It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything you do is for yourself

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Let me entertain a thought: everything that you will ever do, you do for yourself. Now, it may seem like I'm saying we are inherently selfish here, and I am. BUT, this is not necessarily bad. Lets look at some examples:

Helping an elderly lady with her groceries: You feel good and are considered a good person. It also helps them, but it is motivated by the feeling it gives you.

Taking more food than someone else: You are hungry, and need to preserve yourself. It may harm another, but you ultimately need to eat. If you choose not to, why? Because you feel and are a hero or noble.

Feel free to try and find an example where there is no selfishness in it, and I will, as I hope will others, try to point out that it is

It is just a fun exercise, to get you thinking from more than one angle, so please, dont get all huffed up over it

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

Giving your life for someone else. Hard to feel good about yourself when your dead.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
A mother in a hard labor where she has to decide who lives: she or the baby and decides for the baby. And remember she could always have another one.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownPhilosopher

Giving your life for someone else. Hard to feel good about yourself when your dead.

But you do it because you want to. If you didn't want to, you wouldn't willingly do it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I got "huffed up" over it for about...5 seconds.

Then I realized you were right.

Personal example is even though I'm in Management, the number one criticism I get is "I'm too nice". Not just ownership says this. Employees whom I'm charge of say it too.

Simply put, there IS a reason I act this way.

1 - Quite frankly, I believe in some sort of after-life. Therefore, I'm all "Golden Rule" on folks.

2 - Kindness quite often begets kindness. I'm in retail and my sales figures are staggering. Number one compliment from customers? Friendly and considerate customer service. That's why we go all "Golden Rule" on those folks as well.

chancemusky, I hate to admit it but you truly did nail it on the head. Regardless of being good or otherwise there are "technically" selfish purposes behind it all.

Star & Flag.

Cheers!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownPhilosopher

That would depend on the persons' beliefs. If they were a devoted Christian, maybe they would give their life up in hopes of being eternally blessed by their Creator. That would be a "selfish" act wouldn't it?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by enteri
A mother in a hard labor where she has to decide who lives: she or the baby and decides for the baby. And remember she could always have another one.

How do you explain her choice if not in terms of her own beliefs and desires? If she made the choice, it was what she wanted. She was acting to satisfy her own desires.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
True that
It's the karma effect. We do good deeds so it comes back to us. simples

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by UnknownPhilosopher

But, why give your life? Because it gives you peace to know you saved someone you loved, ensuring their safety.
Your love is what caused it

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by enteri

Maybe she didn't want to carry that guilt of choosing herself over the baby, that would be a selfish act wouldn't it?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by enteri

But, she wants her baby to have a life, and not wait for another, different child?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Thats not the point. The question was do we do anything out of an unselfish nature? Though I do have to state that this question is highly subjective. There is no reasonable way to judge someones true intentions for every possible situation that might arise.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
you have to do certain things for yourself in order to be useful to anybody,im almost 30 and just realized that, you cant spend your life being totally in the service of people pleasing in order to be successful,you have to build yourself up to be worth anything, thats the jist of what im seeing

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Good to see youre open
Hey, who said you cant help someone AND be selfish?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. - John 15:13

Pretty much sum it up right there…

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Study more Buddhism people

You don't help people to generate good karma, you don't help other people because it makes you feel good. It's a lot more simple and logical than that.

An easy way to put it - If I help myself, then I am improving the life of a single person. If I help 4 people, then I am improving the life of 4 people.

Which is better for the world as a whole?

Obviously not helping myself only.

That is why in Buddhism you learn to focus on others and not yourself.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

What peace? Your dead. Your very right in many respects but again subjective. So many possiblities, so many answers.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

So because he loves them, he is willing to lay down his life, to make sure they dont perish?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Oh wow I've been saying this for years, it's nice to see someone else saying it!

Because I have had years to ponder this I do think there are some truly selfless actions.

I think I person who truly believes they will get no reward for an action (no karma afterlife etc etc) and really doesn't want to do a thing but does it anyway simply because they know it is right. This normally would trigger the warm fuzzy reward and thus be selfish, but wat if there was no "warm fuzzy" reward? Then it would not be selfish.

This is about as rare as it gets if you ask me.

A mother choosing for her child to live and her to die is selfish. Selfish knowing she couldn't handle the pain of that decision, selfish if religious and feeling there will be a reward in the hereafter. Same for anyone giving a life to save another.

The reality is we have NO WAY to know if an action was truly selfless because it is all about the persons personal response in their head and their beliefs. And that is part of why it is such a beautiful thought if you ask me.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Why help the others though?Why help the world?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join