Originally posted by vox2442

Yea, they will move the sorry A$$, good for nothing government, but leave the people there to die.....

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Hawaii Moved its Capitol from the BIG Island after they were hit by a Tsunami. It makes sense to have the leadership and other important leadership in a stable area. Im just glad they are considering it.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Eventually the wind directions are going to change
and Tokyo will be too contaminated for anyone to
stay. A massive plan should be taking place for
everyone to leave. So the Govt goes first - perhaps
they are hoping the people will find a place to go
as well, okay probably not. TPTB will protect
theirselves way before thinking of civilians. If
I were in Tokyo right now I would be packing
my bags before there is a disasterous stampede
with everyone leaving at once.