It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything you do is for yourself

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Nostradumbass

DINGDINGDING
Youre no help if youre not there! Btw, love the name.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

Ask any person who has been in combat, its self sacrifice to save your fellow man, there is no personal gain from it. If you ask almost any decorated vet, they usually do not consider themselves to be heroic for the things that they have done, and often feel guilty that they survived when “better men” didn’t.

The number one priority in all living beings is self-preservation; there is no self-interest in someone who makes the ultimate sacrifice for another.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Then why does he make the sacrifice? because he loves them, no?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

good for them not for me...it could of been my last ten dollars and i still woulda done it and that wouldnt have been very good for me now would it?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

but you still wanted to do it. I never said it was good for you

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I see what your getting at, but by its very definition, true love is selfless.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. –1 Corinthians 13:4-7
If its self seeking, its not truly love.

edit on 4/14/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
When you read the following reply, please keep your common sense hat on.

You can only ever act for the self. Anything else is arrogance and simply unjust to the other party. One cannot know what is best for others. The only responsible action is done for the best of the self. We tend to misunderstand selfishness as a disregard for others, when upon refection, we realize that it is selfishness and arrogance that lead us to think we know better than others. This leads us to make grave errors in judgment that land us and others in detrimental situations. The only way to know that what you are doing is right is to know your Self and to act according to the dictates of your heart. Until you know yourself very intimately though - and few people do, having been molded by a sick society, the media, dysfunctional families, et cetera - you cannot know your own heart, your own motives, your own mind. Where do you begin and the other influences leave off? It takes dedicated introspection and honesty to see who you are. Fortunately, you are free to change yourself at any moment. It takes a little practice, like all things worth doing, but it can be done. And it will be done when your heart is in it. All things are not only possible, but probable, when you know who you are and where you wish to go.

This is exactly why we must look forward to a world where self-determination and sovereignty are the de facto standard. It is not possible for anyone else to know what another might need until they expressly ask for it. Then it is up to the self to determine the best way forward. That is not to say that everyone would, could, or should come to the same conclusion. It is precisely for this reason that our current society is so strained and artificial. We are not all struck from the same mold. We do not live the same lives. There is no universal "right" nor is there such a "wrong". All things depend on the time, place, and perspective. Only the immediate participants in that situation know of what the situation comprises. We must all step back into ourselves and let others live their lives with the same respect and dignity that we wish for ourselves. None of us is in a higher, nor indeed lower, position than anyone else. We are guided by incorrect thinking when we think this way. Changing one's thinking will rectify this and ensure that future choices better be in a healthy direction.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
No, sorry, don't agree. Yes, i believe a lot of people do good things for selfish reasons, and that really bothers me. But, some people, like gdaub23...are genuinely good hearted and unselfish. I believe that warm fuzzy feeling that one might feel afterwards, is just a byproduct of being a loving human being, not the motivation to do the right thing.

edit to add:
Great thread btw!! S&F
edit on 14-4-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

this is becoming more and more difficult to understand.....so is there not a difference between having morals and selfishness?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Then what is the motivation to do the right thing? Where does it come from?

I will persist that the motivation to do anything comes from within you and because of that must be at its core a selfish act.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

I'd say empathy.
1. understanding of another's feelings: the ability to identify with and understand somebody else's feelings or difficulties

not selfish

looking after own desires: concerned with your own interests, needs, and wishes while ignoring those of others

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

But ultimately aren't your best interests served by raising those around you and humanity as a whole?

This is really a big picture thing. Its like one of those magic eye puzzles. To get the concept you really need to step back and look at it from a distance.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

But ultimately aren't your best interests served by raising those around you and humanity as a whole?
reply to post by Jinglelord

Yes, I get what you are saying, but I don't think this is in a good person's thoughts when they do something good. I think for some people it just comes naturally, and instinctivly to help, without selfish thoughts or motivations.

So yes, one's best intrests are served, but not by intention. It's just a fortunate outcome, or perk.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I think it boils down to this...imagine 6 people were to appear out of thin air somewhere on this planet and they were the only ones...and a dozen potatoes in the field right next to them. Some people would instinctively grab as many potatoes as they can and let the weaker ones in the group starve to death, or would see it completely justified that the weaker ones have to work for their share. Some people would instinctively try to give everyone their equal share, especially the weaker ones in the group, so everyone is happy and there's no fighting. Basically a selfish act, but a selfish act that everyone profits from, while the other mentality is just plain selfish.

It's what you would do, if given power.

edit on 14-4-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
But first, you would need to acknowledge that there are other people in the first place. Look around you at how people behave. Then pay close attention to you yourself behave. What are the physical (let alone verbal) clues you give to your intentions? You probably read them well enough in others, but are you aware of your own?

Another thing: Is it "good" or "right" to only wish to do good for those with whom you empathize? What about those for whom you have contempt or disgust...or outright fear? Everyone on this planet is dear to someone else, whether they know it or not. Too many people are afraid to show it, to receive it, and even to reciprocate those feelings. So who do we let slip through because "they aren't worthy"? Are you more worthy than others?

This is an example of unconditional love. Love everyone who you acknowledge as worthy, but really get to the core reason for why others are not, in your view, worthy. There is no end to the exercise of empathy. There is good in every single person at some point, at some place, at some time. How many of us live our lives with the express purpose of doing good? It takes time to build that sort of life-style. It's built on reputation. You must shine your light for all to see, consistently and brightly.

Be true to your Self, to your nature, to your heart's desire, and you will have gone far. Give others the opportunity to develop this too by asking for help. This allows others to feel the wonderful glow of feeling needed, of feeling loved, of feeling valued, and of feeling respected. Those are veritable manna for the soul. You do your bit for them that way too.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Everybody is trying to get all specific and technical. I find that funny but look at the original post. Its not about your religion, your age, the circumstance etc. Its what you want to do to make yourself look good.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas
Everybody is trying to get all specific and technical. I find that funny but look at the original post. Its not about your religion, your age, the circumstance etc. Its what you want to do to make yourself look good.

Even if we could kindly call that reductionism, I think maybe you just missed the whole point. This is the Philosophy and Metaphysics forum. We expand on thoughts presented, not reducing them -- and erroneously, I might add. Let's look at the OP verbatim:

Let me entertain a thought: everything that you will ever do, you do for yourself. Now, it may seem like I'm saying we are inherently selfish here, and I am. BUT, this is not necessarily bad. Lets look at some examples: Helping an elderly lady with her groceries: You feel good and are considered a good person. It also helps them, but it is motivated by the feeling it gives you. Taking more food than someone else: You are hungry, and need to preserve yourself. It may harm another, but you ultimately need to eat. If you choose not to, why? Because you feel and are a hero or noble. Feel free to try and find an example where there is no selfishness in it, and I will, as I hope will others, try to point out that it is It is just a fun exercise, to get you thinking from more than one angle, so please, dont get all huffed up over it

What we're doing is describing the nature of selfishness and selflessness, and all points in between.

What is different in any action vs any other action is simply intent. What is different in the reception of that action is the perspective. There is no action that is inherently good nor evil. It's all down to intent and perspective in the end.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's just a matter of interpretation.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine
So yes, one's best intrests are served, but not by intention. It's just a fortunate outcome, or perk.

See now I would believe it is by intent, be it subconscious or conscious. I don't think it is a consciously selfish action most of the time, I think it is a selfish instinct.

You are absolutely correct though that intent is the crux of the entire debate. And in essence this is a debate about intent and subconscious intent at that! In such a debate there can be no winners because one thing that can seldom even be proven by the one engaging in the action is subconscious intent.

To my mind though, when helping others is a selfish action that gives me hope. As all creatures will ultimately look after their best interests and in a social creature if our minds our set up to get a selfish reward by raising our species then we stand a chance. If helping others isn't selfish I feel we stand no chance and are just here for a short visit.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
It's just a matter of interpretation.

I can copy and paste this response to every thread on ATS right now and it would fit. Maybe bother to expand on the response or don't respond at all?

Anyone with a mind full of garbage is someone I want to hear from! (Seriously avatar is awesome)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join