It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist Weapon choice for long term defense and to feed yourself's.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
In my personal opinion If there really is a massive degrading of our technologies because something tragic does happen the most useful weapon will end up being a rifled flintlock. Very few people in today's world know how to load or even fire a flintlock. I would suggest educating yourself. Powder can be made and If you have the insight to have a bullet cast almost all tires have lead weights on them. So you have a Large supply of materials to make bullets for hunting. Primers and Caps while more effective over the long term would cease to exists.

A compound bow/Crossbow I think is also a good choice the major benefit is you can kill your game quietly. If you run out of arrows they can be crudely made although a compound bow bow may not be very functionally with home made arrows you would need very hard wood and then using a fire hardening them so they don't flex themselves off target .
I hadn't seen anybody mentioning that bullet primers will eventually dry up and all the people with their 2k dollars AR's and other Military style rifles will essentially become unarmed. Especially If they are using said AMMO to feed themselves. I'd save them for defending yourself. The other upside to this topic is in the likely hood that the day comes around and the world hasn't ended you have a few new hobbies to entertain yourselves and to teach to you children.

Lets all hope that we don't NEED to hunt quietly in the not so distant future like everyone seems to be so convinced of. My main concern is the self full filling prophecy. Where we bring it about because everybody expects it. Through human error or greed or whatever.. Preparing for an event though isn't being paranoid. If you follow history it will show you one thing # always happens. So being prepared is being intelligent. INMHO

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The cross bow idea is good...silence, efficiency, etc. But, I want stopping power too. In fact, I am looking to purchase something here very soon, and it will be something to add to my bug out kit actually. The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 .40 S&W with the Glock mag configuration. It is a carbine rifle that fires pistol rounds, and uses Glock pistol mags too. The rifle folds in half for storage or easy conceal, and when folded is about 16" long. So the ultimate pairing is this rifle with a pistol that uses the same rounds and magazines. The rifle aspect gives you some range, so hunting is possible, and if under a martial law scenario, it is able to be hiding in a standard backback or laptop bag. Sure, this may go against what other may choose, but for me it is the best combination of uses. Plus, the rifle is around $300-$350. Just my $.02.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ChachiArcola

I highly recommend the kel-tec sub 2000. It is a very reliable carbine that folds to less then 16.1". I bought the 9mm because ammo is cheap and will be abundant in a survival situation if you know where to.look. You'll want to get the quad rail from kel-tec so you can.throw on a front grip, tactical laser/light, and a sight. Probably one of the best survival guns ever made.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

Crossbows are far from silent. The bolts are sPecific unlike arrows and useless after fired once. It's a bad survival weapon. You should try one before writing such a post. A bow is by far better. A slingshot is good if you can hit anything the ammo is on the ground. Snares are key.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Movescamp

I guess I bought the silenced version that I shoot once a week more if time permits. A Sling Shot is a great idea. I would recommend replacement rubber because they wear out over time.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
how about this, that if you really are worried about something bad happening then be prepared and dont rely on some old flint lock rifle will end up breaking and oh no,no parts to fix it....dang!!!...i recommend that if you are looking to have something to rely on in case of a worse case scenario that you get a gun/rifle that you know is reliable and has cheap ammo...then all you have to do is stock up on the ammo and you should hve it covered....lifes already gonna be hard enough..why make things harderon yourself?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by KevinB
reply to post by ChachiArcola

I highly recommend the kel-tec sub 2000. It is a very reliable carbine that folds to less then 16.1". I bought the 9mm because ammo is cheap and will be abundant in a survival situation if you know where to.look. You'll want to get the quad rail from kel-tec so you can.throw on a front grip, tactical laser/light, and a sight. Probably one of the best survival guns ever made.

I just can't find one anywhere around me right now! Must be a popular gun, which I guess I know why. I hear so many good things about it, and if I could find the 9mm, I would settle for it. Thanks for the vote of confidence on my future purchase. Cool as heck little gun, that is for sure!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Better yet, have all of the above.

It couldn't hurt to practice with the cheapest weapon we have, our arms. A good arm with a good rock can be as deadly as any of the above. Bows use strings, slingshots use rubber, which breaks down over time. Having all of the above makes sense but don't forget your arm and your hands that can build things.

However, any survival situation is probably a 6 month to 1 year event as the area/region transitions into something new and once again starts to organize itself. Leadership is inevitable so politicking could also be a great survival weapon.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
slingshot, blow gun

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
knife.

you are all forgetting.

a knife can be attached to a spear or used quielty in CQB

and it will facilitate the making of traps and snares.

a knife is the difference between long term survival and death in my opinion

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have many, many firearms and I stock quite a lot of ammo (insanely psychotic amounts to most people)
but I have super duper stocks for 2 of them. These 2 should fill most my needs.

I have enough ammo for all the firearms to last decades with normal usage but for those 2 I have enough that I will run out of life before ammo.

1.Long term defense: I have 2 SKS's and I have 47,000 thousand rounds stocked ( 47 cases)

2. Feeding my family: 3 .22 rifles & 1 .22 pistol

I have about 100,000 rounds of .22 ammunition (hey, it's cheap and easy to store)

Anyone who thinks crossbows and bows are silent has never hunted in the quiet woods with one.

Sure their QUIETER than a gun but in the still woods they still break the silence. When I am hunting I can hear someone fire off a bow 400-500 yards away.

And for the long term survivalist scenario people that say "You can make more arrows".....

Do yourself a favor, go make a couple arrows for your bow and try them out. See what kind of range you get and
see how accurate they are....seriously. Do it before your life depends on it. It's more than just whittling a stick down and shooting it.

.22 ammo is cheap and you can store about 24,000 rounds in a milk crate.......

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Not silent, but a high power airgun will last a very long time if its properly maintained. You can carry godzillions of 22cal rounds in a small tin. You can recover spent rounds and remold them over a small fire, or mold entirely new rounds of appropriate material.

Oh, and before you say that airguns are not powerful enough:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/265965cde2d5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

I can't buy a gun and have considered it all.

My choice is a FX Independence, .25 cal air rifle. Self contained PCP pumping action.

Pretty impressive specs.
www.fxairguns.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Just like your cable. By the way what model that is silent.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
If your still wanting to get a bow, I would stick with a breakdown recurve bow. They are quiet, compact, and you will be able produce arrows and strings from things available, Recurves tolerances are not as narrow due to excessive power. For example, compound bows are so powerful that they require professionally manufactured parts when one breaks, and anything else will most likely shatter the first time you fire it. The crossbows I have seen like to break A LOT, and again you cannot engineer spare parts for them.
edit on 4/14/2011 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

ok so when the ammo is spent then what trow the rifle at them? Or use it as a club? no when you run out of the 10,000 and you will i will still be hunting and protecting my self with that old flinter , flint is found in the woods the lock and frizzen can be forged as well as spring yes i do that as well make my own knifes, and BP, black powder is easy to make 2fand 4f one is fine the other is coarse, and you will be looking for primers as well there will be none to buy.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I agree with what your saying, but that gun in the buffalo pic is at least a 45 cal airgun.... noway one can take a big bull like that with 22cal lol.

edit: for Survivalist Weapon choice for long term defense and to feed yourself'

a good knife is all you need,
it will last longer than any other weapon.

The thing about airguns, if you leave them outdoors long the rubber seals will ruin....
edit on 14-4-2011 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by imitator

I was not intending that to be taken as the airgun I have, I was just showing that they do make them for killing big game, and linked the picture over to their website. My 22 is good for game up to the size of a coyote.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I have 30 acre's full of thorny locust trees full of thousands of thorns that are sharper than an ice pic, that i can use to make darts for my blow dart gun. i have at least 100 golden hedge trees i can stave the finest recurve bows and spears from, and every imaginable tool including a milling machine and a lathe that runs on 120 volts, and i have several 12v power inverters to run all the machinery and tools on, plus piles of steel in every type including spring, grader blade, and stainless, and tons of flint. I'm not concerned about weaponry or hunting devices, if i need something i just make it

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Hey right on,
I bought a Walther 22 cal not long ago with the crosman piston installed... I'm really impressed with it's power, the way they make airguns these days is amazing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join