It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything you do is for yourself

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Luckyxfactor

Of course you did!! You felt good being honest, otherwise you would have felt bad, or like a sinner.
That's the whole point... You did it for you! Not gain, but ultimately for YOU.

It's a broad range of feelings is 'for you'

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

I wish more people would do good for no external rewards because the internal rewards will more than make up for it. These are the rewards of a better humanity, a nicer place to live, and general good will. This is the selfishness we could do with more of.

Again I think all disagreement could be solved if there was a word for serving yourself by serving others, and one for serving yourself at the expense of others. Both technically fit the term selfish. Language is such an imprecise beast and in my estimation the source of 99% of disagreements.

My Avatar is a photograph I took years ago of one of my cats focusing on her eye. It is my estimation that some cats seem to have a supernatural ability to know everything happening in their surroundings. Their eyes miss so little it is a constant reminder to pay attention.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by chancemusky
Let me entertain a thought: everything that you will ever do, you do for yourself. Now, it may seem like I'm saying we are inherently selfish here, and I am. BUT, this is not necessarily bad. Lets look at some examples:

Helping an elderly lady with her groceries: You feel good and are considered a good person. It also helps them, but it is motivated by the feeling it gives you.

Taking more food than someone else: You are hungry, and need to preserve yourself. It may harm another, but you ultimately need to eat. If you choose not to, why? Because you feel and are a hero or noble.

Feel free to try and find an example where there is no selfishness in it, and I will, as I hope will others, try to point out that it is

It is just a fun exercise, to get you thinking from more than one angle, so please, dont get all huffed up over it

I think the uniquely human activity of 'donating blood' or even bone marrow proves many of us are not self centered or interested only in what it means for us. 'Feeling good' about oneself is a genuinely justifiable emotional reaction to ANY circumstance as we are, after all, emotional creatures. But when you're lying in agony after donating your bone marrow or kidney (or whatever) to someone less fortunate than you, 'feeling good' has to be weighed against the pain and suffering you endure.

For me - that proves we are not as self centered as many would have you believe.

Oz

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Wow Jinglelord, it is so funny that you say that. I came back here to tell you just that!

A long time ago my husband and I had a friend named Fugate. He tryed really hard to be a good guy, always doing things for people. But, later Fugate would always complain. So I made his name into a verb.

To Fugate: When a seeming selfless act of kindness is eventualy followed by a self proclaimed honorable mention, or an out and out "what do I get".

So now, when my hubby wants something from me, and he mentions something he did for me ...I say

"Don't Fugate Me!!!"

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Every action has an underlying intent, whether we are consciously aware of it or not. Understanding the intent for your actions gives very profound insight into the fundamental self. You can easily say that "this is uniquely human and feels good", but why do you think so? That's perhaps part of *your* experience with being human, but is it universal? Do you judge others who do not share in this activity or participate in that feeling about it? These are the questions that are answered upon serious introspection.

You can quite happily live your life without knowing the whys or wherefores of your Self. But achieving true compassion is less likely. When you truly know yourself inside and out, you know what makes you the way you are, you will understand others better too. When you have seen all there is of you and can laugh at yourself genuinely and lovingly, you can do the same with others. The anger and intolerance is harder to reach. You spend more time in happiness and in love for all that resides on this planet with you.

At the same time, you allow little to interfere with this happiness because you live in a way that is congruent with your purpose here. You do not agree to do things that are out of step with it, like taking a job you hate that makes you do things contrary to your joy. You don't spend time in activities or with people that "bring out the bad" in you. You do not isolate yourself, obviously, because you move in love and so all things are brighter and more beautiful, all new and good reasons to explore further into the Self that is you. Every time you react with anger, realize that this is your Self asking you to look at those features in yourself that are working against you. The world is a mirror of the Self. You will see things with peace and love when you understand the true Self. There are no text books to lead you there. You are uniquely you. You are the only one who can find you.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
As I cant reply to all, I'll generalize

Selfishness is not inherently bad. Its also not inherently good. It just is. Take a knife, for example. It can prepare a life saving food, and it can kill someone. Is the knife bad? Or the intent behind the action of the user?

Sorry if that isnt the best explanation, but I never expected so many to take an interest in this! Thanks to all, even those who dont agree, I love the discussion

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

Give your life for someone else... Die for them.
You might find the selfishness within you to claim your death as some clever way to get a tombstone with a joke etched on it. Then again, such a selfish act on your part might just silence your noisy consciousness.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
While I agree with the basic premise of the OP, there are a few instances when one's actions are not for oneself. For example, let's say I'm driving down the road and the car in front of me slams on their breaks; in turn, I slam on my breaks and simultaneously throw my right arm out to protect my wife. Now, that action of throwing the arm out isn't selfish; rather, it is instinctual. The same could be said for pushing someone out of harms way, etc....instinct causes the reaction...there is no personal cost/benefit analysis that occurs before such actions take place.

Aggie man... I love it. I'm going there now. It's safe to say there aren't many of our type here in Bryan.

Anyway, you will always put those that you truly love behind you, that's the main point of love, neither of you may be perfect but you would do the anything so the never has to endure pain. When you have time to stop and think logically you start to wonder, "How could they survive without me?", but that's just ridiculously conceived human logic, fact is, that world doesn't exist because you won't be there to observe it.

Love is something that's transcends our ego and existence, OP. I used to also "help a lady across the street" because I thought in increased my value as a person (or some bull#), but then someday you realize it's not about how it makes you feel. That feeling after you help someone is often a by-product of relishing in your accomplishment. Mama bears that risk their lives to protect their cubs and are rewarded with their safety, I doubt they do it to get off on an ego trip.

If someone I truly loved was paralyzed, then I choose to trade bodies with them if I could...there is no reward in that for me. (and if you send enough of that love their way...there is a chance they may get better...just speaking from experience, because I know that sounds like bs)

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Let me entertain a thought: everything that you will ever do, you do for yourself. Now, it may seem like I'm saying we are inherently selfish here, and I am. BUT, this is not necessarily bad. Lets look at some examples:

Helping an elderly lady with her groceries: You feel good and are considered a good person. It also helps them, but it is motivated by the feeling it gives you.

Taking more food than someone else: You are hungry, and need to preserve yourself. It may harm another, but you ultimately need to eat. If you choose not to, why? Because you feel and are a hero or noble.

Feel free to try and find an example where there is no selfishness in it, and I will, as I hope will others, try to point out that it is

It is just a fun exercise, to get you thinking from more than one angle, so please, dont get all huffed up over it

I must say giving my life to save someone else, But i would only do this for a family member not a stranger..

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The evil in this world, is balanced by the selfless actions of a few. We all benefit when there is no evil, and we can be ourselves without having to worry about whether or not we are doing good deeds, however, when things are unbalanced, we have to take additional measures in order to re-establish the equilibrium. Basically, when you help someone else, someone else will help you, however, what people don't realise is that, in order to be helped, there has to be some sort of problem or misfortune, therefore, when you help someone else, you are offsetting or creating insurance against any future misfortunes. Many believe that it is some kind of reward, however, when you help someone who is in a position of loss, then, to receive help, will only occur when you are also in a position of loss. Its not as if you will be paid in pleasure or in good fortune for helping others, as such things generally rely upon ones own skill and enginuity.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nostradumbass

But you love them, and want them to live, do you not? You want their life to be as good as possible?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

I said nothing about evil. Selfishness does not equal bad.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The premise of your statement is too simple.
On one hand, everything you do simply has to be for "yourself". After all, anything other than committing suicide can be reasoned as being done for yourself.
Actually, even suicide can be explained as being a cop out. A weak person took the easy way out...so, it was done for selfish reasons.
"Yourself" is YOUR consciousness. Everything you do if for the benefit of your consciousness, although others should always benefit.

But, what if,

EVERYTHING you do is for others.

Could you survive if you earned no food...if you grew food only for others...if you took whatever food was given you and gave it to those less fortunate, until you got to the point where you didn't have enough energy to even feed yourself? Based upon pure faith, could you rely on someone feeding you? YOU, the person whom never did anything for yourself?

More than likely, someone would be kind enough to feed you, and you would have found your faith in mankind. So, it could be said, that even if you do NOTHING for yourself, you are looking somehow for something...in nothing.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
You are talking about duplicity. This is the fatal flaw of the human being. We reap what we sow and perceive this a punishment or reward. Punishment is merely the reaction by law to our actions. Reward is the same. Most people live their lives seeking reward or acting in a way to avoid punishment. This is the movement of suffering and reward. Duplicity is acting for reward or acting to avoid punishment. When a person is duplicitous, their actions say one thing and their intentions say another. If actions speak, "What's in it for me", then you are duplicitous. If your actions speak, "What's in it for others", then you are seeking the greater good.

When duplicity is removed, a person is then seeking good as its own reward. This is what the Bible calls righteousness. This is humility before God and is the opposite of duplicity (Pride and selfishness). All problems in life come from acting against the law, or trying to avoid the results of the law. We reap what we sow.

If we seek reward, suffering follows. Smoke and you get cancer. Take something that isn't yours and the universe takes back from you over and over again.

If we intentionally suffer for the good of others or our future, reward always follows. Work and you get a paycheck. Follow traffic laws and you avoid a ticket. Work at getting a degree and you find a better job. Work at raising your children well, and when you are old, they take care of you.

Success in life is about the direction that suffering takes. Suffering leads to reward. Reward leads to suffering. Happiness comes from removing duplicity and serving others instead of yourself.

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

The way you put it reminds me of Buddhist teachings haha. Working on only equaling out, and removing all reward and all suffering

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
If you read the Dhammapada, you see that Buddha is saying the same thing. The four noble truths are a way to lead out of suffering completely. The only problem with this is you give up living. My version is just a common sense reflection on the way free will works. All choices come down to belief. There really is no free will since all your choices merely engage a law. God has already worked out a reaction for every action. This essentially means that your only act of free will is belief or disbelief. The story you live in is fixed. Paradoxically, you have an effect on others and are affected by others. This won't stop the earth moving or the tides from coming in.

It's like moving through a forest. Your options are moving around the trees as you make a path of discovery. The forest stays the same and there are unlimited paths you could take. The point is to find the stream leading you back to the source of it all.

The way you put it reminds me of Buddhist teachings haha. Working on only equaling out, and removing all reward and all suffering

edit on 16-4-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-4-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

It depends upon an equilibrium of forces, in other words, perhaps not evil, but at least misfortune, or suffering. Perhaps, to take more than is needed, perhaps that is the problem.
edit on 16-4-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It's all how about your perspective, no one will really know for sure until we know exactly how the mind works. We can sit here and debate all day with different perspectives. It's just one big philosophical pissing contest until the hard science comes out.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Just so everyone is aware giving your life to save another is the single most selfish you can do in this world and doubly so when there is a mutual love with that person. Not only does the person you save have to live the rest of their life with your death on their conscious but you don't need to feel the pain of watching a loved on die.

How is this not a selfish act?

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

You give up on living? Not even remotely so. You find your own true reasons for everything you do in your life, every choice, every thought, every action, every single thing that rises and falls makes sense once you go through those stages. The process only ends when you reach your state of bliss. The world still goes on around you, but you don't suffer from it. You accept what comes and brave the storm with a smile. That's not giving up. That's experiencing every moment to the fullest because you see it only for what it is, without prejudice.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join