It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anasazi and Area 51..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
In doing research for the Area 51 project, I stumbled upon this job posting for Edwards AFB. It is for a Range Rider that patrolls the base, and helps keep out intruders etc. But its not a security guard position, part of the job requires experience in antropology and describes protecting "Sites" from looters.

Having visited the Canyon De Chelly last winter and become facinated with the Anasazi, is it possible that the ultimate resting spot of thier civilization is hidden somewere in the Nellis / Area 51 Range? Why would the military be looking for people to protect sites from looters? Why would you need people with archeology experience? Could the military be hiding clues about the ultimate fate of the Anasazi?

Here is the job site:
jobsearch.jt3.newjobs.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Good idea, but I think the Nevada Test Site is simply an obsolete aircraft test area. But, as far as I know, it is still not known what happened to the Anasazi...

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jake_
Good idea, but I think the Nevada Test Site is simply an obsolete aircraft test area. But, as far as I know, it is still not known what happened to the Anasazi...

Actually there is alot out in there. We are currently doing a reserch study on Area 51 and you would be surprised. There are alot of valleys, mesas etc that never been looked. Most of that area was never fully explored before it became restricted. Recently a rancher in Utah had the complete remains of a Fremont Indian Tribe hidden on his ranch for the last 40+ years.

It would have been in travaling range of the Anasazi, and with thier superior level of civilization for the times, they could have adapted to just about anywere.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I live on Edwards AFB, I'll ask around to see if anyone knows anything. If I find out anything of interest, I'll pass it on.

This base is huge and most of it is desert area not accessible to the public, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of an archaeological find of some interest somewhere out in that desert.

fishpig

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishpig
I live on Edwards AFB, I'll ask around to see if anyone knows anything. If I find out anything of interest, I'll pass it on.

Thanks. I really wonder if the Military is sitting on alot of acrheolgy sites. If they did move to the Edwards or Nellis range, that would explain why no one has ever found any traces of them...

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Thanks. I really wonder if the Military is sitting on alot of acrheolgy sites. If they did move to the Edwards or Nellis range, that would explain why no one has ever found any traces of them...

This sentence made me think of a story my father told me about wild turkeys only being found on the AFB during hunting season. Other than that odd thought concerning ancient people moving to an AFB area so no trace of them could be found, I do not have much to tell you.

Ok, maybe I do. The area around Las Vegas (Nellis AFB) has many ancient cultural areas. If you were to look at a map of national parks in Nevada and compare it to
a map of Nellis test range it would be quite clear that there is a large amount of potential area that could have been inhabited by prehistoric culture. This isn't even mentioning that there are more areas of "cultural interest" than those made into national parks.

It is believed that the Anasazi (and others) used areas of Nevada for "seasonal hunting". (such as Cathedreal Gorge) The idea they may have moved into the area is not beyond reason.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Concerning the statement that a FRESH DISCOVERY HIDDEN FREEMONT living area has been discovered in Utah...........(I cant get the quote funtion to work)

I live in Utah and am an amuture archioligist.
That Ranchers site was NOT hidden...just unadvertised.......its been known about for years. Ive been there myself 3 times, the first time 15 years ago....we only needed his permission to wander the area.....he would allow certain STUDY groups in....even the University of Utah....
the SUDDENNESS of this in the media is because he SOLD the family ranch to the State recently. So the STATE is claiming its a new find to gain tourism...becuase now the State owns the ranch all comers can wander at will.
It was protected before....but now the looting is rampant and crazy...things I have seen are no longer there.......its a dam shame when the government gets involved and makes anouncements. Thay are calling it a NEW FIND....a fresh discovery, when in fact its very near 9 mile canyon has has been known about for years.....
Its just that NOW that state has it it not as protected from looters and vandels. The site is way older than 40 years ....the local folks have known about it since the ranch was first established. Way more than 40 years ago.
Ive been told about some VERY good rock art sites in the Nellis area within the boundries of are 51.....so I would think thats all this is about. I HIGHLY DOUBT that the entire mystery of where the Anasasi wound up, is hidden on the Nellis range. I am sure this is just as it seams....a job opening for someone who can keep people out of the sites. A gaurd of sorts. ~Ranger~ would be a perfect description.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
In doing research for the Area 51 project, I stumbled upon this job posting for Edwards AFB. It is for a Range Rider that patrolls the base, and helps keep out intruders etc. But its not a security guard position, part of the job requires experience in antropology and describes protecting "Sites" from looters.

Thank goodness!!!! It's unbelievable what people will do to unprotected sites!

Having visited the Canyon De Chelly last winter and become facinated with the Anasazi, is it possible that the ultimate resting spot of thier civilization is hidden somewere in the Nellis / Area 51 Range?

No. They simply moved out of the area under the pressure of the droughts. Their descendants are still around, in fact. Some of them became the Hopi:
www.cultures.com...
...and other Puebloan groups:
www.desertusa.com...

Why would the military be looking for people to protect sites from looters?

This actually has to do with the relations between the local tribes and the military. You see the same thing in California, where (as an example) some of the Chumash sites are on military bases. They have had to come to legal agreements with the Chumash so that the tribespeople have access to their culturally significant sites and the military has its lands as well. It's a fairly recent development -- as recently as 20 years ago, one culturally valuable canyon in California (lots of petroglyphs) was part of a bombing target range.

Why would you need people with archeology experience?

To identify and survey and professionaly preserve the site and work with people who want access to it. Since they're also talking burials/houses/artifacts, they want someone who knows a knapped flint from a shattered stone. There's a lot of stuff on a site that may look insignificant to you but that tells a big story to an archaeologist. ("burned rock" that shows where people built fires is one good example. It takes a lot of looking before you learn what it looks like (I've been on one dig, and am slowly learning this stuff.))

Could the military be hiding clues about the ultimate fate of the Anasazi?

No. The flint and pottery technology of a people who migrated after a long drought aren't of interest to the military.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Here's a summary (you probably don't want the $40 document) of the archaeological sites at Edwards and some other military facilities:
www.stormingmedia.us...

Note that they found evidence of neglect and other problems -- which probably prompted someone to Move Their Tails And Do Something...like hire an archaeologist.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Come on Byrd, lets be creative here. The military is getting into kinetic energy weapons in a big way. They're working on KE tank rounds (I think it's called APFDS or something like that) DD(X) class destroyers armed with railguns, and the rods from god satellite weapon. The one thing they need to bring it all together is a really good arrow-head design.

I think this is proof positive that we have misunderstood ancient native Americans. They were using KE weapons, and our military is conspiring to monopolize this forgotten technology.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have several appointments. A bridge salesman's work is never done.

posted on Jul, 30 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

But, as far as I know, it is still not known what happened to the Anasazi...

They chopped down their forests...the rains stopped....the place dried up.....they migrated.

[edit on 2-8-2004 by Zero Point]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I haven't been able to find out anything. Then again, those I asked are probably not the best sources of information, my husband and his buddies who all work out on one of the flight-lines. I'd hoped maybe I'd missed a bit of news or some rumors floating around but it doesn't look like it.

The folks who dirtbike have to attend a few seminars about how to deal with desert wildlife so I'd halfheartedly hoped there was a "What To Do If You Stumble Across Something of Archaeological Interest" seminar.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help.

fishpig

top topics

join